(Slightly) Off topic: Getting packages >= version in fedora-24 into a tmplate VM?

Johannes Graumann

Apr 19, 2017, 6:01:49 PM4/19/17
to qubes-users
As a majorly debian & arch oriented person, I am faced with the
situation that the fedora-24 contained version of evolution which I
require for its EWS (Exchange) support, is broken with respect to
another functionality that I need to work (CardDAV). In debian I would
now go looking whether I could pull a successor version from testing or
stable ... what can one do in a fedora universe?

Sincerely, Joh

Reg Tiangha

Apr 19, 2017, 6:07:34 PM4/19/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
You could try upgrading to Fedora 25 if that has the version you're
looking for. Clone your Template (so you can go back to the old one if
there are any issues) and follow the instructions here:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade-23-to-24/

and just replace all instances of 23 and 24 with 24 and 25 respectively
and it should work. Qubes does have a repository for Fedora 25 packages
for VMs already, although there may be some issues with some packages
due to Fedora's shift from X to Wayland which is why I think there isn't
an official Fedora 25 template yet.

Johannes Graumann

Apr 20, 2017, 3:02:33 AM4/20/17
to Reg Tiangha, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for sharing this strategy. I went through with this using a
minimal template to reduce the impact with respect to disk acreage and
now have evolution running properly in an appvm based on that template
- just the gnome-keyring needs to be added on ...

Joh