Is Template concept unique to Qubes?

franc...@tutamail.com

Mar 25, 2018, 11:08:19 PM3/25/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Security considerations aside, it's so convenient having shared root filesystems that can be updated once for multiple child-VMs.  Is this feature unique to Qubes or is something like this often replicated when using other hypervisor systems?

Specifically, I want to run a **not**-secure bleeding edge testbox that has gpu acceleration in dom0. (Example: archlinux + KVM). I know thin-provisioning (COW?) will allow one copy of OS on the filesystem to be re-used but is it possible to base multiple VM's on a single template like Qubes? Thanks for reading.

Zrubi

Mar 26, 2018, 12:39:51 AM3/26/18
to franc...@tutamail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

pixel fairy

Mar 28, 2018, 4:43:53 AM3/28/18
to qubes-users
On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 8:08:19 PM UTC-7, franc...@tutamail.com wrote:
> Security considerations aside, it's so convenient having shared root filesystems that can be updated once for multiple child-VMs.  Is this feature unique to Qubes or is something like this often replicated when using other hypervisor systems?
>
> Specifically, I want to run a **not**-secure bleeding edge testbox that has gpu acceleration in dom0. (Example: archlinux + KVM). I know thin-provisioning (COW?) will allow one copy of OS on the filesystem to be re-used but is it possible to base multiple VM's on a single template like Qubes? Thanks for reading.

docker and vagrant come to mind. you could also do this yourself the same way qubes does it with a root template and machine specific home disk, or some shared storage if that doesnt work. vagrant has a way to update and rebox existing vagrant boxes so you dont have to rebuild it every time you want to update. so theres that, or scripting it yourself with virsh or one of its bindings.

heres some notes on using kvmgt with libvirt, https://github.com/TobleMiner/KVMGT

if you do this, dont forget to make a usb canary, and maybe use the iommu to wall of other scary ports.