Problem: Convert to Trusted PDF Hangs

Pushpins4u

Jan 13, 2017, 8:19:38 AM1/13/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I recently began downloading PDFs in an anon-whonix VM and wanted to sanitize them to move over to an offline VM attached to a storage USB.  Weeks ago I was able to navigate to my downloaded PDFs in the anon-whonix Tor Browser folder, right-click, and convert the PDFs successfully.  Copying them to my offline VM and attached USB drive worked fine.

When I try this process now, the PDF conversion progress window gets to like 95% full and then hangs.  I'm notified that a script appears to have hung and asked if it should be terminated.  This is happening consistently with the same PDF.

I'm up-to-date on my dom0.  Running on an HP EliteBook with i5 processor.

Ideas?

Thanks,
PP

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Ángel

Jan 13, 2017, 11:17:45 AM1/13/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Pushpins4u wrote:
> When I try this process now, the PDF conversion progress window gets
> to like 95% full and then hangs. I'm notified that a script appears
> to have hung and asked if it should be terminated. This is happening
> consistently with the same PDF.

Does it only fail with *this* PDF (ie. you are still able to convert
other pdfs)?

It seems a problem with this specific pdf. pdf is a complex
specification so it's not that strange that there could be some special
case where the processor could apparently hang (I'm sure it's possible
to create a pdf requiring much more memory than could be available, for
instance).
If it's not confidential, the way to figure out why it fails would
involve sharing it with some dev...

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 4:26:07 PM1/13/17
to qubes-users, pushp...@protonmail.com
copy the file to some other untrusted or disposablevm and see if it works there.

Pushpins4u

Jan 14, 2017, 9:03:15 AM1/14/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Forwarding to list.

copy the file to some other untrusted or disposablevm and see if it works there.

That gave a clue.  Copying the untrusted PDF to my untrusted domain and attempting the conversion there resulted in the same behavior.  However, instead of receiving a "script hanging" error I received this message:
"Merging pages failed: convert: unable to extent pixel cache `No such file or directory' @ fatal/cache.c/CacheSignalHandler/3394."

Each time after I received the OS pop-up message:
"Warning: insufficient memory to start disp<n+1>"

And this error window:
"The remote party return invalid no of pages, aborting!"

-pp4u

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2017, 11:35:11 PM1/17/17
to qubes-users, pushp...@protonmail.com
well maybe someone who knows what those errors mean can chime in. so only with the same pdf? is it a very large file? u sure you not running out of ram or space? Are you using fedora or debian? whats your pc specs?