WiFi usb adapter does not work (inconstantly "iwlist wlan0 scan" works, NetworkManager does not)

qubesuser02

Dec 27, 2017, 8:16:58 PM12/27/17
to qubes-users
Hello,

My WiFi usb adapter does not work in my NetVM "sys-wifi" while driver is installed.

Settings:
- fresh Qubes 3.2 installation (+ recent updates)
- TemplateVM Fedora 25 (+ recent updates, + dkms installed, + newest wifi driver for my device (https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu) installed
- NetVM: "sys-wifi" (template Fedora 25) created and passed WiFi usb adapter through usb qube (sys-usb) to

Terminal results of NetVM "sys-wifi":
"lsusb" shows my adapter.
"lsusb -t" shows: "Driver=r8188eu"
"NetworkManager -V" shows 1.4.6-1.fc25
NetworkManager (in the system tray) shows "Wi-Fi Networks disconnected"
WiFi USB device LED blinks every 5-10s

"iwlist wlan0 scan" shows correct results (cells and their Details) only, if I hit the command while the device is blinking. This seems to me very strange (maybe this has to do with something like usb power management?)

I have no clue what to do further and hope you can help me.

Thank you very much.

awokd

Dec 28, 2017, 4:00:39 AM12/28/17
to qubesuser02, qubes-users
On Thu, December 28, 2017 1:16 am, qubesuser02 wrote:
> Hello,
>

> My WiFi usb adapter does not work in my NetVM "sys-wifi" while driver is
> installed.
>
> Settings:
> - fresh Qubes 3.2 installation (+ recent updates)
> - TemplateVM Fedora 25 (+ recent updates, + dkms installed, + newest wifi
> driver for my device (https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu) installed -
> NetVM: "sys-wifi" (template Fedora 25) created and passed WiFi usb
> adapter through usb qube (sys-usb) to

Not sure you can use USB pass-through like that, but I don't have USB
wifi. What if you cancel the pass-through, enable the "NetworkManager"
service on sys-usb, then use that as your NetVM?

qubesuser02

Dec 28, 2017, 6:01:52 AM12/28/17
to qubes-users
I do not get it work on sys-usb: Starting NetworkManager and nm-applet works, but the Network Interface doesn't Show up in ifconfig. Device reaction is the same: blinking LED.

I have followed this instructions, so the passthrough should work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Eic2jdBNM

But I don't know, why I expect problems.

E...@hotmail.de

Dec 28, 2017, 6:03:28 AM12/28/17
to qubes-users
Correction: I mean this instruction Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFwbQ06h8Qo

qubesuser02

Dec 28, 2017, 6:29:00 AM12/28/17
to qubes-users
Hello,

I get it work with "sys-wifi" with TemplateVM fedora-23!

But next problem ist, that I need the newest Network Manager which I get with fedora 25.

Any clue, why it wifi usb works with fedora 23?

E...@hotmail.de

Dec 28, 2017, 8:31:55 AM12/28/17
to qubes-users
I have checked the driver versions on Fedora-23 and Fedora-25, they are the same: v4.1.4_6773.20130222

Could this be a Fedora-25 issue?

E...@hotmail.de

Dec 28, 2017, 9:40:00 AM12/28/17
to qubes-users
SOLVED: Downgraded WPA_SUPPLICANT to version 2.5 (from 2.6). It seems to be a Fedora 25 issue.

awokd

Dec 28, 2017, 3:30:50 PM12/28/17
to E...@hotmail.de, qubes-users
On Thu, December 28, 2017 2:40 pm, E...@hotmail.de wrote:
> SOLVED: Downgraded WPA_SUPPLICANT to version 2.5 (from 2.6). It seems to
> be a Fedora 25 issue.

You might want to try Fedora 26. I just learned 25 is End Of Life already!

You can get the template by:
sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-26