Qubes on Lenovo Thinkpad X250 Issues

rayho...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2016, 6:38:04 PM4/19/16
to qubes-users
I have attempted to install Qubes OS on my Lenovo Thinkpad X250 in "Legacy Mode". The installation itself works without incident, but when I attempt to boot, things hang on a black screen with a blinking cursor. I have also attempted to install in UEFI mode, but in that case the installation process does not even create an EFI entry (and I abandoned UEFI after reading about other peoples' troubles).

I have never read about anyone having trouble installing Qubes in Legacy mode, is there something that I'm forgetting? I have turned on Vt-d and Vt-x in the BIOS, but I don't imagine that forgetting this would prevent the system from booting.

Axon

Apr 20, 2016, 6:56:12 AM4/20/16
to rayho...@gmail.com, qubes-users

rayho...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2016, 10:09:24 AM4/20/16
to qubes-users, ax...@openmailbox.org
Even after trying to boot numerous times it never manages to. Yes, it is Qubes R3.1. I will try other releases later today.

Holger Levsen

Apr 20, 2016, 10:39:37 AM4/20/16
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 03:38:04PM -0700, rayho...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have attempted to install Qubes OS on my Lenovo Thinkpad X250 in "Legacy Mode".

does that have a 5th or 6th generation CPU?

--
cheers,
Holger

rayho...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2016, 12:44:28 PM4/20/16
to qubes-users, rayho...@gmail.com, hol...@layer-acht.org
5th generation

rayho...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2016, 3:58:27 PM4/21/16
to qubes-users, rayho...@gmail.com, hol...@layer-acht.org
Qubes 3.0 appears to work perfectly, so I'm happy for now. Don't know why this issue was introduced between 3.0 and 3.1.

Thierry Laurion

Nov 8, 2016, 11:29:34 PM11/8/16
to qubes-users
Bump. Its not Qubes specific. Same applies to latest Xen Hypervisor on Ubuntu 16.04.1.

Any idea what got introduced into Xen between 3.0 and 3.1?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 9, 2016, 4:56:32 AM11/9/16
to Thierry Laurion, qubes-users

Pablo Di Noto

Nov 9, 2016, 7:43:28 AM11/9/16
to qubes-users

> Bump. Its not Qubes specific. Same applies to latest Xen Hypervisor on Ubuntu 16.04.1.
>
> Any idea what got introduced into Xen between 3.0 and 3.1?

I am using a X250 since last february (installed R3, updated to R3.1 and full reinstall of R3.2).

No problems with booting so far.
Let me know if you want to compare BIOS versions, config, etc.

Regards,
///Pablo

Thierry Laurion

Dec 22, 2016, 1:11:26 PM12/22/16
to qubes-users
Yep I would like to, as I was able to use 3.1 with Legacy but can't boot 3.2.
Updated BIOS to 1.25, made sur vt-d and vt-x were activated.

It's an i7, if it changes anything. Attempting to add Xen hypervisor to Ubuntu results in the same behavior. Will attemtpt to find debugging arguments and setup AMT to have debug logs.

zabo...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2018, 5:24:34 PM2/4/18
to qubes-users
Did you manage to troubleshoot? I would like to reinstall Qubes v4 on my X250, after having given up due to booting problems at v3.1, and the issue is not identical, but might be connected.

Installation succeeds, but when booting just some lines mentioning xen are visible and then a black screen appears. No grub, just a black screen, and I can't find a way of interacting with the computer to debug.

Maybe someone has had similar issues and knows how to solve them?
Thank you.