Installations Problems

Markus Tester

Dec 14, 2019, 10:45:25 AM12/14/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone

Today i tried to install Cubes OS on my new Laptop (Acer Nitro 5 with a Nvidea Geforce GTX 1050). I checked the BIOS for VTX and VTD, both are enabled alongside of UEFI and Secure boot.
I downloaded Qubes-R4.0.1-x86_64.iso checked the signature, and tried to boot it. The only response i was given was Security Boot Fail. i tried it without secure boot, sadly i was just given a blank screen and the noise of the fans going to max.
Back in the BIOS i discovered that my laptop don't have a legacy option.

So i went to "Installation freezes before displaying installer" in the doc, and after figuring out that the ANACONDA partition is the one to edit commented noexitboot=1 mapbs=1 out.

So finally i got to the installer, touch-pad sadly not working. After 5 seconds the screen went blank. I rebooted and tried again but still after 5 seconds i got a black screen.

And that's the Point i am now completely stuck.

Greedings Markus

awokd

Dec 14, 2019, 1:16:17 PM12/14/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Markus Tester:
Sounds like you are pretty close. Check
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/nvidia-troubleshooting/#disabling-nouveau
and add nouveau.modeset=0 to the appropriate line in that same file you
edited before.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Elmo

Mar 19, 2020, 8:25:31 PM3/19/20
to qubes-users

Hi, we seem to have the same laptop.

You mention this documentation regarding freezing:

> So i went to "Installation freezes before displaying installer" in the doc, and
> after figuring out that the ANACONDA partition is the one to edit commented
> |noexitboot=1 mapbs=1 out.|

Can you lead me to a layman's DIY of the three steps in how to "Change the xen configuration on a USB media" at the top of this document?
1 - How to "mount the EFI partition"?
2 - How can I be "su", and edit the xen config with the kernel key changes?

Then any steps you took if you had success in completing the installation.

Cheers,