Windows 7 problems (R3.2)

hugon...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2017, 1:38:04 PM8/10/17
to qubes-users
Hey,

Installed everything, had to use this method https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2488, and now it "works".

If I start the VM in Seemless GUI, it goes on but doesn't open any application (with and without debug mode on).
If I start the VM without Seemless GUI, it only goes on with debug mode on, otherwise it'll follow the above pattern.

Also, 2nd problem, I've installed MS Office, I've copied the shortcuts to the "All Programs" folder and I'm unable to find them in the "Applications" tab in the VM config. Is there anything I can do? Also, other installed programmes don't appear on the list, it's not just Office.

Thanks for your time!

Hugo

PhR

Aug 11, 2017, 3:33:38 PM8/11/17
to hugon...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Hello,

I also had some trouble getting Windows 7 to run in seamless mode but
learned a lot during installations :-)

On 08/10/17 19:38, hugon...@gmail.com wrote:
> If I start the VM in Seemless GUI, it goes on but doesn't open any application (with and without debug mode on).
> If I start the VM without Seemless GUI, it only goes on with debug mode on, otherwise it'll follow the above pattern.

In total I ended up installing windows roughly 20 times, tweaking lots
of settings - but if know how it can be done, you get rewarded with a
working windows installation which is running fine in seamless mode.

I can walk you through the process, you can send me a private email so
that we can do instead of bothering people on the list ;-)

As suggested the first thing you need to do is creating a new windows 7
HVM and install windows (all in debug mode), don't make any windows
updates and don't install additional applications.
If the you have the windows HVM restarted several times and it is
running smoothly, shutdown and make a backup so that we can use this HVM
in case we mess something up.

Afterwards we try to get things up & running.

> Also, 2nd problem, I've installed MS Office, I've copied the shortcuts to the "All Programs" folder and I'm unable to find them in the "Applications" tab in the VM config. Is there anything I can do? Also, other installed programmes don't appear on the list, it's not just Office.

Some application install their shortcuts under c:\users\<USERNAME>...
and other under c:\users\all users or something similar - I don't have
my windows VM running to look.
Qubes will only grab the programs from one location, I think
c:\users\<USERNAME>..Startmenu
You need to copy the shortcuts there and then they will be available in
Qubes :-)

I can look up the exact folders, when I start my old Qubes Laptop,
currently I am running 4rc1 without a windows HVM.

- PhR

lok...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2017, 3:27:36 AM8/13/17
to qubes-users, hugon...@gmail.com
On Saturday, 12 August 2017 03:33:38 UTC+8, PR wrote:

> In total I ended up installing windows roughly 20 times, tweaking lots
> of settings - but if know how it can be done, you get rewarded with a
> working windows installation which is running fine in seamless mode.
>
> I can walk you through the process, you can send me a private email so
> that we can do instead of bothering people on the list ;-)

I did the same thing, having to reinstall Windows countless times. Unfortunately, it has now been a hile and I probably forgot a lot of the details, so if I had to do it again, it's likely I have to go through that dance all over again.

Thus, if you help OP out, perhaps one of you could take a notes while doing so, so that others can benefit from a proper guide?

Regards,
Elias

Drew White

Aug 17, 2017, 9:24:18 PM8/17/17
On Friday, 11 August 2017 03:38:04 UTC+10, hugon...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Installed everything, had to use this method https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2488, and now it "works".
>
> If I start the VM in Seemless GUI, it goes on but doesn't open any application (with and without debug mode on).

This happens with Windows HVM if you install a version of the tools with the bug, version pre 3 or 3.0.2 or later (unless resolved)
If you are running multiple monitors this will also occurr.

> If I start the VM without Seemless GUI, it only goes on with debug mode on, otherwise it'll follow the above pattern.

If this happens then that means you have not got it turned off in the TEMPLATE?
Run the qvm-prefs on the template and the appvm.

If seamless is on in the template, then the appvm will have seamless whether or not you want it on or off.

> Also, 2nd problem, I've installed MS Office, I've copied the shortcuts to the "All Programs" folder and I'm unable to find them in the "Applications" tab in the VM config. Is there anything I can do? Also, other installed programmes don't appear on the list, it's not just Office.

If it isn't in the template, then you need to run the "qvm-sync-appmenus" on the template.
If it is not a template then it will not run.

Otherwise, you can get the menu editor and add in your own shortcuts, instead of using their method that does not work correctly for Windows. (Nothing ever works right for Windows)

Drew White

Aug 17, 2017, 9:35:30 PM8/17/17
to qubes-users, hugon...@gmail.com
On Friday, 11 August 2017 03:38:04 UTC+10, hugon...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Installed everything, had to use this method https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2488, and now it "works".

The issues people have are not existant in that github post.

All you have to do is create a template and load the iso/dvd in and perform the install.

During the install, make sure to say LET ME CHOOSE LATER when it asks you about windows updates otherwise you will encounter the memory leak in wusa.

If you are running Qubes 3.2, not an RC, then it will run seamless and near perfect for Windows 7.

I run Windows 1 through Windows 8 perfectly. Windows 7 is the only one that I run Seamless though, because the tools are not designed for any other version (at this time)

Hugo Costa

Aug 20, 2017, 10:17:25 AM8/20/17
to qubes-users
Thank you for your answers.

I've tried using an earlier version of the Windows tools (3.2.1-3) and the problem persists. I'll have to try it in a new vm with no updates (this one was fully updated, already came with SP1 out-of-the-ISO). My VM isn't a template, I was a bit lazy.

I've also noticed a new error. Qubes is unable to start the qrexec-daemon.

Thanks!

Hugo

Hugo Costa

Drew White

Aug 22, 2017, 1:54:44 AM8/22/17
to qubes-users
On Monday, 21 August 2017 00:17:25 UTC+10, Hugo Costa wrote:
> Thank you for your answers.
>

> I've tried using an earlier version of the Windows tools (3.2.1-3) and the problem persists. I'll have to try it in a new vm with no updates (this one was fully updated, already came with SP1 out-of-the-ISO). My VM isn't a template, I was a bit lazy.

Try installing as a template then. see if that helps?
SP1 has SP1, and is still missing about 1.* GB of updates.

If you update, it may help too.

Try tools version 3.0.2

I have the latest installed in my Win7 Standard Edition on my PC here, and it runs seamless with all the perks no issue. It's only on 30 day trial until I enter my key, only trial because i am currently just testing things out before i use my key again.

> I've also noticed a new error. Qubes is unable to start the qrexec-daemon.

That is normal, you will need to use qvm-prefs to set the timeout to maybe 120 seconds. Depends how long it takes for your win7 guest to boot. mine takes 12 seconds but i still have it set to 120 seconds timeout incase sometimes i have overloaded win7 and it takes forever to boot, or has to do a scan or an update install.

> Thanks!
>

> On 10 August 2017 at 18:38, <hugon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>

> Installed everything, had to use this method https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2488, and now it "works".
>

> If I start the VM in Seemless GUI, it goes on but doesn't open any application (with and without debug mode on).
>
> If I start the VM without Seemless GUI, it only goes on with debug mode on, otherwise it'll follow the above pattern.
>

> Also, 2nd problem, I've installed MS Office, I've copied the shortcuts to the "All Programs" folder and I'm unable to find them in the "Applications" tab in the VM config. Is there anything I can do? Also, other installed programmes don't appear on the list, it's not just Office.
>

> Thanks for your time!
>

> Hugo

Hugo Costa

Aug 22, 2017, 9:25:27 AM8/22/17
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, 22 August 2017 06:54:44 UTC+1, Drew White wrote:
> Try installing as a template then. see if that helps?
> SP1 has SP1, and is still missing about 1.* GB of updates.
>
> If you update, it may help too.
>
> Try tools version 3.0.2
>
> I have the latest installed in my Win7 Standard Edition on my PC here, and it runs seamless with all the perks no issue. It's only on 30 day trial until I enter my key, only trial because i am currently just testing things out before i use my key again.

> > I've also noticed a new error. Qubes is unable to start the qrexec-daemon.
> >

> That is normal, you will need to use qvm-prefs to set the timeout to maybe 120 seconds. Depends how long it takes for your win7 guest to boot. mine takes 12 seconds but i still have it set to 120 seconds timeout incase sometimes i have overloaded win7 and it takes forever to boot, or has to do a scan or an update install.

Yeah I had that at 300, didn't work either even when the system was fully boot up.

For now I tried with Windows Ultimate x64 with and without the most recent updates (w SP1), with the latest and the 3.0.2 versions of the Win Tools. Neither worked. I'll just give up and use it as a non seemless HVM, it does what I want.

Thank you!

Hugo Costa

Aug 24, 2017, 7:08:51 AM8/24/17
to qubes-users
Ok guys, I'd like to thank you all again, I've managed to get it working correctly! So, for those wondering, this is how I did it.

1 - Create a new TemplateHVM, add the ISO, put in 2048mb ram, increase the storage size from 20gb to at least 40, start in debug mode.

1b - if you get stuck on the glowing logo, follow this (https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2488)

2 - Install everything. I went with Win7 Pro x64 (remember Qubes Win Tools only work on Win7 x64). When you get to the naming part, remember to use no password and choose no automatic updates.

3 - After that, I updated everything, both mandatory and optional. Shutdown, restart, make sure all the updates are configured.

4 - Update the qrexec_timeout to 300 like the original tutorial indicates

5 - Reboot the VM using the latest qubes windows tools. Install everything, make sure you don't reboot at the first message (Xen will ask you to reboot, say no, continue with the installation). After that, everything should be done. Shut it down, go to the settings, enable Seemless GUI and try it out!