Upgrade to 16 GB RAM for an X230

70 lượt xem
Chuyển tới thư đầu tiên chưa đọc

ggg...@gmail.com

chưa đọc,
09:18:07 8 thg 2, 20208/2/20
đến qubes-users
I am sure this question has been dealt with before, answers change a bit over time.

I have an X230 2325, Core I5.

If I run the app from Lenovo as to parts to use, I see a lot of options as to which memory to use.   Also there is the matter of manufacturer.

Years back I had a Netbook.  When I upgraded the RAM in that, I needed to buy a special (more expensive) gaming RAM to get it to shut down.

As best as I can see I should probably buy Crucial, in the basic spec shown on the Lenovo website.

After I install it, how can I verify that the memory is operating interleaved?

unman

chưa đọc,
12:28:53 8 thg 2, 20208/2/20
đến qubes-users
Buy what you like and can afford, but match the speed and spec to what
you alreday have. (Unless you are buying two cards in which case geta
matching pair).
Crucial is good.

I have no idea how you can *verify* if it is operating interleaved.
It should do so by design.

unman

Anac

chưa đọc,
22:45:15 8 thg 2, 20208/2/20
đến qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 2/8/20 9:18 PM, ggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am sure this question has been dealt with before, answers change a
> bit over time.
>
> I have an X230 2325, Core I5.

Hi,
I don't know for sure, but answers may vary between stock BIOSed and
corebooted machines. I corebooted mine and would like to recommend this,
too.

> As best as I can see I should probably buy Crucial, in the basic spec
> shown on the Lenovo website.

Crucial seems to be a safe bet. Also Elpida, Hynix, Corsair (but not the
"Value Select" line), Samsung and ADATA work well on both my i5 and i7
X230. Kingston RAM acts strangely. It works but seems slow or somehow
'sluggish'. Avoid the "Value RAM" or "kvr" series.

> After I install it, how can I verify that the memory is operating
> interleaved?

From my experience, as long as the OS recognizes the RAM it can also use
it.

Btw. your questions may fit well on https://forums.lenovo.com or
https://forum.thinkpads.com

ggg...@gmail.com

chưa đọc,
09:51:38 9 thg 2, 20209/2/20
đến qubes-users
I have posted on the other sites.   Perhaps the best answer I will get is when I contact Crucial itself, during the week.  I also wanted to ask info from those who are doing the same thing.

Any comment about which device you used to put Core Boot onto laptop?  I see of the programming devices which I have to wait for it to come from China.

One of the sources for changing the wireless adapters is also from China.

I see some offers to sell batteries which have more cells.  Not sure if these batteries will fit.  Anyone have experiences with this.

Shame I did not have the money to buy the core I7 from the beginning, I know those things can be replaced in some desktop MOBO's.  Can it be done with this laptop?

Any other suggestions of fixes, upgrades, or tests to make?

unman

chưa đọc,
10:37:49 9 thg 2, 20209/2/20
đến qubes-users
On Sun, Feb 09, 2020 at 06:51:38AM -0800, ggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have posted on the other sites. Perhaps the best answer I will get is
> when I contact Crucial itself, during the week. I also wanted to ask info
> from those who are doing the same thing.
>
> Any comment about which device you used to put Core Boot onto laptop? I
> see of the programming devices which I have to wait for it to come from
> China.
>
> One of the sources for changing the wireless adapters is also from China.

Almost all devices you buy will be made in China even if they are not
shipped from there.
Cheap kits are available with CH341A and SOIC clip.
I've read about people worrying about voltage- never had this issue with
any programmer.
If you want to do more than one off, a decent clip (Pomona) is a must.

> I see some offers to sell batteries which have more cells. Not sure if
> these batteries will fit. Anyone have experiences with this.

9 cell batteries will fit the x230 - you want a 44++ or equivalent.
Many of the 9 cells you buy will need an EC patch. I always apply this
*before* corebooting. Don't know if that is needed.
https://github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec is the source

> Shame I did not have the money to buy the core I7 from the beginning, I
> know those things can be replaced in some desktop MOBO's. Can it be done
> with this laptop?

No

> Any other suggestions of fixes, upgrades, or tests to make?

Replace Intel wifi with Atheros.
Consider upgrade to IPS if you can (although many people don't see difference in
ordinary use)

unman

tetra...@danwin1210.me

chưa đọc,
22:11:08 9 thg 2, 20209/2/20
đến unman, qubes-users
On Sun, Feb 09, 2020 at 03:37:45PM +0000, unman wrote:
>> Any other suggestions of fixes, upgrades, or tests to make?
>
>Replace Intel wifi with Atheros.

What's the benefit of the Atheros chip over Intel?

ggg...@gmail.com

chưa đọc,
08:22:37 10 thg 2, 202010/2/20
đến qubes-users
Thanks to all who replied.   I have the X230 in hand now.   It was promised to be in A condition, (for $228.00, taxes included and at my door)   Looks brand new.

Thanks for the advice on the Clip, I suspect I will end up repeating the process on the same laptop.  Nothing goes well for me the first time.
Just as verification:   You have flashed one with an I5 processor.  I was thinking of replacing the processor in a Chromebook, Mr Chromebox advised his version of Core Boot would not work if I did, but I might get away with changing the SSD.  My brother used to make a living repairing PC boards, and felt with the right tools it would not be a problem.   I am guessing that the processor in X230 is not soldered in.  More likely it is still cheaper to buy a new X230 than to buy both RAM and an I7 processor.

I do not know the advantage of the Atheros Wireless chip over the one which came in device.   I know that the folks who rebuild the Thinkpad X230 to meet the Qubes certification test, change it.  So I blindly go along thinking they had a good reason.

If I looked a bit, it might be freeware software versus a blob.  It might be the Atheros chip is faster, more reliable. or the original install chip does not do dual band.

On another forum I see someone who said that the BIOS would show if the RAM was in Dual Channel Mode, which might not be the same as Interleaved.  Or one could use CPU-Z, freeware application is for Windows or Android.   (hmm, can Windows start with Core Boot?) Long ago someone defined Interleaved memory to me as if the memory is interleaved once, it effectively doubles the speed of the CPU.   However that was the old core doughnut memory.   I would be glad if someone could clarify.

Thanks for the replies.  I now know the direction I should go.  If I have the money.

unman

chưa đọc,
08:51:17 10 thg 2, 202010/2/20
đến qubes-users
On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 05:22:37AM -0800, ggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied. I have the X230 in hand now. It was promised
> to be in A condition, (for $228.00, taxes included and at my door) Looks
> brand new.
>
> Thanks for the advice on the Clip, I suspect I will end up repeating the
> process on the same laptop. Nothing goes well for me the first time.
> Just as verification: You have flashed one with an I5 processor. I was
> thinking of replacing the processor in a Chromebook, Mr Chromebox advised
> his version of Core Boot would not work if I did, but I might get away with
> changing the SSD. My brother used to make a living repairing PC boards,
> and felt with the right tools it would not be a problem. I am guessing
> that the processor in X230 is not soldered in. More likely it is still
> cheaper to buy a new X230 than to buy both RAM and an I7 processor.

I have flashed an i5 x230.
The x230 chip is soldered in and not swappable.

> I do not know the advantage of the Atheros Wireless chip over the one which
> came in device. I know that the folks who rebuild the Thinkpad X230 to
> meet the Qubes certification test, change it. So I blindly go along
> thinking they had a good reason.
>
> If I looked a bit, it might be freeware software versus a blob. It might
> be the Atheros chip is faster, more reliable. or the original install chip
> does not do dual band.

The Atheros chip uses free drivers, in kernel. The Intel chip requires
Intel drivers, not free.

> On another forum I see someone who said that the BIOS would show if the RAM
> was in Dual Channel Mode, which might not be the same as Interleaved. Or
> one could use CPU-Z, freeware application is for Windows or Android.
> (hmm, can Windows start with Core Boot?) Long ago someone defined
> Interleaved memory to me as if the memory is interleaved once, it
> effectively doubles the speed of the CPU. However that was the old core
> doughnut memory. I would be glad if someone could clarify.

Yes, Windows can start with coreboot. I expect there's a Linux
alternative to CPU-Z - quick ddg suggests "CPU-X"?

Interleaved memory just means that the memory addresses are spread
across the modules. This has nothing to do with Dual Channel, which
increases the transfer rate between the RAM and the controller. I don't
think the lenovo BIOS will show interleaved status.
As I said before, it's designed to work interleaved if possible. If the
modules are matched, it will be interleaved.
It certainly wont double the CPU speed.

brenda...@gmail.com

chưa đọc,
10:34:59 10 thg 2, 202010/2/20
đến qubes-users
Two inter-related arguments for switching to Coreboot so that one can replace an Intel wireless card with another card:

1. Lenovo BIOS generally has a small whitelist of WiFi cards that work and block all others.

2. Presumably the reason for this whitelist is support for AMT “out of band and silent” organizational inventory, configuration and tracking of laptops regardless of what OS it is running (e.g. even after wipe). The BIOS only has drivers for specific intel WiFi and Ethernet chipsets and can only “phone home” using known networking hardware.

If you avoid the in-built Ethernet and the factory specified WiFi cards, it is much more difficult to leverage AMT and similar technologies for remote control and tracking of a device. Not impossible but more difficult.

ggg...@gmail.com

chưa đọc,
06:50:51 11 thg 2, 202011/2/20
đến qubes-users
Fascinating things you guys post.  Thanks.  I feel better than ever in trying to create a computer to get away from big corporate enabling of mass surveillance, and surveillance capitalism.

Trả lời tất cả
Trả lời tác giả
Chuyển tiếp
0 tin nhắn mới