How to use qvm-open-in-vm?

Adam Mercer

May 30, 2021, 1:38:08 AM5/30/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm trying to use qvm-open-in-vm to open a link in the browser of
another AppVM, I run the following:

$ qvm-open-in-vm browser https://www.google.com

where "browser" is the name of the qube AppVM that I want to open the
link in, this opens a dialog asking me to select a target domain. It
is ignoring the name of the AppVM I specify on the command line.
According to the help message for qvm-open-in-vm I should be able to
specify the name of the AppVM, but it seems that it's being ignored.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Adam

Sven Semmler

May 30, 2021, 11:13:22 PM5/30/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 5/30/21 12:37 AM, Adam Mercer wrote:
> this opens a dialog asking me to select a target domain

check your /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.OpenURL

If you want your example to work add this line before all others:

$anyvm browser allow

The first is the source qube ... the one calling qvm-open-in-vm.
The second is the target 'browser' in your example. The third is either
'deny', 'ask' or 'allow'

/Sven

--
public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/2A632C537D744BC7.asc
fingerprint: DA59 75C9 ABC4 0C83 3B2F 620B 2A63 2C53 7D74 4BC7

OpenPGP_signature

Adam Mercer

May 31, 2021, 12:32:37 AM5/31/21
to Sven Semmler, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 8:13 PM Sven Semmler <Sv...@svensemmler.org> wrote:

> check your /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.OpenURL
>
> If you want your example to work add this line before all others:
>
> $anyvm browser allow
>
> The first is the source qube ... the one calling qvm-open-in-vm.
> The second is the target 'browser' in your example. The third is either
> 'deny', 'ask' or 'allow'

Thanks a lot! That does exactly what I'm after!

Cheers

Adam

Ulrich Windl

Jun 9, 2021, 4:41:56 PM6/9/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 5/31/21 5:12 AM, Sven Semmler wrote:
> On 5/30/21 12:37 AM, Adam Mercer wrote:
>> this opens a dialog asking me to select a target domain
>
> check your /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.OpenURL
>
> If you want your example to work add this line before all others:
>
> $anyvm browser allow

Curious:
Does the line
$anyvm $dispvm allow
mean it'll be allowed for any disposable VM?

Andrew David Wong

Jun 9, 2021, 6:57:56 PM6/9/21
to Ulrich Windl, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 6/9/21 1:41 PM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> On 5/31/21 5:12 AM, Sven Semmler wrote:
>> On 5/30/21 12:37 AM, Adam Mercer wrote:
>>> this opens a dialog asking me to select a target domain
>>
>> check your /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.OpenURL
>>
>> If you want your example to work add this line before all others:
>>
>> $anyvm browser allow
>
> Curious:
> Does the line
> $anyvm  $dispvm allow
> mean it'll be allowed for any disposable VM?

No, it means that any VM is allowed to cause a new DisposableVM to be
created in which that type of thing (i.e., file or URL, depending on the
policy file containing this line) will then be opened.

--
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS

OpenPGP_signature