Running Qubes as A HVM under another Type 1 Hypervisor

john.c...@ucdconnect.ie

Apr 17, 2017, 3:04:06 PM4/17/17
to qubes-users
Hi all,

Just wondering if this is possible.

Horrific security implications aside, it strikes me as an interesting set-up.

According to the Xen wiki [1] you can run Xen as a HVM under Xen, but with the limitation that the nested Xen installation cannot create a HVM itself.

So would this be possible with Qubes, in conjunction with some other hypervisor?

John.

[1] https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_FAQ_Nesting

Andrew David Wong

Apr 17, 2017, 5:44:06 PM4/17/17
to john.c...@ucdconnect.ie, qubes-users

Message has been deleted

john.c...@ucdconnect.ie

Apr 17, 2017, 6:09:03 PM4/17/17
to qubes-users, john.c...@ucdconnect.ie
On Monday, 17 April 2017 22:44:06 UTC+1, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> On 2017-04-17 12:04, john.c...@ucdconnect.ie wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just wondering if this is possible.
> >
> > Horrific security implications aside, it strikes me as an
> > interesting set-up.
> >
> > According to the Xen wiki [1] you can run Xen as a HVM under Xen,
> > but with the limitation that the nested Xen installation cannot
> > create a HVM itself.
> >
> > So would this be possible with Qubes, in conjunction with some
> > other hypervisor?
> >
> > John.
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_FAQ_Nesting
> >

> It's already possible in Qubes 3.2. You can install Qubes as an HVM
> inside of Qubes. (PV-only inside the HVM.)

What about under another hypervisor, such as unRAID or VMware>

Vít Šesták

Apr 18, 2017, 2:08:26 PM4/18/17
to qubes-users
I have heard of running QubesOS under VirtualBox with HVMs, but I don't know much details.

However, note that:

* QubesOS 4.0 will move away from PVs. Unless you get HVMs working (including PCI passthrough if you want networking), you will be out of luck with Qunes 4.0 or newer.
* As far as I remember, this is officially unsupported setup.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'