Unable to change timezone?

Jodie

Dec 25, 2016, 2:42:58 AM12/25/16
to qubes-users
Hi all,

I seem to be unable to change the time zone. The option to set date and time automatically is greyed out. When I select the time zone tab of the date and time settings module and try to change the time zone to where I currently am right now, I get multiple pop up windows, each with an OK button in the corner. The first one states "Unable to change NTP settings", the second states "Unable to set current time", and the last says "Unable to set timezone".

Anyone have any ideas of where to start?

Jodie

Andrew David Wong

Dec 25, 2016, 4:51:57 AM12/25/16
to Jodie, qubes-users

Jodie

Dec 25, 2016, 4:56:51 AM12/25/16
to qubes-users, jodi...@gmail.com
That's what I figured the issue was, but I am indeed attempting to change dom0's settings from within dom0. I'm attempting to change time zone in the date and time settings module in the
GUI.

This is after a fresh update to 3.2 and reboot.

Andrew David Wong

Dec 25, 2016, 5:06:25 AM12/25/16
to Jodie, qubes-users

On 2016-12-25 01:56, Jodie wrote:
> That's what I figured the issue was, but I am indeed attempting to
> change dom0's settings from within dom0. I'm attempting to change
> time zone in the date and time settings module in the GUI.
>
> This is after a fresh update to 3.2 and reboot.

(Please don't top-post.)

You could try it this way:

$ sudo timedatectl set-timezone <your_timezone>

You can view a list of available timezones with:

$ timedatectl list-timezones

You may want to narrow down the list with grep. If you're in Europe,
for example:

$ timedatectl list-timezones | grep Europe
Europe/Amsterdam
Europe/Andorra
Europe/Athens
Europe/Belgrade
Europe/Berlin
Europe/Bratislava

> How are you attempting to change your time zone? You should set it
> in dom0, which has no network access (and therefore should not be
> expected to sync directly with NTP servers). The job of time
> syncing is handled by qvm-sync-clock, which is run as a cron job
> every 6 minutes (see /etc/cron.d/qubes-sync-clock.cron).

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Jodie

Dec 25, 2016, 5:16:12 AM12/25/16
to qubes-users, jodi...@gmail.com

(Apologies about that. This is the first group I've seen that does these bottom posts)

I have already tried that, and it fails with "Failed to set time zone: Unit systemd-timedated.service is masked".

john.david.r.smith

Dec 25, 2016, 9:32:16 AM12/25/16
to Jodie, qubes-users

> I have already tried that, and it fails with "Failed to set time zone: Unit systemd-timedated.service is masked".

I just tried it and it works for me (it even updates the time instantly).

did you change stuff in dom0?

Jodie

Dec 25, 2016, 9:17:17 PM12/25/16
to qubes-users, jodi...@gmail.com, john.davi...@openmailbox.org

No, I didn't. But that gives me a few avenues to explore. Thanks!

Jodie

Dec 26, 2016, 4:59:08 AM12/26/16
to qubes-users, jodi...@gmail.com, john.davi...@openmailbox.org

Okay, so this is a workaround. What I ended up doing was symlinking (manually) /usr/share/zoneinfo/myrelevanttimezone to /etc/localtime.

After that, because it still bothered me that it didn't work for me as it did other people. I unmasked the systemd-timedated.service with the command:

systemctl unmask systemd-timedated.service

Now, it works as John described. I'm not sure why it was masked, though. Perhaps fodder for a future enquiry.

Although I am glad that I have the right time zone now. :^)

Andrew David Wong

Dec 26, 2016, 7:53:56 PM12/26/16
to Jodie, qubes-users, john.davi...@openmailbox.org

Jodie

Dec 26, 2016, 8:01:33 PM12/26/16
to qubes-users, jodi...@gmail.com, john.davi...@openmailbox.org

System wide. I was doing all of this in dom0. I fixed it yesterday (so nice to have the right time)!