How to copy a win7 vm over network into qubes?

Ronald Duncan

Dec 7, 2016, 11:21:19 AM12/7/16
to qubes-users
It looks like qubes only supports win7 vm's. I have an old one that I ran under kvm as a raw disk image.

Which looking at https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hvm/ should work.

Normally I would just dd the image over an ssh pipe, and then reconfigure the xml etc. I think I still have it as a raw partition on disk and as a file where I have copied it to run on a different machine, so it may just be a file copy.

My assumption is that I ssh it into one of the VM's and then copy it to a location under dom0. (and that this is the correct way).

The other would be boot up in ubuntu, and then copy the image where ever it should go.

Where should I put the image file?

And what is the best way of then making it into a template?

Thanks

Ronald Duncan

Dec 7, 2016, 1:33:13 PM12/7/16
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 16:21:19 UTC, Ronald Duncan wrote:

> Where should I put the image file?

/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/win7-x64-template
use
qvm-create --hvm-template win7-x64-template -l green

to create the template subdirectory

I just sshed the file in using my other ubuntu installation, and then fixed up the permissions.

The renamed the image to root.img

It started the boot process, and is currently on the Starting Windows screen, been stuck like that for a while. Going to leave it for a few hours to see what happens since it is using a reasonable amount of cpu and the amount is varying :)

Ronald Duncan

Dec 7, 2016, 1:41:03 PM12/7/16
to qubes-users

I just copied over a kvm image to root.img.

The creation was a 20gb image and my image was 80gb, so the root-cow and volatile are still down at the lower size of 20gb.

Is this ok or should I have created the vm with a larger image size?

Looks like I may have messed up https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/resize-root-disk-image/??

Ronald Duncan

Dec 7, 2016, 2:44:17 PM12/7/16
to qubes-users
root.img >> becomes root-cow.img etc and the process was fine.

Was difficult to boot the windows image finally came up.

Then difficult to send ctl + alt + del (looks like this is broke in qubes)
Sticky keys worked.

Trying to get into safemode command prompt to turn off password.