Qubes 4, copy/paste not working between AppVM's

max.mi...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2018, 1:28:12 AM8/2/18
to qubes-users
Hi,

I have a Qubes 4 installation on my laptop, and copy/paste between appVMs is not working.

I usually(on other Qubes installations) get an infobox on copy/paste to the clipboard in upper right corner whenever I press the sequence (ctrl-c, ctrl-shift-c) and again in the destination vm (ctrl-shift-v, ctrl-v). But there is nothing and nothing gets copied.

I tried the instructions here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/copy-paste/ and removed the # on the 2 lines in /etc/qubes/guid.conf to enforce it's usage:

secure_copy_sequence = "Ctrl-Shift-c";
secure_pate_sequence = "Ctrl-Shift-v";

I also checked the /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.ClipboardPaste and ensured that it had the follwoing:

dom0 $anyvm ask
$anyvm $anyvm ask

Restarting the whole laptop, after changes did not help.

Am I missing something somewhere, from the switch from 3.2 to 4, or is my install broken?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Max

Unman

Aug 2, 2018, 5:12:54 AM8/2/18
to max.mi...@gmail.com, qubes-users
The process stays the same in 4, and works fine (at least for me). Some
questions:
Have you updated recently or has this never worked on this laptop?
What application are you using?
Do you get the notification on Ctrl+Shift+c ?
Have you confirmed that ctrl+c is copying?
What happens if you copy using the Menu item?
If you changed the policy to specifically allow between named qubes does
that make a difference?

I have seen issues sometimes in xterm, but never when using libreoffice
or gnome-terminal and copying using Menu.

awokd

Aug 2, 2018, 6:14:37 AM8/2/18
to Unman, max.mi...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Try running System Tools > Qube Manager. Not sure why but a couple of
times that's helped me.

max.mi...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2018, 8:34:42 AM8/2/18
to qubes-users
torsdag den 2. august 2018 kl. 05.12.54 UTC-4 skrev Unman:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 10:28:12PM -0700, Max wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Qubes 4 installation on my laptop, and copy/paste between appVMs is not working.
> >
> > I usually(on other Qubes installations) get an infobox on copy/paste to the clipboard in upper right corner whenever I press the sequence (ctrl-c, ctrl-shift-c) and again in the destination vm (ctrl-shift-v, ctrl-v). But there is nothing and nothing gets copied.
> >
> > I tried the instructions here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/copy-paste/ and removed the # on the 2 lines in /etc/qubes/guid.conf to enforce it's usage:
> >
> > secure_copy_sequence = "Ctrl-Shift-c";
> > secure_pate_sequence = "Ctrl-Shift-v";
> >
> > I also checked the /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.ClipboardPaste and ensured that it had the follwoing:
> >
> > dom0 $anyvm ask
> > $anyvm $anyvm ask
> >
> > Restarting the whole laptop, after changes did not help.
> >
> > Am I missing something somewhere, from the switch from 3.2 to 4, or is my install broken?
> >
> > Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Sincerely
> > Max
> >

> The process stays the same in 4, and works fine (at least for me). Some
> questions:
> Have you updated recently or has this never worked on this laptop?

Never worked on this laptop, afaik

> What application are you using?

It's everywhere. firefox, terminal, libreoffice, etc.

> Do you get the notification on Ctrl+Shift+c ?

No. nothing

> Have you confirmed that ctrl+c is copying?

It is. Can´t confirm that ctrl-shift-c is, though.

> What happens if you copy using the Menu item?

What is that?

> If you changed the policy to specifically allow between named qubes does
> that make a difference?

No, it still seems the same. Nothing happens. Maybe a daemon is not running in dom0, or something?

> I have seen issues sometimes in xterm, but never when using libreoffice
> or gnome-terminal and copying using Menu.

Thank you for your time. Someone mentioned a reinstall, but that seems a bit far to go.

Thank you for your time,
Sincerely
Max

max.mi...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2018, 8:37:00 AM8/2/18
to qubes-users
torsdag den 2. august 2018 kl. 06.14.37 UTC-4 skrev awokd:
Thank you, but that didn´t work.

Sincerely
Max

max.mi...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2018, 8:56:05 AM8/2/18
to qubes-users

I do remember installing the laptop and having minor issues back then with language during install: (https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3753)

Also I had some issues with purism, but maybe not directly related to this: https://forums.puri.sm/t/keyboard-layout-unable-to-recognize-pipe/2022/3

Is there any way to see what I should produce as output when pressing these 3 keys and compare it to the result on my laptop?

Sincerely
Max

John S.Recdep

Aug 3, 2018, 3:32:59 AM8/3/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 08/02/2018 02:56 AM,
max.militant-Re5J...@public.gmane.org wrote:
If you open the VM Manager and go to Qube-> Keyboard Layout what is it
set to ?

Sounds like you are aware cut/paste to terminals doesn't work with
keybinding, I have to use right-click IIRC

max.mi...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2018, 10:45:49 AM8/3/18
to qubes-users

It's default on my individual VM's (set to qubes default layout). My Qubes (Dom0) model is Generic 105-key (intl) PC on my Purism 13v2 laptop. The layout is Danish.

> Sounds like you are aware cut/paste to terminals doesn't work with
> keybinding, I have to use right-click IIRC

Yes, and middle mouse to paste, usually.

Thank you

John S.Recdep

Aug 3, 2018, 4:28:37 PM8/3/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 08/03/2018 04:45 AM,
max.militant-Re5J...@public.gmane.org wrote:
>> If you open the VM Manager and go to Qube-> Keyboard Layout what is it
>> set to ?
> It's default on my individual VM's (set to qubes default layout). My Qubes (Dom0) model is Generic 105-key (intl) PC on my Purism 13v2 laptop. The layout is Danish.

I suppose you've tried setting dom0 to default to troubleshoot ? And
sorry to ask but when was it last working, and did you change/install
something etc ?

max.mi...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2018, 3:34:29 PM8/4/18
to qubes-users

Actually you hit the spot. If I'm running danish keyboard (system tools - keyboard), the copying doesn't work. If I run system default in qubes and set the layout to danish on every VM, it works.

Thank you for showing me the forest, I apparently missed because of all the trees :)

Sincerely
Max

John S.Recdep

Aug 4, 2018, 5:16:36 PM8/4/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 08/04/2018 09:34 AM,
max.militant-Re5J...@public.gmane.org wrote:
> fredag den 3. august 2018 kl. 16.28.37 UTC-4 skrev John S.Recdep:
>>> It's default on my individual VM's (set to qubes default layout). My Qubes (Dom0) model is Generic 105-key (intl) PC on my Purism 13v2 laptop. The layout is Danish.
>>>

>> I suppose you've tried setting dom0 to default to troubleshoot ? And
>> sorry to ask but when was it last working, and did you change/install
>> something etc ?
>
> Actually you hit the spot. If I'm running danish keyboard (system tools - keyboard), the copying doesn't work. If I run system default in qubes and set the layout to danish on every VM, it works.
>
> Thank you for showing me the forest, I apparently missed because of all the trees :)
>
> Sincerely
> Max

happens to me all the time, I just need to write it out, and hear it
back from someone, sometimes :)