I broke Qubes with template reinstall...

sevas

Mar 5, 2018, 11:29:30 PM3/5/18
to qubes-users
dom0$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=reinstall qubes-template-debian-9

Now my dom0 menu is gone. No more terminal. No more Qubes Manager. No more... anything...

I gave up immediately and thought I would reinstall Qubes.

Well, that was a fail too. Qubes installer freezes when I click Continue on the first page.

Any suggestions??

Message has been deleted

sevas

Mar 6, 2018, 12:16:26 AM3/6/18
to qubes-users
A little more info...

Qubes 4.0 rc4.

Starting Debian-9 returns error that /var/lib/qubes/something doesnt exist.

Is there a keyboard command for opening the dom0$terminal?

This is crazy. Im afraid to work on it now.

dom0$ for VM in `qvm-ls --raw-list`; do qvm-prefs -s $VM kernel 4.14.13-3; done
dom0$ for VM in `qvm-ls --raw-list`; do qvm-prefs -s $VM kernel default; done
## kernel not installed
## qubesadmin.exc.QubesPropertyValueError: Kernel 'default' not installed
dom0$ qubes-dom0-update
## No updates available.
sys-net$ ping google.com
## good
dom0$ qubes-dom0-update kernel
## Complete!
dom0$ restart
dom0$ for VM in `qvm-ls --raw-list`; do qvm-prefs -s $VM kernel 4.14.13-3; done
## qvm-prefs: error: no such property: 'kernel'
dom0$ qubes-dom0-update kernel-qubes-vm
## Complete!
dom0$ restart

sevas

Mar 6, 2018, 12:41:07 AM3/6/18
to qubes-users
dom0$ qubes-dom0-update --clean #Clean yum repos...
dom0$ qubes-dom0-update qubes-core-dom0*
## find: '/var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/var/cache/yum': No such file/directory
## Installing *linux-debug *vaio-fixes(1/2)
dom0$ qubes-dom0-update --gui
## xterm: cannot load font '-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--##-##------
dom0$ qubes-dom0-update --action=downgrade
## yum version in sys-firewall does not support --downloadonly option
## Error: downgrade not supported
dom0$ qubes-dom0-update --action=install
## find: '/var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/var/cache/yum': No such file/directory
dom0$ qubes-dom0-update --action=upgrade
## No upgrade available

wait for it....

DOOM!!!!
dom0$ qubes-dom0-update qubes*
##

Tim W

Mar 6, 2018, 12:56:42 AM3/6/18
to qubes-users

As far as I know there is nothimg you could do inside qubes such as you have described that cwould also effect reinstalling qubes fresh. After all you are booting from Usb or dvd media. My guess is maybe you changed something in system firmware/BIOS or maybe a step you had to do the first install but maybe forgot this time?

Just trying to throw ideas out there as nothing on the hd should effect a install from external boot source.

Are you usimg the same install media and version i.e. you did not download a fresh QUBES OS ISO etc where possible updated changes could have been made etc.. vs your previous install.

When I do something that seems to screw up many subsys5ems etc I like you did prefer to just do a reinstall and restore data. But prior to that I still try to fix the issue first to learn what I broke and how. That is if time allows of course. Then I wipe and install to be sure there is nothing left over from the issue that could cause phant9m issues later. Mayne not necessary but a habit I can not shake after supporting numerous Microsoft shops for over 25 yrs.

sevas

Mar 6, 2018, 1:53:37 AM3/6/18
to qubes-users
Reference:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/5eJF__5UBAc

Apparently many people suffer from this problem.
After reinstalling the a few dire programs, everything seems to be working.
Only problem is that the dom0 applications menu is gone.
Possible solution here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/lsED7b1qVjw

Im not messing with it.
I reinstalled.

Qubes Installation media does not (and did not previously) like partitions with things on them. A quik trip over to the bash prompt and a little fdisk and mkfs.ext4 and were right as rain!

reinstalling templates seem very unstable... Im not doing that .ever. again.

Tim W

Mar 7, 2018, 7:54:56 AM3/7/18
to qubes-users

Yes I have always wiped all partitions and do a secure overwrite of all space. Sorry forgot about it when I mentioned doing a full reinstall. I also only bkup data not the actual templates for the same issues and possible problems.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

hyperfekt

Mar 7, 2018, 2:02:21 PM3/7/18
to qubes-users
I just had the same problem, and wrote down the fix before I saw your post here.
Take a look: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/iHcWKwGQd-o