Q: Upgrading whonix-ws, auto-remove packages?

Ulrich Windl

Oct 5, 2021, 5:53:02 PM10/5/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Following the instructions, my upgrade ended with this message:
required:
acl anon-iceweasel-warning apt-file binaries-freedom bsdmainutils bsdtar
command-not-found cpp-8 curl-scripts dctrl-tools dkms firejail
firejail-profiles firetools fonts-droid-fallback fonts-noto-mono
gpl-sources-download grub2-common initramfs-tools initramfs-tools-core
klibc-utils libapt-pkg-perl libasan5 libavdevice58 libavfilter7
libbasicusageenvironment1 libbind9-161 libboost-iostreams1.67.0
libboost-system1.67.0 libbotan-2-9 libc-ares2 libcdio-cdda2
libcdio-paranoia2 libcdio18 libcdio19 libcodec2-0.8.1 libcroco3
libcrypto++6
libcrystalhd3 libcupsfilters1 libcupsimage2 libcwidget3v5 libdc1394-22
libdns1104 libdns1110 libdouble-conversion1 libdvdread4 libebml4v5
libegl1-mesa libenchant1c2a libev4 libevent-2.1-6 libexo-1-0
libexo-helpers
libexporter-tiny-perl libfluidsynth1 libgroupsock8 libgs9 libgs9-common
libgssdp-1.0-3 libgupnp-1.0-4 libhavege1 libicu63 libijs-0.35
libilmbase23
libirs161 libisc1100 libisc1105 libisccc161 libisccfg163 libisl19
libjsoncpp1 libkf5sonnet5-data libkf5sonnetcore5 libkf5sonnetui5 libklibc
liblist-moreutils-perl liblist-moreutils-xs-perl liblivemedia64 libllvm7
liblwres161 libmatroska6v5 libmicrodns0 libmpdec2 libmpx2 libmysofa0
libnfs12 libopenexr23 libperl5.28 libpgm-5.2-0 libpipewire-0.2-1
libplacebo7
libpocketsphinx3 libpoppler82 libpotrace0 libprotobuf-lite17 libpython2.7
libpython3.7 libpython3.7-minimal libpython3.7-stdlib libreadline7
libregexp-assemble-perl librubberband2 libsphinxbase3 libsqlcipher0
libtoxcore2 libusageenvironment3 libvidstab1.1 libvpx5 libx264-155
libx265-165 libxcb-util0 libxdot4 linux-base onionshare perl-modules-5.28
python-apt-common python-pkg-resources python3-apt python3-asn1crypto
python3-flask python3-flask-httpauth python3-gevent python3-greenlet
python3-guimessages python3-itsdangerous python3-jinja2
python3-markupsafe
python3-psutil python3-pycryptodome python3-simplegeneric
python3-werkzeug
python3-zope.event python3.7-minimal qtox
qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root
qubes-core-agent-thunar qubes-input-proxy-sender qubes-kernel-vm-support
qubes-usb-proxy rsyslog scurl telnet tor-ctrl usb.ids usbutils vim-common
vim-tiny virt-what
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
+ true 'INFO: Setting a list of traditional dummy packages to automatically
installed so these can be removed the next time the user runs apt
autoremove.'
+ apt-mark auto e2fslibs gnupg2 libcomerr2 mime-support
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libiptc0 cryptsetup-run
+ true 'INFO: Running sanity test...'
+ dpkg-noninteractive --audit
+ true 'INFO: Running sanity test...'
+ dpkg-noninteractive --configure -a
+ true 'INFO: Restart whonix-legacy service...'
+ service whonix-legacy restart
+ true 'INFO: Running sanity test...'
+ dpkg-noninteractive --audit
+ true 'INFO: Running sanity test...'
+ dpkg-noninteractive --configure -a
+ true 'INFO: OK. (release-upgrade version: 1.4) Release upgrade success.'
user@host:~$

I'm wondering whether those qubes packages may actually be removed.
I'm afraid to break my system when doing so.

Regards,
Ulrich

TheGardner

Oct 6, 2021, 6:58:49 AM10/6/21
to qubes-users
always use  'sudo apt autoremove' afterwards and never run into problems. So you probably can follow, what the upgrade function told you.

Cheers :)

Bernhard

Oct 6, 2021, 7:30:25 AM10/6/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> always use 'sudo apt autoremove' afterwards and never run into problems.
> So you probably can follow, what the upgrade function told you.
>

> Cheers :)
>
> Ulrich Windl schrieb am Dienstag, 5. Oktober 2021 um 23:53:02 UTC+2:

> Following the instructions, my upgrade ended with this message:
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:

[50 lines removed]

> acl anon-iceweasel-warning apt-file binaries-freedom bsdmainutils
> bsdtar
> I'm wondering whether those qubes packages may actually be removed.
> I'm afraid to break my system when doing so.

I do not share TheGardner's opinion. removing libraries like libcrypto
or removing python or qubes-core-agent looks *very* suspicious to me.
I'd think apt got lost. Was there some version change in the repos ??
(like underlying debian-10 to 11 that was messed up?)

Franz

Oct 6, 2021, 5:57:36 PM10/6/21
to Bernhard, qubes-users
try to clone the template and update the template, to see if it works with no risk