[Security] Anti-evil-maid didn't notice Xen update ?

Swâmi Petaramesh

Nov 30, 2016, 2:09:46 AM11/30/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

I use Qubes 3.2 (recent, default installation) with anti-evil-maid on HP
ProBook 6470b.

Anti-evil-maid is installed to HD /boot per instructions, TPM is
protected by a password, and I use a "secret" image instead of text.

So far everything seemed to work.

However this morning I had a Xen upgrade in dom0, and, as documented, I
was expecting it to break my AEM secret image display at next reboot.

So after upgrading Xen in dom0 I rebooted the system and... nothing
special hapenned. AEM displayed my "secret" image as usual, without any
unusual behaviour or warning whatsoever.

So I wonder : Is AEM actually working on my system ?

Any clue appreciated.

TIA.

Kind regards.

--
Swâmi Petaramesh <sw...@petaramesh.org> PGP 9076E32E

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Nov 30, 2016, 3:41:09 AM11/30/16
to Swâmi Petaramesh, qubes-users
Check if the latest xen version installed is actually the xen version running.

I had an issue where the update did not modify the appropriate EFI
variables and I was still running the old version after the update.
This issue has been addressed, but perhaps not completely.

You can check the versions with the following:

# for version running:
[user@dom0 ~]$ xl dmesg | head -1
Xen 4.6.3-22.fc23

# for version installed:
[user@dom0 ~]$ rpm -q xen-hypervisor
xen-hypervisor-4.6.3-22.fc23.x86_64

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Swâmi Petaramesh <sw...@petaramesh.org> wrote:
> So I wonder : Is AEM actually working on my system ?

That is definitely something that should be tested while setting up
and not something that should only come into question at a time like
this. Make backups, flip some bits, and see what happens? ;)

Swâmi Petaramesh

Nov 30, 2016, 4:52:50 AM11/30/16
to Jean-Philippe Ouellet, qubes-users
Hi,

On 11/30/2016 09:40 AM, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
> Check if the latest xen version installed is actually the xen version running.
[root@dom0 ~]$ xl dmesg | head -1
Xen 4.6.3-24.fc23

[root@dom0 ~]$ rpm -q xen-hypervisor
xen-hypervisor-4.6.3-24.fc23.x86_64

[root@dom0 ~]$ rpm -qi xen-hypervisor
Install date: mer. 30 nov 2016 07:46:15 CET

...So it's the latest Xen, updated this morning, and AEM doesn't seem to
care.

> I had an issue where the update did not modify the appropriate EFI
> variables and I was still running the old version after the update.
> This issue has been addressed, but perhaps not completely.

I'm BIOS legacy boot mode, as AEM documentation advises that booting in
EFI mode is not supported...

>> So I wonder : Is AEM actually working on my system ?
> That is definitely something that should be tested while setting up
> and not something that should only come into question at a time like
> this. Make backups, flip some bits, and see what happens? ;)

Uh, Haven't had the time : I installed Qubes on this system one week
ago, and AEM 2 days ago... ;-)

Thanks for your help !

Kind regards.

Chris Laprise

Nov 30, 2016, 6:24:49 AM11/30/16
to Swâmi Petaramesh, qubes-users
Hi,

Can you restore your system to the point it was just before the Xen
update? This would allow you to reproduce the behavior.

Chris

Rusty Bird

Nov 30, 2016, 9:18:33 AM11/30/16
to Swâmi Petaramesh, qubes-users

David Hobach

Nov 30, 2016, 1:36:47 PM11/30/16
On 11/30/2016 08:09 AM, Swâmi Petaramesh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use Qubes 3.2 (recent, default installation) with anti-evil-maid on HP
> ProBook 6470b.
>
> Anti-evil-maid is installed to HD /boot per instructions, TPM is
> protected by a password, and I use a "secret" image instead of text.
>
> So far everything seemed to work.
>
> However this morning I had a Xen upgrade in dom0, and, as documented, I
> was expecting it to break my AEM secret image display at next reboot.
>
> So after upgrading Xen in dom0 I rebooted the system and... nothing
> special hapenned. AEM displayed my "secret" image as usual, without any
> unusual behaviour or warning whatsoever.
>
> So I wonder : Is AEM actually working on my system ?

Apparently not.

I made the same experience in the past and couldn't identify the root
cause neither (I tested most of the stuff mentioned before).

My old thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=topic/qubes-users/xNIiSyJQD0E#!topic/qubes-users/xNIiSyJQD0E
https://sourceforge.net/p/trousers/mailman/message/34257631/

I'm also not sure about whether or not to trust the Chinese no-name
manufacturer... Maybe the TPM just reports everything as valid? At least
sounds like a simple implementation that doesn't get noticed 99% of the
time.

But if you find anything I'd be interested.

In total I'd though say that physical security is a _much better_
counter-measure than TPM usage for AEM scenarios (as long as you're
using Qubes and not some monolithic OS). So what about a locked case for
your laptop, maybe even with some noisy alarm if not opened correctly? ;-)
Or just always carry it with you...
Also helps against hardware attacks. Okay they can still knock you out,
but if it has gone that far, you'll have some different problems anyway.

Swâmi Petaramesh

Dec 1, 2016, 10:34:16 AM12/1/16
to qubes-users, rust...@openmailbox.org
Hi Rusty Bird, and thanks for your help,

Please see below.

> Is the SINIT module working? Run the "find" command from step 2b of
> /usr/share/doc/anti-evil-maid/README, but look at the lines for PCRs
> 17, 18, and 19 instead: They should have very random-looking values.

Uh... Lines 17-19 are all FF

On my system :

PCR-00 to 07 look random
PCR-08 to 12 are all 00
PCR-13 looks random
PCR-14 to 16 are all 00
PCR-17 to 22 are all FF
PCR-23 are all 00

So the problem seems to be there... But I don't know what to do with
this (I know almost nothing about TPM...)

> Is AEM sealing to the right registers? If you run the command
> "source /etc/anti-evil-maid.conf; echo $SEAL" in dom0, it should print
> "--pcr 13 --pcr 17 --pcr 18 --pcr 19".

This is OK.

> Did the unsealed image somehow end up in the wrong place? The file
> /usr/share/plymouth/themes/qubes-dark/antievilmaid_secret.png should
> *not* exist in dom0.

This is OK as well.

Thanks again for your help.

signature.asc

Rusty Bird

Dec 1, 2016, 2:22:26 PM12/1/16
to Swâmi Petaramesh, qubes-users

Swâmi Petaramesh

Dec 4, 2016, 5:47:37 AM12/4/16
to qubes-users, rust...@openmailbox.org
Hi Rusty, Hi all,

Le 01/12/2016 à 20:23, Rusty Bird a écrit :
>> Uh... Lines 17-19 are all FF

> Well, the good news is we've definitely narrowed down the problem. :)
>
> Are you sure you've successfully copied the *right* SINIT blob for your
> system to /boot? (Intel's download page is... not great.)

Stupid me. I had first thought that if I could see the PCR-* lines and
initialize TPM, it meant that my kernel managed the TPM by itself and
didn't need this file... So I had't installed it at all.

I now have downloaded 3rd_gen_i5_i7_SINIT_67.BIN from Intel, installed
it per instructions, completely redone everything (including resetting
the TPM chip in BIOS, uninstalling and reinstallind the AEM RPM...

But still, lines 17-19 remain all FF :-(

> Does "ls /boot/*SINIT*.BIN" - note the uppercase for both the name and
> the extension) show exactly one file?

Yes, it does.
signature.asc

Rusty Bird

Dec 4, 2016, 9:55:25 AM12/4/16
to Swâmi Petaramesh, qubes-users

Swâmi Petaramesh

Dec 4, 2016, 10:05:44 AM12/4/16
to qubes-users, rust...@openmailbox.org
Hi again,

On 12/04/2016 03:54 PM, Rusty Bird wrote:

> Maybe your system still doesn't boot into AEM mode for some reason.
>
> Does /proc/cmdline in dom0 contain "rd.antievilmaid" at the end? If not:
Yes, it does.
> In the GRUB boot menu, do you choose the entry "AEM Qubes, with Xen
> hypervisor"? If there is no such entry, you may have to rerun the
> "anti-evil-maid-install" command.
It also does.

I also get correctly prompted for the TPM key, AND I can also see my
secret image displayed while I am prompted for the HD password.

So I for sure boot in AEM mode, and it "looks like" it's working, but if
I upgrade the kernel (there was a kernel upgrade today), AEM doesn't
notice and still happily displays my secret image :-(

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards.

Rusty Bird

Dec 4, 2016, 10:10:28 AM12/4/16
to Swâmi Petaramesh, qubes-users

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jan 12, 2017, 7:42:51 AM1/12/17
to qubes-users, rust...@openmailbox.org, Matt McCutchen, Swâmi Petaramesh

Matt McCutchen

Jan 12, 2017, 9:51:50 AM1/12/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users, rust...@openmailbox.org, Swâmi Petaramesh
On Thu, 2017-01-12 at 13:42 +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 04:32:50PM +0100, Swâmi Petaramesh wrote:
> > Hi Rusty Bird, and thanks for your help,
> >
> > Please see below.
> >

> > > Is the SINIT module working? Run the "find" command from step 2b of
> > > /usr/share/doc/anti-evil-maid/README, but look at the lines for PCRs
> > > 17, 18, and 19 instead: They should have very random-looking values.
> >
> > Uh... Lines 17-19 are all FF
> >
> > On my system :

> > So the problem seems to be there... But I don't know what to do with
> > this (I know almost nothing about TPM...)
>
> Rusty, Matt rightly just pointed out to Qubes Security Team that the
> current behaviour of AEM could be misleading. AEM should refuse to work
> if TXT isn't really working - otherwise it's easy to not notice it and
> have false sense of security.

Thanks marmarek for pointing me to the existing thread. My search was
not good enough. :(

I filed https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2569 to help
make sure we don't forget about this.

Matt

Swâmi Petaramesh

Jan 12, 2017, 10:07:43 AM1/12/17
to Matt McCutchen, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users, rust...@openmailbox.org
Hi Matt, Marek and all,

Thanks for coming back on this.

I have personally uninstalled AEM from both of my HP systems as I
realized it wasn't actually working AND anyway gave me this false sense
of security - plus the fact that installing an SSD cache on one of the
machines broke it completely dead (AEM exiting to initramfs, complaining
that it found the root fs "unexpectedly unencrypted").

For the record, it is broken on :

- HP EliteBook 820 G1 (Intel 4th gen Core i5)

- HP Probook 6470B 5 (Intel 3rd gen Core i5)

...Both using the correct SINIT module as far as I can tell.

...Both showing the symptoms described above (PCR-17 to 22 staying
desperately FF)

Also, I understood (at least I think I understood...) from tboot
documentation (which I believe AEM uses) that it works only for systems
that have iommu, which is the case for my HP EliteBook 820 but
apparently not for my Probook 6470B (too bad I bought this machine with
the idea of using it in the future with Qubes 4.0, but it seems it won't
be compatible).

Currently AEM doesn't complain if iommu is unavailable. tboot README
advises to boot Xen with "iommu=required", but AEM seems not to set this
up this way...

Best regards.

Matt McCutchen

Jan 12, 2017, 10:38:23 AM1/12/17
to Swâmi Petaramesh, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users, rust...@openmailbox.org
To the original point of this thread (figuring out /why/ the measured
boot isn't working):

The way I found to do this is to configure tboot to log to the screen
by setting (for example) "logging=vga vga_delay=10" on the "multiboot
/tboot.gz" line in grub.cfg. The Qubes default setting is
"logging=memory,serial", but I don't have a serial console on hand and
I couldn't find an obvious way to retrieve the "logging=memory" data
from within Qubes. (The "txt-stat" tool doesn't show anything;
possibly it would work if I were booting Linux without Xen.)

The relevant part of the log for my Lenovo ThinkPad L430:

TBOOT: IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL_MSR: 00000005
TBOOT: CPU is SMX_capable
TBOOT: ERR: SENTER disabled by feature control MSR (5)
TBOOT: SMX not supported.

Matt

Rusty Bird

Jan 12, 2017, 1:02:19 PM1/12/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users, Matt McCutchen, Swâmi Petaramesh