Windows 7 virtual graphics card

Achim Patzner

Jun 2, 2016, 7:24:02 AM6/2/16
to qubes-users
Hi!

Is there a way to provide a virtual graphics card that will support
3840*2160 pixels? I'm having serious problem to see anything using a
Windows 7 HVM at 257 dpi...

Achim

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 3, 2016, 6:14:01 AM6/3/16
to Achim Patzner, qubes-users

Drew White

Jun 9, 2016, 2:46:03 AM6/9/16
to qubes-users
Either install the tools and go Seamless, OR alter the settings to have the text and all larger.
Use the Themes for Windows.
Then you won't have an issue seeing things.
Or else just use a lower resolution.

Drew White

Jun 9, 2016, 2:46:31 AM6/9/16
to qubes-users
Yo find out about virtual graphics cards, perform research into Qubes + VNC

Achim Patzner

Jun 9, 2016, 12:51:39 PM6/9/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Am 09.06.2016 um 08:46 schrieb Drew White:

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 21:24:02 UTC+10, Achim Patzner wrote:
Is there a way to provide a virtual graphics card that will support
3840*2160 pixels? I'm having serious problem to see anything using a
Windows 7 HVM at 257 dpi...

Either install the tools and go Seamless, OR alter the settings to have the text and all larger.

Great idea. Then you've got a stamp-sized window with very few but readable characters. That's making work much easier.

I'll rephrase my question: Does anyone have an idea how to get a Windows HVM to provide a window of more than 2560*1400 pixels, no matter which size the pixels are? (Obviously things are _much_worse for people using a 15" display at > 300 dpi).

Or else just use a lower resolution.

An even greater idea. That's ok if your competition is a zSeries mainframe. It sucks if your competition is Mint or Ubuntu.

Achim

J. Eppler

Jun 9, 2016, 3:09:23 PM6/9/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

is a resolution of 2560*1400 and 300 dpi supported by Windows 7?
As far as I know it is difficult to use with Windows 7.

Best regards
  J. Eppler

Achim Patzner

Jun 9, 2016, 3:40:49 PM6/9/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 09.06.2016 um 21:09 schrieb J. Eppler:
> Hello,
>
> is a resolution of 2560*1400 and 300 dpi supported by Windows 7?
> As far as I know it is difficult to use with Windows 7.

It is the maximum I'm getting out of Windows 7's standard VGA driver.
Which is giving me an extremely nice window equivalent to a 9 in monitor
on a Lenovo P50. Not quite what I would like...

Achim

J. Eppler

Jun 9, 2016, 3:54:37 PM6/9/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

the Windows 7 standard VGA driver allows you to use such high values, but this was not my question.
My question was if Windows 7 itself does support 4K displays by default. I don't think it is a nice experience
to use Windows less than 10 with an 4K display with only 15" screen size.

Best regards
  J. Eppler

Achim Patzner

Jun 9, 2016, 5:02:01 PM6/9/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 09.06.2016 um 21:54 schrieb J. Eppler:
> Hello,
>
> the Windows 7 standard VGA driver allows you to use such high values,
> but this was not my question.
> My question was if Windows 7 itself does support 4K displays by default.

Not while the default VGA driver is in use

> I don't think it is a nice experience to use Windows less than 10 with
> an 4K display with only 15" screen size.

Lenovo P70 and P50 can be ordered with Windows 7 Pro. Today. And it is
working well with either the nVidia or the i915 driver (or Optimus for
that matter). I guess it's the same with all the other x560 systems that
are offering HiDPI.

Achim