Google Summer of Code - Gnome dom0 project

Parthipan Ramesh

Mar 16, 2021, 7:28:13 AM3/16/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

I want to work on Qubes as my Google Summer of Code project. I'm a
computer science student at Saarland University. I am a Qubes user for
about a 5 years. I switched from Arch Linux where I used GNOME. I really
like the GNOME desktop project. Over the years I learned a lot about the
internals of Qubes.

I'd like to work on "GNOME support in dom0".

What I did so far?
- Built Qubes 4.1 from source and installed it on a test machine
- Learned buildstream (gnome build system)
- Built gnome

At the moment I'm getting familiar with Mutter (window manager of gnome)
so I can start working on the needed changes (colorful borders). I'm in
the planning/getting familiar with everything phase.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend me to look at? Any
resources?
Do I need to know anything about the GUI VM at the moment? I read the
blog post about the GUI VM.
Thank you very much!

Kind Regards,
Parthipan Ramesh

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Mar 16, 2021, 12:31:33 PM3/16/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Is there anything else you guys would recommend me to look at? Any resources?

IIRC Mutter is programmable via JavaScript.  It should be doable to select a window border color by looking at the correct window manager hint and then telling Mutter to paint the border of a window a color that matches the WM hint.

--
    Rudd-O
    https://rudd-o.com/

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 16, 2021, 1:29:39 PM3/16/21
to Parthipan Ramesh, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Parthipan Ramesh

Mar 17, 2021, 5:03:14 AM3/17/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Thank you! I'll look at that.

Parthipan Ramesh

Mar 17, 2021, 5:05:46 AM3/17/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello Marek!

First thank you so far for all your work in Qubes!

Yes, I'll read through the github issue to get an idea about what has
been tried. It should speedup the process. Thank you.

Best,
Parthipan Ramesh