Failed to add USB controller to App VM

neilh...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 4:39:46 PM9/29/16
to qubes-users
I am using Qubes 3.2 rc2

I need to use an external USB WiFI device.

I was told in a previous thread that I need to attach the entire USB controller, rather than just using qvm-usb -a

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/o8zUPDdA0Vs/8LkwfalPCAAJ;context-place=topic/qubes-users/o8zUPDdA0Vs

However, when I do this, I get the following error message:

"

Error starting VM 'anon-whonix': internal error: Unable to reset PCI device 0000:00:14.0: no FLR, PM reset or bus reset available

"

What is the solution here..? I'm adding a USB controller to anon-whonix. Thanks.

Andrew David Wong

Sep 30, 2016, 5:55:35 AM9/30/16
to neilh...@gmail.com, qubes-users

neilh...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2016, 6:13:23 AM9/30/16
to qubes-users, neilh...@gmail.com
OK, this seems to be what I need.

One further question...

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/dom0-tools/qvm-prefs/

"

pci_strictreset
Accepted values: True, False

Control whether prevent assigning to VM a device which does not support any reset method. Generally such devices should not be assigned to any VM, because there will be no way to reset device state after VM shutdown, so the device could attack next VM to which it will be assigned. But in some cases it could make sense - for example when the VM to which it is assigned is trusted one, or is running all the time.

"

---

So... if you were to shut down and restart your entire computer (not just VMs), would the device state be reset to a safe state...?

Or is this just going to make it unsafe forever..?

Thanks

Andrew David Wong

Sep 30, 2016, 6:17:04 AM9/30/16
to neilh...@gmail.com, qubes-users

neilh...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2016, 11:58:03 AM9/30/16
to qubes-users, neilh...@gmail.com
OK this works.

For anyone reading this in the future.. yes, it works.

You'll notice that sys-usb has False as its setting for this, hence how sys-usb is able to boot without this error message.

So yes, set it to False and now USB WiFi networking devices work.