Dell XPS 9560 4k resolution issues

David Nogueira

Jun 23, 2017, 10:51:17 AM6/23/17
to qubes-users
Hi all,

I have been struggling to find a good way to use my 4k display. For context, I have looked for setting HiDPI, am aware of https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1951 and others, but at least for now I see HiDPI as a half solution.

I don't care about my full screen resolution in Qubes, so I am ok in setting it to something like 1920x1080, the issue is I am not being able to. Since the only mode available in xrandr is 3840x2160 I am forced to add a new mode.

I ran cvt 1920 1080 60 in dom0, get:

Modeline "1920x1080 60.00" 173.00 1920 2048 2248 2576 1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync

I --newmode and --addmode to default and when I try setting the mode:

xrandr --verbose --output default --mode 1920x1080_60.00
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
crtc 0: disable
screen 0: 1920x1080 508x286 mm 95.92dpi
crtc 0: 1920x1080_60.00 59.96 +0+0 "default"
xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed
crtc 0: disable
screen 0: revert
crtc 0: revert

I have tried a few things, ran out of ideas, sorry if this is a bit too basic but am a bit stuck.

Best.
David

randy march

Jun 30, 2017, 5:37:58 AM6/30/17
to qubes-users
I have the same notebook like you.
I simply go to system tools - display and change resolution to 1920x1080.

But I would like to have a 4k resolution with scaled everything...

how can you do this?

will qubes 4.0 solve this issue?

David Nogueira

Jun 30, 2017, 6:02:46 AM6/30/17
to qubes-users, vincent.ma...@gmail.com

Hi Randy,

I only have one resolution showing, and that is what I am trying to change. Does your brightness control work?

What versions of Qubes do you have? and which kernel? Also which kernel options?

I believe I read somewhere HiDPI will be better supported in 4.0

Thanks!

David

randy

Jul 2, 2017, 1:05:29 AM7/2/17
to qubes-users

my brightness control and everything else works.
I installed the latest version of qubes with the standard configuration.

the only think I changed was the wlan card cause the broadcom wlan card does not work with qubes.

Eric Duncan

Jul 7, 2017, 12:17:55 AM7/7/17
to qubes-users

When I had ArchLinux on my Thinkpad, I found out that Gnome had at least 3 different UX frameworks that needed scaling (built-in, GTK and Qt). Each one had their own setting files.

R3.2 uses Xfce. I believe apps continue to use GTK and Qt though. So I would start there (each has their own scaling properties).

I couldn't stand Qubes and Xfce and basically back to my beloved i3wm tiling manager when I installed Qubes (it gave me a nice excuse to go back to i3 after I left i3 for Gnome's latest touchscreen goodies and eye candy).

With i3wm, it's easy to scale the fonts in the config file however i like. I spend 96.21% of my time in terminals any ways.

GTK and Qt apps still need to be scaled. I used some of the Xfce user settings apps to do it and it seemed to handle most of the windows I care about anyways. Only thing left was Chromium and Tor Browser (I have yet to find a good way to scale Tor Browser bundle).