how to print on a network printer out of a standalone windows hvm?

krei...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2017, 9:36:32 AM1/11/17
to qubes-users
In the end I managed to install windows (thx to all people posting in this mailing list, it helped a lot) but one problem is persistent:
I can't find my network printer from windows and therefore I can't print directly.
I tried to copy a pdf made by free-pdf to my printer-vm, it does'nt work. I couldn't find a way to copy a file from the windows hvm to my printer appvm.
On the other hand there is no problem copying the clipboard to other vms...

My question is:
how can I manage to print directly on my network printer?
or:
how to copy files (without using a usb hdd or something like this)from my windows hvm to my printer appvm?

thnx a lot in advance

Ángel

Jan 11, 2017, 6:01:22 PM1/11/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
krei...@gmail.com wrote:
> My question is:
> how can I manage to print directly on my network printer?
> or:
> how to copy files (without using a usb hdd or something like this)from my windows hvm to my printer appvm?

You could connect the Windows VM to a printer-vm per
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/firewall/#enabling-networking-between-two-qubes

At that point you could:
a) Make Windows print to the cups service in the printer-vm
or
b) Copy the files to the printer-vm (eg. with samba)

Connecting directly to the real network printer may be from simple (eg.
just providing an IP address, because it's just autodiscovery that
fails) to quite complicated.

Arnulf Maria Bultmann

Jan 14, 2017, 12:05:55 PM1/14/17
to qubes-users, qu...@16bits.net
thanks for your advice. It works now by using windows directly ... ;)