Can't install software in fedora-26 template: "Failed to synchronize cache..."

dataflow

Mar 8, 2018, 4:06:40 PM3/8/18
to qubes-users
Hi!
I have a freshly installed Qubes R4RC5 environment, but when I try to install software in my fedora-26 template, dnf fails with:

Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'qubes-vm-r4.0-current'

I checked the status of the updates proxy in sys-net with `systemctl status qubes-updates-proxy`. The proxy is running and restarting it doesn't have any effect.

Installing software from the fedora repos works fine, if I disable the `qubes-vm-updates-current` repo, I can use dnf as expected.

The only change that I've made to the initial installation is that I recovered one AppVM based on a fedora-26 template that has networking disabled.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could resolve this issue?

Best regards and thanks for your help

sevas

Mar 9, 2018, 2:53:41 AM3/9/18
to qubes-users
I deleted my original sys-net and sys-fw and I received similar errors. What I did to fix it was

dom0$ sudo nano /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes-update-policy

and fixed the command which was pointing to the wrong sys-net.

sevas

Mar 9, 2018, 2:55:05 AM3/9/18
to qubes-users

Similar errors being that debian would update but fedora gave me that same error.

Good luck.

djmisc...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2018, 3:36:31 AM3/9/18
to qubes-users
Thanks a lot, that pointed me in the right direction!
I set up updates via Whonix and for some reason `dnf update` does not like the `sys-whonix` VM. When I change the `target` in `qubes.UpdatesProxy` to `sys-net` I can update as expected.

My `qubes.UpdatesProxy` file looks like this, when I change the `target` in the first line from `sys-whonix` to `sys-net` everything works out. Is there something wrong with the configuration in this file? (I do have a NetVM `sys-whonix` that works and has `qubes-updates-proxy` running)

$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-whonix
$tag:whonix-updatevm $default allow,target=sys-whonix
$tag:whonix-updatevm $anyvm deny
## Note that policy parsing stops at the first match,
## so adding anything below "$anyvm $anyvm action" line will have no effect

## Please use a single # to start your custom comments

# Default rule for all TemplateVMs - direct the connection to sys-net
$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-net

$anyvm $anyvm deny

sevas

Mar 9, 2018, 3:25:25 PM3/9/18
to qubes-users
glad I could help! I just went through this last week.
Even though I changed the settings in qubes manager to
point to custom-sys-net, my RPC policy still said sys-net:

<
# Default rule for all TemplateVMs - direct the connection to sys-net
$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-net

/>

I deleted the original sys-net because it wasnt letting me
change the name of it.

berto0...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2018, 1:42:57 AM4/11/18
to qubes-users
I also had to change

$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-whonix

$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-net

to make the Qubes repo work in Fedora (Template and AppVMs). All other repos and the Qubes Repo in the Debian template worked as expected.

There is some kind of bug or misconfiguration in the default update proxy setup IMHO (tested on 4.0 final fresh install)

berto0...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2018, 11:09:32 AM4/11/18
to qubes-users

Just to avoid sticking this around, the better solution I finally found in another thread is:
Changing all repo URLs from http to https as in https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3527

cooloutac

Apr 11, 2018, 11:23:29 AM4/11/18
to qubes-users

or you could just edit the qubes-r4.repo or w/e its called in the template and change everything to https and then you can still use whonix.