Kaspersky OS

02845'2894'502'45028'45'280

Nov 19, 2016, 4:55:21 PM11/19/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

is the new Kaspersky OS programmed with integral securiy able to be a solid foundation of some stateless laptop?

Or is it using just the standard chipsets the the known hardware backdoors?

Kind Regards

Sec Tester

Nov 19, 2016, 11:26:09 PM11/19/16
to qubes-users, kerste...@gmail.com
Wow just been reading about Kaspersky OS.

Dam maybe this could be a new super hardened VM for Qubes..?

Apparently not even based on Linux tho, built from the ground up, 14 year project.

Fabian Wloch

Nov 19, 2016, 11:44:48 PM11/19/16
to Sec Tester, qubes-users, kerste...@gmail.com
I don't like this project at all to be honest.
First thing is that it's closed source, which means he can prove exactly
*nothing* to me in terms of security. As long as I can't check, I don't
believe. Sorry.
Second: He writes it's hacking proof, which is impossible to proof. Yes,
maybe it's hard to hack, but here again: We can't know. Nobody besides
Kaspersky can. And as long as this is the case, I won't think better of it
than I do from Cisco and others.
Kaspersky Software had some problems with security when itself should make
your systems more secure, which doesn't make it any better.

Time will proof. Maybe it's an alternative OS for routers, switches and IoT
stuff, but in my opinion its not better than everything else out there, if
its not even worse.

I'd prefer Subgraph (Already was a topic in this mailing list) or OpenBSD
as base / template.

And: Probably nothing will run on that Kaspersky OS, because its coded from
scratch. No browser, no email client etc. You would need to port all this
software to KasperskyOS, or develop it from scratch aswell, and I think is
no practical approach, for a lot of different reasons.

-Fabian

Sec Tester

Nov 20, 2016, 5:09:08 AM11/20/16
to qubes-users, sectest...@gmail.com, kerste...@gmail.com, fabia...@posteo.de
The article i read failed to mention it was close source...

Totally agree if thats the case.

Achim Patzner

Nov 20, 2016, 5:12:20 AM11/20/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 20.11.2016 um 05:26 schrieb Sec Tester:

> Dam maybe this could be a new super hardened VM for Qubes..?

All we get is a heap of paper. And a switch I could not even pre-order
yet. But I've got a few Qubes systems happily running.

It might be an ideal solution for the outward-facing VMs (networking,
firewall) as it is in fact a minimalistic OS for this kind of devices
(or why would they have put it on a router first?). But I could just as
well imagine them running on QNX which is obviously safe enouth to
protect Cisco hardware (think IOS XR) (keep in mind that the Cisco
vulnerabilities up to now are results from sloppily written non-core
functionality modules). I even wondered briefly if it was possible to
use a Mikrotik router VM on Qubes. Alas, someone has to provide it; I'm
not going to do that myself.

Achim

Achim Patzner

Nov 20, 2016, 5:16:56 AM11/20/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 20.11.2016 um 05:44 schrieb Fabian Wloch:
> And: Probably nothing will run on that Kaspersky OS, because its coded
> from scratch. No browser, no email client etc.

What would the be needed for? It's obviously not the intended use
anyway. As soon as there is a user in front of a terminal,
"hack-proofing" the system isn't possible as it is a known fact that the
stated goal of nature is creating dumber and dumber users. Technology
will never catch up.

Achim

Fabian Wloch

Nov 20, 2016, 7:34:22 AM11/20/16
to Sec Tester, qubes-users, kerste...@gmail.com
I'm not sure if it is, or if it is open source.
But he didn't mentioned it at all in his blog post (
https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2016/11/15/finally-our-own-os-oh-yes/)

If I would make such an operating system, I would at least mention that it
will be open source, if it would be. He didn't, and Kaspersky isn't fame
for doing Free Software/publishing source code, so I guess its closed source.

But it could be open source. I just don't believe so.