Arch-template and Firefox (49.0.2)

Achim Patzner

Nov 3, 2016, 3:17:23 PM11/3/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I just tried moving my main working environments from the Fedora
template to Arch. All in all a much better user experience for nearly
everything besides one thing: Firefox tabs are constantly crashing. If
I'm opening the same URLs on a native Arch installation or other
templates the contents is displayed without any problems. Am I the only
one with that problem?

And no, no plugins installed at all.

Besides that: I could live without ever getiing a Ubuntu (or lookalike)
template but it might be time to adopt the Arch template (even if that
means the debian template was dropped completely). (Marek: What could we
offer to convince a core developer that he always wanted to do this?)

Achim

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 10, 2016, 8:21:45 AM11/10/16
to Achim Patzner, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 12, 2016, 11:26:12 PM11/12/16
to Achim Patzner, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Achim Patzner

Nov 13, 2016, 7:00:23 AM11/13/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> qubes-template-archlinux package is available qubes-templates-community repository!

Make a wish 8-). But watch the movie “Wishmaster” first to see why getting more Genies is not a good idea.

> I haven't tested it in any way. It include only what builder-archlinux
> scripts does

> - test it out

Without testing it (I do not have real bandwidth in the middle of nowhere right now): Did you modify /etc/fstab to mount a /dev/shm larger than 256MB?

> - automate powerpill setup (probably as part of core-agent-linux
> repository - some post-installation script or such)

As much as I am in favor of it, everybody with a good grasp on security should think what was the least of three evils: Adding another repository (for powerpill as package), using the AUR to install powerpill or giving his template access to the network for updating (while updating). I’m still not clear about it myself (although using powerpill at home with a 400 MBit line is… fascinating).

> - adjust https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/archlinux/
> - write some separate announcement(?)

Just change the subject on this message 8-)

Achim

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 19, 2016, 2:22:59 PM12/19/16
to Achim Patzner, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Nick Darren

Dec 19, 2016, 5:23:18 PM12/19/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On November 13, 2016 12:26:06 PM GMT+08:00, "Marek Marczykowski-Górecki" <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

>Ok, I've changed pacman mirror (echo PACMAN_MIRROR=mirrors.kernel.org
>>>
>builder.conf) and it worked at third try. This means:
>
>qubes-template-archlinux package is available qubes-templates-community
>repository!
>
>I haven't tested it in any way. It include only what builder-archlinux
>scripts does - especially powerpill (or some other mean to use updates
>proxy) still needs to be configured manually:
>https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/archlinux/#package-manager-proxy-setup-section
>
>Further work include:
> - test it out
> - automate powerpill setup (probably as part of core-agent-linux
> repository - some post-installation script or such)
> - adjust https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/archlinux/
> - write some separate announcement(?)

I'm prefer using pacaur over powerpill. I don't have any issues on using it inside archlinux on qubes. It's easy to manage the cache files ~/.cache/pacaur/* too.

Nick Darren

Dec 19, 2016, 5:40:13 PM12/19/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I don't have any issues using it inside archlinux on qubes. It's easy to manage the cache files on
~/.cache/pacaur/*. It's the most popular AUR package manager and widely used.