Can't get WiFi driver to work in Debian 8

neilh...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2016, 10:47:08 PM9/22/16
to qubes-users
I am on Qubes 3.2 rc2.

I have an Intel 3165 WiFi driver.

It simply does not work.

It works fine in Fedora, but not Debian.

According to this:

There is something where Debian no longer recognises WiFi in Qubes Net VMs..?

Is this true..?

If so, it says to downgrade to 3.18 kernel.

So I follow these instructions:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/

But then I try going to dom0, and running:

"sudo qubes-dom0-update grub2-xen"

and it returns:

"Cannot download rpm/grub2-xen-2.02beta2-3.fc23.x86_64.rpm: All mirrors were tried"

So I just don't get it.

Do I need to downgrade the kernel or not..? Does anyone have WiFi drivers working in a Debian8 Net VM..??

And if I do, why is this failing in dom0..?

Thanks

neilh...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2016, 11:01:38 PM9/22/16
to qubes-users, neilh...@gmail.com
OK. I solved it. The solution is to get the jessie-backports .deb file and install it in the "debian-8" template VM:

Go here

https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/firmware-iwlwifi

Then here

https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/all/firmware-iwlwifi/download

Copy the file to debian-8

run

dpkg -i firmware-iwlwifi_20160110-1-bpo8+1_all.deb

Solved

neilh...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2016, 11:02:05 PM9/22/16
to qubes-users, neilh...@gmail.com
Obviously restart the Template VM and Net VM afterwards.

All solved.