Severe Lagging after latest dom0 , seeking backup solution

Mike ru q fed

Apr 26, 2017, 5:06:42 PM4/26/17
to qubes-users

*hope this isn't dup, tried via gmane, but dont see that it appeared....

---

Update of qubes.foo.* and Xen-4.6.4-26.fc23 x86_64 packages in Dom0 ->
slow lagging mouse and window behavior ; luckily I new qube user and
just kept reinstalling, which fixed the behaviour, I've update debian
and fedora and whonix now and all is well, however, I'd like to
update dom0 but don't trust it, after specifically updating only the
packages labeled qubes-xxx and Xen-xxx , rebooting and confirming the
problem.

I have the installation on a standalone SSD , and I have another HD with
Fedora OS in the same machine.

I'm wondering can I clone the SSD of Qubes as a backup in case I try to
update dom0 again ..... or is there any alternative, suggestion , I
don't have the logs from the bad dom0 updates because I reinstalled over
the top ...

I was told on reddit that this is a known issue, however, reviewing the
newsgroup I don't see any mention of lag after dom0 updates, I not
expert level with linux , but used Debian back in the day , so can
handle a certain level of tweaking only

thanks in advance, Pimm

cooloutac

Apr 27, 2017, 2:33:19 AM4/27/17
to qubes-users, yre...@riseup.net

Funny you bring this up cause I seen a tweet today by Joanna Rutkowska that they will be introducing a paranoid backup and restore mode feature or something soon which sounds interesting.

https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2017/04/26/qubes-compromise-recovery/

cooloutac

Apr 27, 2017, 2:40:17 AM4/27/17
to qubes-users, yre...@riseup.net
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 5:06:42 PM UTC-4, Mike ru q fed wrote:

probably. might be just easier to reinstall since you said its brand new system anyways.

I have had some appvms freeze on me since dom0 don't know about mouse lag. You get this in hvm or dom0? maybe the new kernel conflict with your hardware in some way. What is your pc specs?

Apr 27, 2017, 2:58:06 AM4/27/17
to cooloutac, qubes-users

cooloutac:
Well, I guess it's dom0 , opening VMs , seemed particularly bad when I
moused over the taskbar area ....

It IS a newest CPU, but works fine on the pre dom0 Qubes install now

--

Intel Core i3-7100 7th Gen Core Desktop Processor 3M Cache,3.90 GHz
(BX80677I37100)

Motherboard ASRock H110M-STX (Mini-STX)
Chipset Intel H110
Graphics Intel HD Graphics

SSD

2 of Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin
- CT8G4SFD8213

--

Its not brand new now, I've been modifying it ; really prefer not to
reinstall yet again to solve this ...... I did see that thing about a

I don't mind waiting if this is a known issue, as some intimated, if
it's not a known issue , then I'm not sure what to do ....

Ilpo Järvinen

Apr 27, 2017, 3:16:00 AM4/27/17
to Mike ru q fed, qubes-users
On Wed, 26 Apr 2017, Mike ru q fed wrote:

> Update of qubes.foo.* and Xen-4.6.4-26.fc23 x86_64 packages in Dom0 -> slow
> lagging mouse and window behavior ; luckily I new qube user and just kept
> reinstalling, which fixed the behaviour, I've update debian and fedora and
> whonix now and all is well, however, I'd like to update dom0 but don't
> trust it, after specifically updating only the packages labeled qubes-xxx
> and Xen-xxx , rebooting and confirming the problem.
>
> I was told on reddit that this is a known issue, however, reviewing the
> newsgroup I don't see any mention of lag after dom0 updates, I not expert
> level with linux , but used Debian back in the day , so can handle a certain
> level of tweaking only

Now that you mention, I've also recently seen some GUI lagging I've not
experienced before. However, also the combination of vms/applications
I'm using while the lag appears is something I've not used before so I
cannot be sure if it's new or not.

If it is a new issue, I don't think xen has much to do with it since I've
run 4.6.4 for quite long time already.

And before somebody suggests, this GUI lagging is unrelated to the VM
freeze issue that is known to be caused by the gui-agent changes (and a
fixed version of it is already in -testing repo). No freezing occurs,
just slow to draw and somewhat lagging input side.

--
i.

Quser

Apr 27, 2017, 12:26:47 PM4/27/17
to qubes-users, yre...@riseup.net
latest dom0 update broke my system, at least qubes-manager seem broken.
at same time i created new app-vm (fedora23 based) - but not believe the new VM shld be reason of break.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mystic Buyer

Apr 29, 2017, 9:38:55 PM4/29/17
to qubes-users, yre...@riseup.net

Facing very similar problems after updating dom0. Not sure what is causing it.

Mouse seems to have severe lag, windows behavior is bad and delayed.

I've qubes installed on xps 15 9560. Did you find any fix for this issue?

Tried looking online for any similar issue didn't find anything specific