Running Qubes 4.1 under VirtualBox as migration strategy

Chris Laprise

Aug 15, 2020, 1:44:17 PM8/15/20
to qubes-users
Unfortunately, Qubes does not yet run on recent AMD hardware so I am
thinking of ways I can migrate the Qubes setup I have on my old Intel
machine to my new Thinkpad T14. The new machine is blazing fast, cool
and quiet (and lighter and better display, etc.) so I'm very interested
in migrating to the new system even if compromises are made. Currently,
I have Qubes 4.1 installed in VirtualBox 6.1 (Ubuntu 20.04).

Since only PV mode is available to Qubes VMs under vbox, I've tried to
configure sys-net accordingly by removing the device assignments and
specifying PV mode. But there is no network available and I'm not sure
what to do here.

The PV VMs also do not start cleanly from qvm-run and apps only run in
the VMs when the VM is already running.

I'm looking for pointers on getting networking running and for general
overall smooth operation...

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Yethal

Aug 16, 2020, 9:26:52 AM8/16/20
to qubes-users
Try KVM instead of vbox, that's what qubes automated testing infrastructure uses.

Chris Laprise

Aug 16, 2020, 6:56:58 PM8/16/20
to Yethal, qubes-users
On 8/16/20 9:26 AM, Yethal wrote:
> Try KVM instead of vbox, that's what qubes automated testing
> infrastructure uses.

I had a quick try with Virtual Machine Manager UI (using QEMU/KVM) with
no success. After choosing 'install' from the Qubes iso menu I just see
a blinking cursor. I tried with BIOS and also with one of the EFI options.