tools for "burning" bootable USB to install qubes

Raymond Rizzuto

Jun 14, 2017, 11:56:03 AM6/14/17
to qubes-users
Are their any other Windows tools aside from Rufus that can be used to successfully create a bootable USB drive for installing Qubes? I.e. Etcher, Unetbootin, YUMI, etc.

The install manual mentions that "Be sure to select “DD image” mode (you need to do that after selecting the Qubes ISO)" when using Rufus. Is there an equivalent step if using other tools?

Zrubi

Jun 15, 2017, 9:01:11 AM6/15/17
to Raymond Rizzuto, qubes-users

motech man

Jun 16, 2017, 4:40:38 PM6/16/17
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 10:56:03 AM UTC-5, Raymond Rizzuto wrote:
> Are their any other Windows tools aside from Rufus that can be used to successfully create a bootable USB drive for installing Qubes? I.e. Etcher, Unetbootin, YUMI, etc.
>
> The install manual mentions that "Be sure to select “DD image” mode (you need to do that after selecting the Qubes ISO)" when using Rufus. Is there an equivalent step if using other tools?

You might try https://www.rmprepusb.com/ or https://unetbootin.github.io/

Ray Rizzuto Jr

Jun 16, 2017, 6:13:56 PM6/16/17
to motech man, qubes-users
I was hoping to hear what is known to work, aside from Rufus.  I'll probably reinstall when the next version comes out and try a few other options.  I like etcher - used that on a Raspberry Pi project, so that will be my first test.

cooloutac

Jun 17, 2017, 9:38:40 AM6/17/17
to qubes-users, ad...@mo-techgarage.com, r.j.r...@ieee.org
I always use the one laszio linked on windows, rawrite32.exe. Its the one fedora website recommend.

Pull the stick out immediately when done though. Dont' even eject, cause apparenlty windows puts files on there when mounted and then qubes will fail integrity check.