Can't start my StandaloneVM anymore

faber

Mar 17, 2017, 12:38:41 PM3/17/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I have a Debian-9 StandaloneVM that I recently am unable to start it.
The only thing I've done, before getting stuck there, was removing
libreoffice (all packages), jack, mutt and icedove, nothing special.

logs from /var/log/xen/console/guest-dev.log:

https://share.riseup.net/#jt9PHXk7pbpDkz0ZKmwy7g

If you need anything else, please let me know!

Unman

Mar 17, 2017, 1:17:10 PM3/17/17
to faber, qubes...@googlegroups.com
If you start it using qvm-start what error do you see?
Once you have started it can you attah to the console from dom0 using
(as root) xl console <name> ?

cooloutac

Mar 17, 2017, 1:48:27 PM3/17/17
to qubes-users, fa...@wy6zk3pmcwiyhiao.onion, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

ya and if you can do that check apt log. I kill my debian system all the time removing or installing packages. I blindly click yes and don't realize its asking me if it can kill my system by removing desktop haha.

after reading about how when updating a template you could accidentally click yes to a not verified key I had to tell my family to make sure they read for that specific thing especially before hitting y. (this has nothing to do with your issue sorry)

cooloutac

Mar 17, 2017, 1:49:04 PM3/17/17
to qubes-users, fa...@wy6zk3pmcwiyhiao.onion, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

and when that happens you just keep trying till it gets a valid key.

faber

Mar 17, 2017, 2:23:28 PM3/17/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
unman:
> If you start it using qvm-start what error do you see?
> Once you have started it can you attah to the console from dom0 using
> (as root) xl console <name> ?

When it gets at

"starting the qrexec daemon..."

and

"Waiting for VM's qrexec agent......"

it goes timeout and says

"Cannot connect to 'standaloneVM' qrexec agent for 60 seconds, giving up
ERROR: Cannot execute qrexec-daemon!"

If I try to do sudo xl console 'standaloneVM' I get what I think is the
same output of the log that I posted before, but then it asks for login
credential of the VM (which I have no idea what they are)

Unman

Mar 17, 2017, 5:10:41 PM3/17/17
to cooloutac, qubes-users, fa...@wy6zk3pmcwiyhiao.onion
I hope this was a joke.
I have no sense of humour - do NOT do this.
It's a common situation and you will find many answers with a simple
search.

Unman

Mar 17, 2017, 5:14:16 PM3/17/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
log in as root, no password.
Then follow the advice an look at your apt logs - almost certainly you
have chosen to delete essential Qubes packages. Look in the apt logs and
see exactly what you did. As you have root access you can run any apt
tool to reinstall the missing packages.

unman

faber

Mar 18, 2017, 4:11:08 AM3/18/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Ok I've been able to log in, these are the last logs (I removed some
other programs that I didn't remember before, like imagemagick, but I
still don't think there is something wrong with it):
https://share.riseup.net/#TaSVuYAJQCblXyFZc0z2aQ

unman:

Unman

Mar 18, 2017, 9:19:04 AM3/18/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Plesae don't top post.

I think that you will find that your decision to remove qubes-gui-agent
and qubes-core-agent may have something to do with your problems.

As you have root access to the qube you can reinstall these packages and
packages on which they depend (e.g imagemagick).

Two points:
First, the qube was starting, as you discovered from attaching to the
console. Almost everything about your initial post was misleading.

Second, exactly this problem has been covered before on the list. A
simple search would have enabled you to understand your problem and fix
it yourself. Just saying.

unman

cooloutac

Mar 18, 2017, 2:11:50 PM3/18/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, fa...@wy6zk3pmcwiyhiao.onion, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

I'm starting to think you're the joke.

cooloutac

Mar 18, 2017, 2:14:07 PM3/18/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, fa...@wy6zk3pmcwiyhiao.onion, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

Instead of arrogantly telling someone to do a simple search if you are too lazy to give a solution. Do everyone a favor and keep your fucking mouth shut!

Holger Levsen

Mar 18, 2017, 2:50:51 PM3/18/17
to qubes-users
instead of attacking people on the list, please read https://www.qubes-os.org/code-of-conduct/

thanks.

--
cheers,
Holger

cooloutac

Mar 18, 2017, 6:22:20 PM3/18/17
to qubes-users, hol...@layer-acht.org

Well if this is gonna turn into the typical linux help channel with arrogant assholes insulting people askikng questions. Good Luck to Qubes...

cooloutac

Mar 18, 2017, 6:22:45 PM3/18/17
to qubes-users, hol...@layer-acht.org

Linux isn't unpopular cause its hard to use...

Andrew David Wong

Mar 18, 2017, 7:35:54 PM3/18/17
to Unman, cooloutac, qubes-users, fa...@wy6zk3pmcwiyhiao.onion

cooloutac