QUBES 4.0 | Installation issue: [Dom0] Qubes OS Setup, Configuring TemplateVM fedora-26 freezed

Emanuel Bory

Apr 4, 2018, 1:42:54 PM4/4/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys,

I have followed the instruction routine: using Rufus to prep. for a USB-based OS (testing).

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/installation-guide/

I stuck in the rebooting routine during 'Configuring TemplateVM fedora-26'.

I had to do a force shutdown. Now, I cannot boot anymore from my USB.

Some details:

Qubes 4.0; kept almost all on default values; enabled encryption

In the reboot setup I checked the Whoinx Tor option.

Hardware: Intel NUC7i7BNH and USB 256GB (prep. with Rufus)

I found this: "... Fedora installer that affect Qubes 3.2 (Bug 1170803,Bug 1374983, andBug 1268700; tracked in Qubes issue#2835) ..." Is my issue liked to this issue from R3.2?

Any help is very welcome.

Thanks!

lehrin...@stjoe.org

Apr 29, 2018, 6:23:42 AM4/29/18
to qubes-users
I have been unable to install due to the same error. Installing on USB 500gb hard drive.

john

Apr 30, 2018, 3:10:37 AM4/30/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 04/29/18 00:23, lehrin.morey-NNA0JV9C9t/Ytjvy...@public.gmane.org
wrote:
> I have been unable to install due to the same error. Installing on USB 500gb hard drive.

what do you mean by "same error", I think your just making it hard on
yourself, by using Tor to finish the install, if your not using an SSD
it *is very slow to do the final step of creating the Templates, I
suggest almost just let it run overnight at that stage , esp if you
don't have an SSD,

It is a little confusing at that stage, I myself pulled out the USB
media installer after it installed the 1st stage thinking I was done,
but I believe better just leave the USB drive in place.....and there
really is no reason to use Tor to install the Templates, unless your a
very high risk seems to me .....

just leave everything as the default, btw, does your NUC have the
Vt-d or IOMMU ? and how much RAM?

Drew White

May 6, 2018, 8:59:43 PM5/6/18
to qubes-users
On Monday, 30 April 2018 17:10:37 UTC+10, john wrote:
> On 04/29/18 00:23, lehrin.morey-NNA0JV9C9t/Ytjvy...@public.gmane.org
> wrote:
> > I have been unable to install due to the same error. Installing on USB 500gb hard drive.
> >

> what do you mean by "same error", I think your just making it hard on
> yourself, by using Tor to finish the install, if your not using an SSD
> it *is very slow to do the final step of creating the Templates, I
> suggest almost just let it run overnight at that stage , esp if you
> don't have an SSD,

When setting up the templates it should not take that long. they are already installed.
They are not saying it's setting up the guests like the sys-net and personal or banking. They are saying the actual template that takes about 30 seconds to configure because it's already installed.

I myself had mine take only 50 seconds to do the template configuration for Fedora. And that was not on an SSD.

cooloutac

May 7, 2018, 10:30:36 PM5/7/18
to qubes-users

Try without tor or without a usb vm.