Windows 10 Os in Qubes 4.0

Black Beard

Apr 23, 2018, 4:38:24 PM4/23/18
to qubes-users

Hey community,

tommorow i want finished my Qubes installation on my Notebook.
Since I need some programs that only runs on Windows, I now ask myself the question, how can I install Windows on Qubes?

Do I risk my privacy with the additional windows installation?

I thought about Virtualbox, but that's also a virtual machine.

What about Linux Wine?

Of course, I'm looking forward to your help again.

regards

Ivan Mitev

Apr 24, 2018, 1:01:50 AM4/24/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 04/23/2018 11:38 PM, Black Beard wrote:

> Hey community,
>
> tommorow i want finished my Qubes installation on my Notebook.
> Since I need some programs that only runs on Windows, I now ask myself the question, how can I install Windows on Qubes?

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-vm/

I'd suggest installing Windows 7 over Windows 10 if you don't have
specific requirements: win7 uses lower resources, is more tested by
other Qubes users, and you can install Qubes Windows Tools (although
it's a bit convoluted and there are known issues on 4.0 - see the doc).

> Do I risk my privacy with the additional windows installation?

That depends on what you do with your windows VM :)

For instance my windows VM doesn't have internet access, I only allow
manually the windows update sites when I need to update something so I
should be OK. I always consider it "untrusted" anyway.

> I thought about Virtualbox, but that's also a virtual machine.

I don't think you can run Virtualbox in Qubes anyway (nested
virtualization), and if you do it'll be inefficient.

> What about Linux Wine?

I used it a long time ago before using Qubes, it was a hit or miss
depending on the program you'd run. You'll probably have issues with
graphics if your program uses openGL (qubes doesn't support it). If you
need a windows VM only to run one or two windows apps, then yes, you
should try to install wine first and test if it works - if it does it'll
be much more resource efficient than using a full-blown VM.

hope this helps !
ivan

[799]

Apr 25, 2018, 6:54:26 PM4/25/18
to qubes-users
Hello Black Beard,

On 04/23 01:38, Black Beard wrote:
> tommorow i want finished my Qubes installation on my Notebook.

I am running Qubes since ~1,5y and I must say, it is never really finished, as there is so much you can optimize and fine tune ;-)

> Since I need some programs that only runs on Windows,

As I am running Qubes as my primary OS working in a very windows OS focussed world (IT Solution Provider) I need also windows to run ERP-system and to connect to microsoft exchange.

> I now ask myself the question, how can I install Windows on Qubes?

It's all in the Qubes Docs:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-vm/#qubes-40---windows-vm-installation
Under Qubes 4 you need to download the Qubes Tools manually and then install them as they're not in the package repositories.

> Do I risk my privacy with the additional windows installation?

Depends on what you are doing, you can always outsource all tasks which you can run under Linux in other AppVms

> I thought about Virtualbox, but that's also a virtual machine.

no.

> What about Linux Wine?

I am runnung a Windows 7 HVM, which is working great and also with enough performance.
What is missing: Audio Support

Additionally I am running Crossover Linux from Codeweavers as it is simpler to use than Wine and because I like their Support Team.
https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux
I am running Office 2016 without the Windows overhead via Crossover for Linux in a Debian-9 AppVM.

Regarding connection to our corporate Exchange I am using a fedora-26 bases AppVM (my-mail) which connect to Exchange via DavMail.
In this AppVM I am running Offlineimap + Neomutt and Khal + Khard for plain text productivity.
I also keep a browser windows with OWA (Outlook Web Access) open.
The my-mail AppVM is restricted by firewall rules so that it can only connect to our Exchange server.
I can open links through a disposable VM or copy & paste links to another AppVM

Additionaly I am using another fedora-26 my-work AppVM which has Cisco Anyconnect and VMware Horizon View installed if I need to run special tasks.

[799]

john

Apr 28, 2018, 1:37:26 PM4/28/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
This probably doesn't work, or has some major issue, but why not create
a HVM with some distro that doesn't support VirtualBox, and install
VB on it ..... and Win10 on the VB :)

and then in the win10 VB installed win7 <- that part just a joke :)

Black Beard

May 26, 2018, 11:08:09 AM5/26/18
to qubes-users
Hey Ivan,

thx for your feedback.

I renembered that you recommend a outher tool like Wine. You wrote before, that you are happy with it and that the support is very nice and helpful.

I cant find the link or i must look better. :)

Can you write me the name of the tool again?

regards and thx in advance

Black Beard

May 26, 2018, 11:09:22 AM5/26/18
to qubes-users
Hey guys,

i must look better and i found the name of the tool.

regards :)