USB devices disappearing after rebooting fedora-26

Elias Mårtenson

Mar 5, 2018, 10:26:04 PM3/5/18
to qubes-devel
Running Qubes4 with the latest testing updates on dom0 and the templates.

After booting my laptop (Dell Latitude E7470) my sys-usb has two USB devices registered: The integrated webcam, and an 8087:0a2b (the USB root hub, I believe).

If I then boot the fedora-26 template and subsequently shut it down, the USB devices all disappear (I get regular disconnection messages). It only happens when shutting down fedora-26. Doing the same with the fedora-26-minimal or debian-9 templates, nor any regular VM's cause this behaviour.

If I plug a USB device into the computer, then all USB devices show up again.

Note that the devices never actually disappear from sys-usb. Typing lsusb in sys-usb constantly shows the correct output.

Regards,
Elias

awokd

Mar 6, 2018, 2:30:33 AM3/6/18
to "Elias Mårtenson", qubes-devel
On Tue, March 6, 2018 3:26 am, Elias Mårtenson wrote:
> Running Qubes4 with the latest testing updates on dom0 and the templates.
>

> After booting my laptop (Dell Latitude E7470) my sys-usb has two USB
> devices registered: The integrated webcam, and an 8087:0a2b (the USB root
> hub, I believe).
>
> If I then boot the fedora-26 template and subsequently shut it down, the
> USB devices all disappear (I get regular disconnection messages). It only
> happens when shutting down fedora-26. Doing the same with the
> fedora-26-minimal or debian-9 templates, nor any regular VM's cause this
> behaviour.

You meant other templates besides fedora-26 will NOT cause the behaviour,
right?

> If I plug a USB device into the computer, then all USB devices show up
> again.
>
> Note that the devices never actually disappear from sys-usb. Typing lsusb
> in sys-usb constantly shows the correct output.

Are any PCI devices assigned directly to your fedora-26 template? Is
sys-usb based on the fedora-26 template? Does the behaviour still occur if
you switch sys-usb to the debian-9 template?

Elias Mårtenson

Mar 6, 2018, 2:45:34 AM3/6/18
to qubes-devel
On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 15:30:33 UTC+8, awokd wrote:

> You meant other templates besides fedora-26 will NOT cause the behaviour,
> right?

That is correct. This only happens with the fedora-26 template.

> > If I plug a USB device into the computer, then all USB devices show up
> > again.
> >
> > Note that the devices never actually disappear from sys-usb. Typing lsusb
> > in sys-usb constantly shows the correct output.
>
> Are any PCI devices assigned directly to your fedora-26 template? Is
> sys-usb based on the fedora-26 template? Does the behaviour still occur if
> you switch sys-usb to the debian-9 template?

No devices are assigned to the template. In fact, other than enabling the
testing repositories and updating to the latest version (as well as adding
some packages) it's pretty pristine. I haven't done much in the way of
configuring this template, and I've had this behaviour since very shortly
after installing this machine (a few days after rc4 was released).

It seems to be something that is triggered explicitly when shutting down this
particular VM.

awokd

Mar 6, 2018, 3:08:43 AM3/6/18
to "Elias Mårtenson", qubes-devel
Can you try switching sys-usb to debian-9 and testing? That could help
narrow down the issue. Sounds vaguely similar to that kernel regression
around network attach/detach.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 6, 2018, 10:44:15 AM3/6/18
to Elias Mårtenson, qubes-devel

Elias Mårtenson

Mar 6, 2018, 10:47:09 AM3/6/18
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-devel
On 6 Mar 2018 11:44 pm, "Marek Marczykowski-Górecki" <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> It seems to be something that is triggered explicitly when shutting down this
> particular VM.

Do the disappear from both qvm-usb tool and devices widget, or only the
widget?

That's a good question. It definitely disappears from the widget, and they can definitely be seen by lsusb in sys-usb.

I'll check the result of qvm-usb in the morning.

Elias Mårtenson

Mar 6, 2018, 9:56:05 PM3/6/18
to qubes-devel
On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 23:44:15 UTC+8, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> > It seems to be something that is triggered explicitly when shutting down this
> > particular VM.
>
> Do the disappear from both qvm-usb tool and devices widget, or only the
> widget?

I have now tested this. They are still visible from qvm-usb. In other words, they only disappear from the widget.

trav...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2018, 5:25:51 PM3/11/18
to qubes-devel
I am having the same issue, but it only happens to me when I shutdown the Debian 9 TemplateVM.

Elias Mårtenson

Mar 11, 2018, 10:53:47 PM3/11/18
to qubes-devel
Is debian-9 used as a template for your sys-usb vm?