Kali VM no longer responding

Lucas Arnström

Dec 11, 2016, 3:37:16 PM12/11/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I have been using a debian template converted into kali for quite
some time. But recently, neither the kali template nor any appvms based
on it are responding. I can start the vms just fine, but cant do much
other than that. It seems to be some recent change that induced this
problem, considering i have been able to use the very same vms for quite
some time. But after my last update they all stopped working.

I have attempted to do a complete rebuild of my kali template. I got
everything set up, but as soon as I restarted the template I got the
same issue again.

I'm attaching the logs.

// Lucas
kali-log.txt
signature.asc

qubenix

Dec 11, 2016, 7:01:53 PM12/11/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Lucas Arnström:
I've had this same experience after a dist-upgrade on my debian-9
template (d9) about 12 hours ago. I had made a clone of this template
about two weeks ago and added the kali repos and some packages.
Strangely, my kali template (and AppVM based on it) work normal even
though it was also upgraded at the same time.

```
user@dom0:~$ qvm-run -p d9 gnome-terminal
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:
```

--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

a.mc...@yandex.com

Dec 11, 2016, 7:36:44 PM12/11/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
That means not only me has the same issue with debian-9 template. I've started reinstalling template.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 11, 2016, 9:55:53 PM12/11/16
to a.mc...@yandex.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

qubenix

Dec 12, 2016, 12:05:15 PM12/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
Doesn't seem to be fixed in stretch, stretch-testing, or
stretch-securitytesting yet.

```
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -p d9 "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
dist-upgrade -y"
Hit:1 http://vwakviie2ienjx6t.onion/debian stretch InRelease
Hit:2 http://sgvtcaew4bxjd7ln.onion stretch/updates InRelease
Hit:3 http://deb.qubes-os.org/r3.2/vm stretch-testing InRelease
Hit:4 http://deb.qubes-os.org/r3.2/vm stretch-securitytesting InRelease
Reading package lists...
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Calculating upgrade...
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -p d9 "sudo dpkg -l" | grep qubes-guiii
qubes-gui-agent 3.2.8+deb9u1
amd64 Makes X11 windows available to qubes dom0
```
--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

qubenix

Dec 12, 2016, 12:07:20 PM12/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 12, 2016, 4:33:34 PM12/12/16
to qubenix, qubes...@googlegroups.com

qubenix

Dec 12, 2016, 6:59:35 PM12/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
At one point I was using Rustybirds update cache proxy, but I've since
switched back to a whonix-gw and unchecked "Allow connections to Updates
Proxy".

I have two debian-9 templates, and they both were connected to update
cache and are now connected to whonix-gw. Here's the results from my two
debian-9 templates (one is using stretch-testing and
stretch-securitytesting the other has only stretch-testing although I
don't think that should matter):

```
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -p d9 "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
dist-upgrade -y -V"
Hit:1 http://vwakviie2ienjx6t.onion/debian stretch InRelease
Hit:2 http://sgvtcaew4bxjd7ln.onion stretch/updates InRelease
Hit:3 http://deb.qubes-os.org/r3.2/vm stretch-testing InRelease
Hit:4 http://deb.qubes-os.org/r3.2/vm stretch-securitytesting InRelease
Reading package lists...
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Calculating upgrade...
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -p d9-kali "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
dist-upgrade -y -V"
Hit:1 http://vwakviie2ienjx6t.onion/debian stretch InRelease
Hit:2 http://sgvtcaew4bxjd7ln.onion stretch/updates InRelease
Hit:3 http://deb.qubes-os.org/r3.2/vm stretch-testing InRelease
Hit:5 http://deb.bitmask.net/debian stretch InRelease
Hit:4 http://archive-3.kali.org/kali kali-rolling InRelease
Reading package lists...
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Calculating upgrade...
qubes-gui-agent (3.2.8+deb9u1 => 3.2.11-1+deb9u1)
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-run -p d9-kali "sudo aptitude dist-upgrade"
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Reading extended state information...
Initializing package states...
Building tag database...
xserver-xorg-input-qubes{ab} xserver-xorg-video-dummyqbs{ab}
qubes-gui-agent
1 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 66.5 kB of archives. After unpacking 36.9 kB will be used.
xserver-xorg-video-dummyqbs : Depends: xorg-video-abi-23 which is a
virtual package, provided by:
- xserver-xorg-core
(2:1.19.0-2), but 2:1.18.4-2 is installed

Depends: xserver-xorg-core (>=
2:1.18.99.901) but 2:1.18.4-2 is installed
xserver-xorg-input-qubes : Depends: xorg-input-abi-24 which is a
virtual package, provided by:
- xserver-xorg-core (2:1.19.0-2),
but 2:1.18.4-2 is installed

Depends: xserver-xorg-core (>=
2:1.18.99.901) but 2:1.18.4-2 is installed

Keep the following packages at their current version:
1) qubes-gui-agent [3.2.8+deb9u1 (now)]
2) xserver-xorg-input-qubes [Not Installed]
3) xserver-xorg-video-dummyqbs [Not Installed]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
```

--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

qubenix

Dec 12, 2016, 7:22:51 PM12/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
qubenix:
I fixed the second template (d9-kali) by issuing:

sudo apt-get install -t stretch xserver-xorg-core
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That fixed my dependency problem and upgraded/installed the 3 packages.
Still, though, my d9 template is acting as though there is no package to
upgrade.

--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

qubenix

Dec 12, 2016, 7:35:28 PM12/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
qubenix:
And here's the facepalm: I had accidentally put deb-src in my
qubes-r3.list instead of deb. After fixing that my upgrade went smoothly
on the d9 template.

--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

Foppe de Haan

Dec 13, 2016, 3:40:46 AM12/13/16
to qubes-users, qub...@riseup.net
thanks, this was the issue for me as well.

J. Eppler

Dec 15, 2016, 8:16:20 AM12/15/16
to qubes-users, qub...@riseup.net
Hello @qubenix,

I am interested in your Kali installation process. Did you run into any trouble during the installation? Did you follow the KaliVM installation instructions: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/pentesting/kali/?

regards
j. Eppler

qubenix

Dec 15, 2016, 12:14:07 PM12/15/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
J. Eppler:
Yes, followed the instructions from documentation until it came to
package installation. I *did not* attempt to install kali-linux-full,
use katoolin script, or any similar. I just install the packages as I
need to keep it minimal. Basically I have a debian-9 VM with Kali repos
added.

I also have a Kali i386 image that I will run in a standalone HVM when I
need to debug a 32 bit package. Although just yesterday I learned of
`dpkg --add-architecture i386`, which I had to do to my debian-9/Kali
template to get wine32. So now I may be able to do everything in just
one AppVM.

In summation, I've successfully followed both sets of instructions in
the Qubes docs, but skipped steps 6 and 11 in the "Create Debian Based
Kali Template" section and modified step 10 to only pull in the packages
I need.

--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

J. Eppler

Dec 16, 2016, 10:42:39 AM12/16/16
to qubes-users, qub...@riseup.net
Hello,

thank you very much for the detailed answer.

best regards
J. Eppler