nm-applet disappeared

ad51...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2016, 9:13:46 AM6/1/16
to qubes-users
Hi, for some reason my nm-applet has disappeared from my system. I tried searching around for the cause of this, and the only causes I could find for Qubes 3 were deletion of the System Tray widget or related to changes in the NetVM template. I'm currently running the default configuration (aside from a few random applications installed in the fedora-23 template) and my System Tray is present. I have tried restarting the nm-applet, which generates a passed through notification that I'm connected to the network but does not display the applet. I'm not sure how long ago it stopped displaying either, I only noticed it because I wanted to change my network configuration and couldn't see the applet. Is there anything else I should try?

Andrew David Wong

Jun 1, 2016, 11:36:59 AM6/1/16
to ad51...@gmail.com, qubes-users

BM-2cTjsegDfZQNGQW...@bitmessage.ch

Jun 1, 2016, 12:25:38 PM6/1/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 08:36:51 -0700
Andrew David Wong <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:

> On 2016-06-01 06:13, ad51...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi, for some reason my nm-applet has disappeared from my system. I
> > tried searching around for the cause of this, and the only causes
> > I could find for Qubes 3 were deletion of the System Tray widget or
> > related to changes in the NetVM template. I'm currently running the
> > default configuration (aside from a few random applications
> > installed in the fedora-23 template) and my System Tray is
> > present. I have tried restarting the nm-applet, which generates a
> > passed through notification that I'm connected to the network but
> > does not display the applet. I'm not sure how long ago it stopped
> > displaying either, I only noticed it because I wanted to change my
> > network configuration and couldn't see the applet. Is there
> > anything else I should try?
> >

> Have you already tried restarting the NetVM itself (or the
> whole system)?
>
> - --

By disappeared from the sytsem, I assum you mean you can't see it's
icon, rather than it being not installed.

Are you running xfce? This happens in fedora xfce sometimes and can be
a bit frustrating. Try resizing the icon and menu bar several times.

ad51...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2016, 5:03:43 AM6/4/16
to qubes-users, BM-2cTjsegDfZQNGQW...@bitmessage.ch
Andrew David Wong <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:
> > Have you already tried restarting the NetVM itself (or the
> > whole system)?

Yes, it didn't seem to help.

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 00:25:38 UTC+8, BM-2cTjsegDfZQNGQW...@bitmessage.ch wrote:

> By disappeared from the sytsem, I assum you mean you can't see it's
> icon, rather than it being not installed.

Yes, that's correct. I even get the pop up notifications on the top right of the screen from the service, just no icon in the taskbar (and no way to open the applet to configure networking).

> Are you running xfce? This happens in fedora xfce sometimes and can be
> a bit frustrating. Try resizing the icon and menu bar several times.

I'm currently running KDE, but I had a go at resizing the menu bar anyway - no luck.

ad51...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2016, 9:02:52 AM6/4/16
to qubes-users, BM-2cTjsegDfZQNGQW...@bitmessage.ch, ad51...@gmail.com
OK, now I'm really confused - I somehow messed up the positioning of my notification applet on the panel, winding up with 2 copies on my main panel and 1 on my second panel (second monitor). Trying to fix this by deleting the extra notifications applet on my second monitor's panel somehow created a second system tray, this one containing the NetworkManager applet passed through from NetVM. No idea what happened there, or why it's still only showing in the system tray that appeared out of nowhere on my second monitor, but at least I've got it somewhere now.

Andrew David Wong

Jun 4, 2016, 7:49:33 PM6/4/16
to ad51...@gmail.com, qubes-users, BM-2cTjsegDfZQNGQW...@bitmessage.ch

Holger Levsen

Jun 5, 2016, 4:56:24 AM6/5/16
to Andrew David Wong, ad51...@gmail.com, qubes-users, BM-2cTjsegDfZQNGQW...@bitmessage.ch
On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 04:49:24PM -0700, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> It sounds like this might be a KDE issue. I've noticed some buggy
> behavior over the years from KDE also. You might try also searching
> their bug tracker, mailing list, forums, etc. and asking there.

I've seen it with awesome on Debian too, and probably Gnome as well.
Actually, I'm not seeing my nm-applet right now (on Debian jessie) and I
can remember occasionally having this issue since many *years*.

The good thing is, network-manager continues to work if the applet is
gone and nowadays it's usually even reliable to get it back by killing the
applet and starting it again.

(as I just did… startet nm-applet again and got the icon back.)

so yeah, this is a long standing bug (or maybe several…) with nm-applet…

--
cheers,
Holger

Andrew David Wong

Jun 5, 2016, 4:59:18 AM6/5/16
to Holger Levsen, ad51...@gmail.com, qubes-users, BM-2cTjsegDfZQNGQW...@bitmessage.ch

raah...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2016, 8:39:32 PM6/9/16
to qubes-users, hol...@layer-acht.org, ad51...@gmail.com, BM-2cTjsegDfZQNGQW...@bitmessage.ch
I don't know if this is related to your issue, but I have gotten two network manager icons in the panel when trying to create a second usbvm. Not sure what exactly happened but it was due to that usbvm i was trying to create and add a pci controller to. Even though it was not the ethernet controller, i was sure i was adding the right usb controller, it created two network managers on boot and I coudln't get rid of them. So i ended up just deleting that usbvm and the sys-net as well to be sure and recreating it.

I ran into other errors like xenlight error as well. I've learned form the mailing list this is most likely due to a security issue and limitation of my hardware to prevent me from passing around the controller to diff vms. I guess there was also some bug that conflicted with the network controller.

So maybe this is possibly related to your issue as well? If not i apologize for being way off...