Touchscreen not working on Qubes 3.2

atlahua

Mar 2, 2017, 6:02:56 AM3/2/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

ISSUE: Touchscreen and all other USB devices assigned to the same USB bus stop working

On Qubes 3.1 I found a workaround solution assining the USB bus that manages the touchscreen to dom0 (on sys-usb services tab). The touch screen started working. The disadvantage in terms of security is that the other devices assigned to this bus (USB port and built-in camera were also assigned to dom0.

The news is that after upgrading to Qubes 3.2, this workaround solution does not work anymore. Thinking that it might be related to having Xfce instead of KDE I swaped the desktop environment to KDE as instructed in your help pages but it seems that was not the issue. Also all other devices on the same bus stopped working, that is, the computer does not even detect a pendrive to one of the USB ports on the computer.

All the USB devices work fine when re-assinged to sys-usb, except from the touchscreen, that is.

___Laptop: Asus TP300LA 4GB________________________________________________________________

[user@sys-usb /]$ lsusb
**Bus 002 Device 005: ID 03eb:8b03 Atmel Corp.**
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 064e:9700 Suyin Corp. Asus Integrated Webcam
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 8087:07dc Intel Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

TomP

Oct 10, 2017, 3:18:37 AM10/10/17
to qubes-users
Issue : Touchscreen on Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus not working
On Qubes 3.2: Does anyone know how to activate the touch screen ?

Please help. Tom

Adrian Rocha

Nov 8, 2017, 11:22:46 AM11/8/17
to qubes-users
Same issue with Dell precision M3800. This was working in previous versions of Qubes, 3.1 I think.

Vít Šesták

Dec 25, 2017, 2:33:39 PM12/25/17
to qubes-users
AFAIK this is related to kernel option rd.qubes.hide_all_usb, not to Xfce vs. KDE.

cooloutac

Dec 29, 2017, 3:04:07 PM12/29/17
to qubes-users
i'm not sure, but maybe you need to manually enable mouse proxy for it, check its enabled correctly? https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/

Vít Šesták

Dec 30, 2017, 4:24:20 AM12/30/17
to qubes-users
While both mouse and touchscreen have some similarities (both are pointing devices), there are also some important differences:

First, mouse reports relative movements, while touchscreen reports absolute positions of touch.
Second, mouse reports two different types of events (movement and clicks*), while touchscreen reports just touches.
Third, touchscreen might report multiple pointers.

For those reasons, touchscreen needs a different proxy, which is not implemented yet.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

*) Scrolling is AFAIK a specific type of button.

cooloutac

Jan 2, 2018, 2:14:40 PM1/2/18
to qubes-users
I see, only time this happened to me was an older baremetal fedora release with lxde on an old laptop, I had to add entries to xorg file.

So in this case only solution is not use a sys-usb? Or just not use touchscreen I guess...