Help: Qubes dom0 update interrupted, kernel panic resulted

Otto Kratik

Oct 2, 2018, 6:50:58 PM10/2/18
to qubes-users
Qubes 3.2

Last night I was updating dom0, but in the middle of the update I accidentally hit some keys on the keyboard, which I now in hindsight realize must have included Ctrl-Z.

At that point the update just stopped and froze at item 13/42 which just so happened to be qubes kernel 4.14.67-1.

I tried to exit the console but was told there were stopped jobs (update was backgrounded no doubt). Not knowing any better in the moment, I force restarted my computer and retried the dom0 update.

It did successfully re-download and install the new kernel, but also said that was the only new thing to be installed, and did not make any attempt to pick up where it left off and download the other remaining items, 14-through-42 of 42. I did qubes-dom0-update a few more times with the same result - it says there's nothing new available. The system seemed to think and act as though the other packages had all already been updated/installed, even though they hadn't.

The next time I tried a reboot, the boot-up failed with a kernel panic and went into a boot loop. Choosing advanced options and using the older kernel 4.14.57-1 allowed me to boot up, and here I am.

So what should I do from here? Is there any way to force the dom0 update to refresh or redo or reset, so that it gets everything it needs to function correctly with the newer kernel? I'm not sure what command to use or what file(s) to edit in order to forcibly instruct it to re-download and install all possible missing packages, when the normal qubes-dom0-update insists there's no update available. Right now I have a half-broken system and am not sure how to proceed.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated..

Otto Kratik

Oct 2, 2018, 11:16:17 PM10/2/18
to qubes-users
Just to clarify, the original abort/glitch happened after all updates were successfully *downloaded*, but during the upgrade/install process itself.

At present when I try to do:

sudo dnf check-update

I get:

Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'qubes-dom0-cached', disabling.

I have already tried doing:

qubes-dom0-update --clean

and it has no effect on the issue.

I believe some packages are still "stuck" in the local qubes-dom0-cached repo, but I have no idea how go about fixing this issue and getting back on track.

Could someone please advise next steps to get this resolved?

Thanks..