Trouble installing Windows SP1 7 64-bit on Qubes 3.2

Swâmi Petaramesh

Dec 6, 2016, 5:07:52 AM12/6/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

I run Qubes 3.2 on an HP ProBook 6470b laptop

I'm trying to install Windows 7 64-bit SP1 following instructions :
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hvm/

I'm using an ISO file sitting in an AppVM.

I could create the VM and start it, it first starts in character mode
and displays a "Windows is loading files..." progress bar (so I'm sure
that the VM boots and can access the ISO image), then shifts to graphics
mode and displays "Starting Windows" in a nice font, and then... sits
there forever without any visible activity, and no error message.

Any clue ?

I know that my Qubes setup is able to run Windows 7 in an HVM as I have
created another Win7 HVM, with a Windows 7 converted from a VirtualBox
installation, and it works good. But this one is 32-bit, and I'm trying
to install a 64-bit version as I read that Qubes Windows tools support
only a 64-bit Windows installation...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards.

Jarle Thorsen

Dec 6, 2016, 7:53:58 AM12/6/16
to qubes-users
I have experienced the same thing (and was actually just now about to create a new topic when I saw you beat me to it).

As far as I can tell the problem is caused by some update to the system (using qubes-dom0-update) as everything works just fine on a fresh Qubes 3.2 system.

This is my experience:

1. Installed Qubes 3.2
2. Installed Windows 32-bit HVM just fine.
3. (started testing QubesOS, including updating dom0)
4. Discovered that I should have installed win7-x64 in the first place.
5. Tried installing win7-x64, but booting the install media hung at exactly the same place as described by thread starter.
6. Made a fresh install of Qubes 3.2 and now win7-x64 installed just fine.
7. (started testing QubesOS, including updating dom0)
8. Now I want to make a win7-x64 Template, using the same install media, and I am once again stuck...

How should we proceed to debug what is causing this problem?

a.mc...@yandex.com

Dec 7, 2016, 2:46:50 AM12/7/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/qubes-users/2q19jFeTFGk

The article helped me to solve the same issue with Windows installation.

Regards.

Swâmi Petaramesh

Dec 7, 2016, 5:34:32 AM12/7/16
to a.mc...@yandex.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

On 12/07/2016 08:46 AM, a.mc...@yandex.com wrote:
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/qubes-users/2q19jFeTFGk

The article helped me to solve the same issue with Windows installation.

That's great ! It works for me too !

Quoting the interesting part  from the article :

I found you can pass a custom config to qvm-start. I copied the config for the vm to another location (from /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/win7/win7.conf in my case) and edited the line in domain->devices->video->model and changed the type from 'xen' to 'cirrus'. So the result looked like this:

<model type='cirrus' vram='16384' />

Then I started the vm with:
qvm-start win7 --custom-config=[path to new config]

This allowed me to get past the install hang. I haven't completed the install yet, so don't know if it'll be necessary once the install is complete.

Thank you very much for the hint.

Kind regards.

--

Swâmi Petaramesh <sw...@petaramesh.org> PGP 9076E32E

Jarle Thorsen

Dec 7, 2016, 7:55:27 AM12/7/16
to qubes-users, a.mc...@yandex.com
> That's great ! It works for me too !
>

> Quoting the interesting part  from the article :
>

> I found you can pass a custom config to
> qvm-start. I copied the config for the vm to another location
> (from /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/win7/win7.conf in my case) and
> edited the line in domain->devices->video->model and
> changed the type from 'xen' to 'cirrus'. So the result looked like
> this:
>

> <model type='cirrus' vram='16384' />
>

> Then I started the vm with:
>
> qvm-start win7 --custom-config=[path to new config]
>

> This allowed me to get past the install hang. I haven't completed
> the install yet, so don't know if it'll be necessary once the
> install is complete.
>

> Thank you very much for the hint.

I can confirm that this also solved the problem for me. I guess this bug needs to be reported so that it may be fixed?

bal...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2017, 1:19:47 PM2/9/17
to qubes-users
I have the same Problem :(
When I change the model type to Cirrus,then appear a libvirtError that doesn't make any sense to me:

Orignal Message: libvirt.libvirtError: Operation schlug fehl: Domain 'win7x64test2' ist bereits mit UUID xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx definiert

In english it should be something like: libvirt.libvirtError: operation failed: Domain 'win7x64test2' already exists with UUID xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

The Original command that I run:
qvm-start win7x64test2 --cdrom=/home/dave/Schreibtisch/win7_x64.iso --custom-config=/home/dave/Schreibtisch/win7x64test2.conf

Can anyone help me please??

01v3g4n10

Feb 9, 2017, 1:33:40 PM2/9/17
to qubes-users, bal...@gmail.com

I was having the same issue, but these instructions worked for me.

Jarle Thorsen

Feb 9, 2017, 1:56:25 PM2/9/17
to qubes-users, bal...@gmail.com

Run "virsh undefine win7x64test2" in dom0, then try again.