Network VM's always autostart even when they are not supposed to

Elias Mårtenson

Nov 17, 2017, 5:58:25 AM11/17/17
to qubes-devel
I have configured sys-net and sys-firewall to only manage the WLAN connection. I have
then set up two separate VM's, foo-net and foo-firewall that manages the ethernet
interface on my computer. The latter is connected a separate network, and have
dedicated VM's connected to them.

The behaviour that I am observing is that foo-net and foo-firewall are automatically
started whenever I boot the machine, even though they have autostart = False.
Also, there are no VM's started that depend on these network VM's.

What could trigger the start of these VM's?

Unman

Nov 17, 2017, 6:08:25 AM11/17/17
to Elias Mårtenson, qubes-devel
You havent said which version if Qubes you are running.
in 3.2 the qubes-netvm service may be responsible. You could try
changing the default netvm, or temporarily disabling the
qubes-netvm.service and see if that changes behaviour.

Elias Mårtenson

Nov 17, 2017, 6:12:07 AM11/17/17
to Unman, qubes-devel
On 17 November 2017 at 19:08, Unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org> wrote:

You havent said which version if Qubes you are running.
in 3.2 the qubes-netvm service may be responsible. You could try
changing the default netvm, or temporarily disabling the
qubes-netvm.service and see if that changes behaviour.

Oops. Sorry about that. It's 4.0rc2.

Regards,
Elias

Chris Laprise

Nov 18, 2017, 7:55:09 AM11/18/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/17/2017 06:12 AM, Elias Mårtenson wrote:
> On 17 November 2017 at 19:08, Unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org
> <mailto:un...@thirdeyesecurity.org>> wrote:
>
> You havent said which version if Qubes you are running.
> in 3.2 the qubes-netvm service may be responsible. You could try
> changing the default netvm, or temporarily disabling the
> qubes-netvm.service and see if that changes behaviour.
>

> Oops. Sorry about that. It's 4.0rc2.

I was able to prevent sys-net and sys-firewall auto-start in rc2 by
simply disabling 'Start VM automatically at boot' in settings. The only
other difference is that my default netvm is set to 'VPN' but I wouldn't
expect that to matter.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Elias Mårtenson

Nov 19, 2017, 9:25:52 PM11/19/17
to qubes-devel
On Saturday, 18 November 2017 20:55:09 UTC+8, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 11/17/2017 06:12 AM, Elias Mårtenson wrote:
> On 17 November 2017 at 19:08, Unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org
> <mailto:un...@thirdeyesecurity.org>> wrote:
>
>     You havent said which version if Qubes you are running.
>     in 3.2 the qubes-netvm service may be responsible. You could try
>     changing the default netvm, or temporarily disabling the
>     qubes-netvm.service and see if that changes behaviour.
>
> Oops. Sorry about that. It's 4.0rc2.

I was able to prevent sys-net and sys-firewall auto-start in rc2 by
simply disabling 'Start VM automatically at boot' in settings. The only
other difference is that my default netvm is set to 'VPN' but I wouldn't
expect that to matter.

I've confirmed that both the net- and firewall VM's are configured to not start
at boot (as far as I understand, this option simply controls the ‘autostart’
prefs option), yet the VM's still start at boot.

The only other thing that is special about these VM's is that my second
netvm has the ethernet hardware attached to it. That said, even if that was
the cause it wouldn't explain why the firewall vm starts at boot too.

--
Elias

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 20, 2017, 6:32:50 AM11/20/17
to Elias Mårtenson, qubes-devel

Elias Mårtenson

Nov 20, 2017, 11:52:40 PM11/20/17
to qubes-devel
On Monday, 20 November 2017 19:32:50 UTC+8, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> I've confirmed that both the net- and firewall VM's are configured to not
> start
> at boot (as far as I understand, this option simply controls the ‘autostart’
> prefs option), yet the VM's still start at boot.
>
> The only other thing that is special about these VM's is that my second
> netvm has the ethernet hardware attached to it. That said, even if that was
> the cause it wouldn't explain why the firewall vm starts at boot too.

Is any other VM started there too? Maybe some other VM (using such
netvm) is configured with autostart=True.

No. After boot, the only VM that is started except for the two sets of netvm/firewallvm
is sys-usb.

There are only three VM's that use the alternative netvm/firewallvm and none of them
are autostart.

Another possibility is dom0 update check or dom0 clock sync. Those
actions require appropriate VM to be running (see global prefs -
updatevm, clockvm). I think they will be started for that.

updatevm and clockvm are set to sys-firewall and sys-net respectively, so that can't
be the reason either.

Regards,
Elias