Awesome WM

andrea...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2014, 6:02:47 AM10/23/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've heard that there is a port of Awesome, usable as window manager in Dom0, available. Could you share this? I'd really like to get rid of KDE. :)

Thanks,
Andreas

Wojciech Zygmunt Porczyk

Oct 25, 2014, 1:19:36 PM10/25/14
to andrea...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, joa...@invisiblethingslab.com
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 03:02:47AM -0700, andrea...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've heard that there is a port of Awesome, usable as window manager in
> Dom0, available. Could you share this? I'd really like to get rid of KDE. :)

Here you are: git://git.qubes-os.org/woju/desktop-linux-awesome.git

This is barely tested. There are currently following known issues:
- xscreensaver startup and dependency is missing;
- ConfigureWindow X event is sometimes delayed to after focus switch
(I don't know why, still investigating); that means resizing AppVM
windows is barely working;
- because of above, is not (yet) included in official repos, you have
to compile it yourself

To remedy some of those issues, I will post my rc.lua somewhere on the
wiki. Default config in package is almost generic.

--
regards, _.-._
Wojciech Porczyk .-^' '^-.

Wojtek Porczyk

Mar 11, 2015, 6:55:19 AM3/11/15
to fowl...@riseup.net, qubes...@googlegroups.com

fowl...@riseup.net

ro...@mullvad.net

Jun 4, 2015, 7:13:40 AM6/4/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, fowl...@riseup.net, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
First of all, thank you for your great work on qubes! I know you have a busy schedule so I hope this reply isn't too long and that I'm not requesting too much assistance!

Now, I recently started using qubes and as you probably know yourself (since you are the one who has patched awesome to work with qubes) not using a tiling window manager kind of drives you mad when you're accustomed to using one! :)

I'd just like some clarifications before I try to experiment with your patched awesome version:
- Does the resizing of AppVM windows affect moving tiles around as well? Do the windows get borked when a bigger tile is moved to a smaller one?
- Since the xfce repo has not been updated in the past months I'm guessing you haven't changed anything that should break awesome from working when using qubes 3?
- Is the rc.lua you're describing required for awesome to work with qubes?
- Is there anything else I should be aware of that you haven't described?

I understand that this is not production ready and am willing to live with some quirks/bugs here and there, it would just be nice to be able to use (proper) tiling again!

Regards,
Robin

As you have said

Wojtek Porczyk

Jun 8, 2015, 6:07:32 PM6/8/15
to ro...@mullvad.net, qubes...@googlegroups.com, fowl...@riseup.net
On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 04:09:37AM -0700, ro...@mullvad.net wrote:
> First of all, thank you for your great work on qubes! I know you have a
> busy schedule so I hope this reply isn't too long and that I'm not
> requesting too much assistance!

Sorry for the delay, but last weekend was the so called "long weekend"
which spanned 4 days because of the holiday on Thursday in Poland and
I used it for AFK vacation.

> Now, I recently started using qubes and as you probably know yourself
> (since you are the one who has patched awesome to work with qubes) not
> using a tiling window manager kind of drives you mad when you're accustomed
> to using one! :)

Oh, yes. Since I got accustomed to it, everything else feels so sloppy.
Nice to meet a friendly soul. :)

> I'd just like some clarifications before I try to experiment with your
> patched awesome version:
> - Does the resizing of AppVM windows affect moving tiles around as well? Do
> the windows get borked when a bigger tile is moved to a smaller one?

Yes, the windows do get borked. Resizing tile does not always results in
resizing of the window content. The workaround is to move the window
(for example swap tiles or, with 1 tile, maximise it shortly to cover
top wibox).

Long story short, X protocol is complicated and sometimes ambiguous and
there are different expectations and points of view. Currently there is
a clash of expectations between awesome and Qubes GUI daemon. The blame
lies squarely between them and there is no-one who does it "wrong".

> - Since the xfce repo has not been updated in the past months I'm guessing
> you haven't changed anything that should break awesome from working when
> using qubes 3?

AFAIK there shouldn't be a problem, however I didn't test awesome on R3 yet.

> - Is the rc.lua you're describing required for awesome to work with qubes?

In principle, no. Awesome works just fine with default config as well as
any found on the Internet. However to get Qubes-specific GUI features
(most importantly the Trusted GUI, which is required for meaningful
security), you have to patch your favourite config. The patch for the
default config is included, it should be easy to port to another setup.

> - Is there anything else I should be aware of that you haven't described?

Floating/dock and similar hints somehow get lost, but I didn't found the
exact place. Most annoying is the split-gpg dialog, which occupies whole
tile, which is half the screen as designed. I close it fast enough not
to get annoyed by it.

> I understand that this is not production ready and am willing to live with
> some quirks/bugs here and there, it would just be nice to be able to use
> (proper) tiling again!

I'd be interested in your config once you polish it enough to get
merged. :)

> As you have said
> On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 11:55:19 AM UTC+1, Wojtek Porczyk wrote:
> > > >

> > > This link redirects to the github now where I can find this repo.
> >
> > Uploaded to github:
> > https://github.com/woju/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome.git

> > > Have you worked out these issue and posted your rc.lua anywhere yet?
> >
> > I'm afraid no, I had more pressing things to do. Sorry for that.

42t...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2015, 10:52:16 PM8/25/15
to qubes-devel, ro...@mullvad.net, fowl...@riseup.net, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
any news on the tiling-qubes front? i'd really <3 to use i3wm (my fav tiling wm)
in qubes, but i'm not sure what would have to be patched in order to get it up and running
(e.g. with the right colors for the window borders and vm-name in the title)

this is currently the biggest reason for me not to use qubes as daily driver on my x220.

David Hobach

Aug 26, 2015, 11:58:50 AM8/26/15
to 42t...@gmail.com, qubes-devel, ro...@mullvad.net, fowl...@riseup.net, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
On 08/13/2015 12:22 PM, 42t...@gmail.com wrote:
> any news on the tiling-qubes front? i'd really <3 to use i3wm
> <https://i3wm.org/> (my fav tiling wm)
> in qubes, but i'm not sure what would have to be patched in order to get
> it up and running
> (e.g. with the right colors for the window borders and vm-name in the title)

Awesome works as discussed. i3wm would have to be patched in order to
make important Qubes features work (colors), yes.

It would also work by itself, if you can live without these features. I
wouldn't want to miss them though especially since they provide a big
security benefit.

g.v.

Dec 20, 2015, 4:04:12 PM12/20/15
to qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com
Hi all,

What is the current state of the patch?

the repository
https://github.com/woju/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome
seems a bit dated, does it work currently? Do I have to merge it with up-to-date version of i3wm?

Btw, if something is not working is there anything I can do to make i3wm work? No promises though.

-- G.V.

Outback Dingo

Dec 20, 2015, 7:03:34 PM12/20/15
to g.v., qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com
On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 10:02 PM, g.v. <ovch....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

What is the current state of the patch?

the repository
https://github.com/woju/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome
seems a bit dated, does it work currently? Do I have to merge it with up-to-date version of i3wm?

Btw, if something is not working is there anything I can do to make i3wm work? No promises though.

-- G.V.

you can literally replace plasma with xmonad..... and get full tiling without loosing the default kde config settings, i dont see a full need to replace the whole wm

четверг, 23 октября 2014 г., 14:02:47 UTC+4 пользователь andrea...@gmail.com написал:
Hi,

I've heard that there is a port of Awesome, usable as window manager in Dom0, available. Could you share this? I'd really like to get rid of KDE. :)

Thanks,
Andreas

Radoslaw Szkodzinski

Dec 21, 2015, 1:52:01 AM12/21/15
to Outback Dingo, g.v., qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 1:02 AM, Outback Dingo <outbac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 10:02 PM, g.v. <ovch....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> What is the current state of the patch?
>>
>> the repository
>> https://github.com/woju/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome
>> seems a bit dated, does it work currently? Do I have to merge it with
>> up-to-date version of i3wm?

This is a patch against Awesome WM not i3wm, should be fine against
Awesome 3.5.6.
Those are different WMs with different scripting.

The rc.lua parts should apply fine still and if not, should be trivial
to port. There were no API changes in the point release.
What it does is:
- add a prefix property and display it along application title
- add vm colors for the window borders
- replace menu with qubes-generated one

It's not quite a high performance implementation, calling python twice
to grab colors and vms and parsing desktop files. Could use some
caching and more direct Lua interface to Qubes libs.

The Lua 5.2 patch should be fine too, though you could instead use
Cmake 3.x and FindLua instead of versioned one - if 3.5.6 doesn't do
so already.

>> Btw, if something is not working is there anything I can do to make i3wm
>> work? No promises though.
>>
>> -- G.V.
>

> you can literally replace plasma with xmonad..... and get full tiling
> without loosing the default kde config settings, i dont see a full need to
> replace the whole wm

Xmonad is a terrible by default, hard to extend WM.
Using very dense Haskell (with "interesting" data structure to
represent the WM) to implement anything nontrivial is painful.
You also pull GHC and extra libraries into the TCB. Good luck auditing it!

Plasma takes quite a bit of RAM still, even as slimmed down as in Qubes.
I can see a few reasons to replace it, including mediocre keyboard
support, higher memory use and ease of scripting.
Not to mention smaller TCB still. Lua is tiny and well audited, so is
Awesome and the default scripts.

--
Radosław Szkodziński

Cyril LEVIS

May 5, 2016, 1:31:49 PM5/5/16
to qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com
Hi,

Could you please explain me how build and install cleanly this awesome config?

Regards,

Andrew David Wong

May 5, 2016, 2:44:05 PM5/5/16
to Cyril LEVIS, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, Wojciech Zygmunt Porczyk

Cyril LEVIS

May 5, 2016, 5:27:50 PM5/5/16
to qubes-devel, levis...@gmail.com, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
Thx I will re-check that

Peter Todd

May 6, 2016, 3:55:23 PM5/6/16
to Cyril LEVIS, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 02:27:50PM -0700, Cyril LEVIS wrote:
> Thx I will re-check that

Please let us know how that works out for you!

My only real issue with Qubes OS is I miss having a tiling window manager.

signature.asc

Cyril LEVIS

May 7, 2016, 11:12:24 AM5/7/16
to qubes-devel, levis...@gmail.com, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
It works very well !

But, I have handly apply patch to the few files after install normal awesome rpm.
I have not a pretty build env for dom0 and can't build rpm from a fedora 23 because lua version is more recent than required.

-From patch file, awesomerc.lua is /etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua, I have patch it but next, I have copy all dir /etc/xdg/awesome in ~/.config/; cleaner I think.

-I have 1px colored border and prefix in titlebar like [work], [dom0] etc...
-I will now try to tweak awesome config to autostart qubes-manager and do some keybinding.
- The autogenerated menu isn't enought large, i will try to tweak this.

Say me if I can help you to install it yet, next I think we can tweak config and share our tips.

Cyril

Cyril LEVIS

May 7, 2016, 12:49:07 PM5/7/16
to qubes-devel, levis...@gmail.com, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
- I can't find how to enlarge size menu, and also, I search how to re-add "Add application entry" to the autogen menu.
- I have be able to change wallpaper
- I would like to be able to switch between app from same VM, i think we must do something with prefix and awesome tags?
- I search a way to start qubes-manager in systray only, do you have an idea?

Mark Walters

May 7, 2016, 1:35:18 PM5/7/16
to Cyril LEVIS, qubes-devel, levis...@gmail.com, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

On Sat, 07 May 2016, Cyril LEVIS <levis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - I can't find how to enlarge size menu, and also, I search how to re-add
> "Add application entry" to the autogen menu.
> - I have be able to change wallpaper
> - I would like to be able to switch between app from same VM, i think we
> must do something with prefix and awesome tags?
> - I search a way to start qubes-manager in systray only, do you have an
> idea?

I can't help with any of these, but this thread has prompted me to put
the minor bugfixes/tweaks I have made to

https://github.com/woju/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome

somewhere public. They are at

https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/qubes-awesome-git

Since I have never actually built the rpm (I just patch/replace the
small number of lua files that are modified) my repository is just in
"installed filesystem layout".

But it might help with any tweaks you are doing.

(One thing I hadn't realised was how well mod4-p works for starting new
programs)

I have been using it for a few months and am basically happy with it.

Best wishes

Mark

Cyril LEVIS

May 7, 2016, 3:13:40 PM5/7/16
to qubes-devel, levis...@gmail.com, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
Thanks :)
I have fetch your modification.
I have just a problem with the rc.lua and "if string.match '^disp[0-9]*$' part, i get an error on awesome restart : bad argument #1 to 'match' (string expected, got nil)

Mark Walters

May 7, 2016, 3:52:21 PM5/7/16
to Cyril LEVIS, qubes-devel, levis...@gmail.com, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

Hi
> I have just a problem with the rc.lua and "if string.match '^disp[0-9]*$'
> part, i get an error on awesome restart : bad argument #1 to 'match'
> (string expected, got nil)

I think this must mean that awful.client.property.get(c, 'qubes_vmname')
is returning nil, which shouldn't happen (and doesn't on the fresh
install of the whole series I tried just before posting the link). Did
you apply the whole series, or just some of the patches? Did you have to
do any manual merging/patching? In particular, did you include the
qubes.manage(c) line earlier in that patch?

Best wishes

Mark

> Le samedi 7 mai 2016 19:35:18 UTC+2, Mark Walters a écrit :
>>

>> On Sat, 07 May 2016, Cyril LEVIS <levis...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>> an email to qubes-devel...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
>> <javascript:>.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-devel/a7456169-c883-48ec-a557-1dd9b6e3111e%40googlegroups.com.

Cyril LEVIS

May 8, 2016, 2:28:48 PM5/8/16
to qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com
I missed ligne 375 in your rc.lua :)
I patched it manually ...

Thanks for your help!

LEVIS Cyril

May 8, 2016, 4:09:45 PM5/8/16
to Mark Walters, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

Hi discover another problem.
It seems to be dbus problem.
I can't start awesome only at boot.
I must login to kde the logout and start awesome session to have all working properly.
If I start awesome only, for example vms with autostart stay with yellow status, and I can't then start app.
Also, I would like to my wlan networks applet in systray at start, but I must shutdown net cm, and restart it to get it. Maybe I must delai start of it?

Mark Walters

May 9, 2016, 2:48:42 AM5/9/16
to LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

> It seems to be dbus problem.
> I can't start awesome only at boot.
> I must login to kde the logout and start awesome session to have all
> working properly.
> If I start awesome only, for example vms with autostart stay with yellow
> status, and I can't then start app.

This does work for me without any problems (I am on Qubes 3.0 if it
makes a difference)

> Also, I would like to my wlan networks applet in systray at start, but I
> must shutdown net cm, and restart it to get it. Maybe I must delai start of
> it?

I do know how to fix this: just run xterm (or any "non-systray" graphical
program) and then the network applet systray icon appears. Indeed, if
you run

qvm-run sys-net "xterm -e true"

It probably makes sense to add this to rc.lua file, until we know how to
fix it properly.

I think something similar happens if you log in to kde, open several
vm windows, and then logout and back into awesome. The windows don't
appear until you start open a new window from that vm, and then all the
windows for that vm appear.

Finally, for the net problem you can fix some problems by opening a
terminal in the sys-net vm, killing nm-applet and restarting it.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 9, 2016, 3:47:01 AM5/9/16
to Mark Walters, LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

LEVIS Cyril

May 9, 2016, 4:04:53 AM5/9/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Mark Walters, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
Hi, thanks for reply,
@mark @marek I havn't my qubes laptop now, could you just say me which package provides this xdg autostart file?
My goal is to remove the maximun of kde dependencies and i had remove qubes-kde-*
Awesome seems to doesn't support xdg autostart (https://awesomewm.org/wiki/Autostart); I must so migrate those xdg autostart to lua?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 9, 2016, 6:35:46 AM5/9/16
to LEVIS Cyril, Mark Walters, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

LEVIS Cyril

May 9, 2016, 8:22:44 AM5/9/16
Le lun. 9 mai 2016 à 12:35, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> a écrit :

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 08:04:42AM +0000, LEVIS Cyril wrote:
> Hi, thanks for reply,
> @mark @marek I havn't my qubes laptop now, could you just say me which
> package provides this xdg autostart file?

qubes-core-dom0. I guess you have this package installed ;)

Yes I think ^^

> My goal is to remove the maximun of kde dependencies and i had remove
> qubes-kde-*
> Awesome seems to doesn't support xdg autostart (
> https://awesomewm.org/wiki/Autostart); I must so migrate those xdg
> autostart to lua?

According to that page, you can use dex.

Oh geat I miss-reading, searching for xdg in page, I will try to install dex-autostart and put this in rc.lua os.execute"dex-autostart -a -e Awesome"

Iestyn Best

May 9, 2016, 10:05:40 PM5/9/16
to qubes-devel
Sorry, just a side note.

Has anyone added this as an issue so that it can be tracked and developed potentially as an official Qubes option just like XFCE is?

Mark Walters

May 10, 2016, 3:36:12 AM5/10/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

Hi

>> Awesome seems to doesn't support xdg autostart (
>> https://awesomewm.org/wiki/Autostart); I must so migrate those xdg
>> autostart to lua?
>
> According to that page, you can use dex.

This definitely seems the way to go. (I think using the autostart
packages will also solve a different hiccup I hide with awesome under
qubes -- resolution changes not being propogated to vms.)

There are couple of difficulties:

dex-autostart does not appear to be in fc20, only in fc21.

It has python3 as a dependency. I don't know whether installing python3
in dom0 is possible or desirable. (Alternatively patching dex to use
python2 might be possible).

Finally, how good does awesome support need to be before it could go
into qubes in some semi-official form (eg in the unstable repository)? I
have been running it for a few months now with the patches I posted
above (https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/qubes-awesome-git) and am
essentially happy with it.

Best wishes

Mark

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 10, 2016, 4:24:34 AM5/10/16
to Mark Walters, LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

Andrew David Wong

May 10, 2016, 4:29:35 PM5/10/16
to Iestyn Best, qubes-devel

Mark Walters

May 12, 2016, 3:22:02 AM5/12/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

> Not sure how to proceed for Qubes 3.1, but Qubes 3.2 (with dom0 based
> on fc23) will be really soon. I hope to prepare first testable image
> this week.

That sounds great: I will test a dex/awesome mix when it comes out.

>> Finally, how good does awesome support need to be before it could go
>> into qubes in some semi-official form (eg in the unstable repository)? I
>> have been running it for a few months now with the patches I posted
>> above (https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/qubes-awesome-git) and am
>> essentially happy with it.
>
> I think the only missing part is packaging it as rpms, to actually have
> something to upload to the repository.

Once I have got the above working I will try and package it (as in
branch the existing rpm with the extra patches etc)

Many thanks

Mark

Cyril LEVIS

May 12, 2016, 1:19:21 PM5/12/16
to qubes-devel, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com, levis...@gmail.com, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
Hi,

Another bug, when I plug a secondary screen, then apply a xrandr profile for work on both, I must restart awesome for get a clean display.
After the restart I get a qubes-manager error, saying error appear while wmctrl -R Qubes Manager

Do you have the same issue?

Mark Walters

May 12, 2016, 1:34:34 PM5/12/16
to Cyril LEVIS, qubes-devel, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com, levis...@gmail.com, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
On Thu, 12 May 2016, Cyril LEVIS <levis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Another bug, when I plug a secondary screen, then apply a xrandr profile
> for work on both, I must restart awesome for get a clean display.
> After the restart I get a qubes-manager error, saying error appear while
> wmctrl -R Qubes Manager
>
> Do you have the same issue?

Hi

What are you doing about autostart stuff? I think this might be caused
by awesome not running
/etc/xdg/autostart/qubes-screen-layout-watches.desktop

We can run that manually for now, but in the longer term dex (or
similar) is probably the way to go.

Best wishes

Mark

LEVIS Cyril

May 12, 2016, 1:47:40 PM5/12/16
to Mark Walters, qubes-devel, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com
I think this is another problem.
I'm in the thread dex/awesome related, dex is installed and qubes layout notifier running.

Mark Walters

Sep 11, 2016, 5:12:51 AM9/11/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

>>> Finally, how good does awesome support need to be before it could go
>>> into qubes in some semi-official form (eg in the unstable repository)? I
>>> have been running it for a few months now with the patches I posted
>>> above (https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/qubes-awesome-git) and am
>>> essentially happy with it.
>>
>> I think the only missing part is packaging it as rpms, to actually have
>> something to upload to the repository.

I have now updated my tweaks to work with Qubes 3.2 rc3/ Fedora 23. I
have also made it use dex (called dex-autostart in fedora) to run the
xdg autostart desktop files, which fixes on key blocker in

Finally I have packaged it all as rpms (or at least source which builds
the rpms).

The main rpm package repository is at
https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome

However, rather than have the rpm apply lots of patches to upstream
awesome I have squashed most of them together. To see the separated out
changes I have a separate awesome-for-qubes source repository at

https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/awesome-source-for-qubes

All the changes there are small so it would be easy to cherry-pick those
that are wanted.

NOTES

1) The last two commits in the rpm repository are not relevant: they are
there for users who want to build the rpm.

2) Broadly things seem to work as expected -- monitor layout changes,
screensaver etc, colours of windows etc

3) At the moment I have set it so dex autostarts all the things XFCE
does. This is probably close but not quite right, but I didn't want to
get into modifying the .desktop files.

Best wishes

Mark

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 11, 2016, 8:15:21 AM9/11/16

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 10:12:47AM +0100, Mark Walters wrote:

> >> I think the only missing part is packaging it as rpms, to actually have
> >> something to upload to the repository.
>
> I have now updated my tweaks to work with Qubes 3.2 rc3/ Fedora 23. I
> have also made it use dex (called dex-autostart in fedora) to run the
> xdg autostart desktop files, which fixes on key blocker in
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1756

Thanks!

> Finally I have packaged it all as rpms (or at least source which builds
> the rpms).
>
> The main rpm package repository is at
> https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome
>
> However, rather than have the rpm apply lots of patches to upstream
> awesome I have squashed most of them together. To see the separated out
> changes I have a separate awesome-for-qubes source repository at
>
> https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/awesome-source-for-qubes

That's ok if the patch is still short. But in such a case it's better to
include git log --oneline in the commit message.

> All the changes there are small so it would be easy to cherry-pick those
> that are wanted.
>
> NOTES
>
> 1) The last two commits in the rpm repository are not relevant: they are
> there for users who want to build the rpm.
>
> 2) Broadly things seem to work as expected -- monitor layout changes,
> screensaver etc, colours of windows etc
>
> 3) At the moment I have set it so dex autostarts all the things XFCE
> does. This is probably close but not quite right, but I didn't want to
> get into modifying the .desktop files.

That would start things designed to work specifically on XFCE. I think
it should be safe to place "Awesome" or sth like this. So only entries
designed to start in any environment (or specifically for Awesome) would
be started.

"Awesome" currently isn't registered menu specification:
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apb.html

Don't know if it worth to register it.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Mark Walters

Sep 11, 2016, 9:13:53 AM9/11/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

>> Finally I have packaged it all as rpms (or at least source which builds
>> the rpms).
>>
>> The main rpm package repository is at
>> https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome
>>
>> However, rather than have the rpm apply lots of patches to upstream
>> awesome I have squashed most of them together. To see the separated out
>> changes I have a separate awesome-for-qubes source repository at
>>
>> https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/awesome-source-for-qubes
>
> That's ok if the patch is still short. But in such a case it's better to
> include git log --oneline in the commit message.

Yes I will do that.

>> 3) At the moment I have set it so dex autostarts all the things XFCE
>> does. This is probably close but not quite right, but I didn't want to
>> get into modifying the .desktop files.
>
> That would start things designed to work specifically on XFCE. I think
> it should be safe to place "Awesome" or sth like this. So only entries
> designed to start in any environment (or specifically for Awesome) would
> be started.

At the moment there are some things that are XFCE only, that I would
like to start; in particular xscreensaver.

I think the following is a full list of things that the .desktop files
start for XFCE but not an unknown window manager

/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
xfce4-volumed
xss-lock xflock4
xfsettingsd
xscreensaver -no-splash

I am not sure which of these awesome should be calling -- I think
xscreensaver is clear, and only xfsettingsd looks obviously wrong. But
this is much deeper into Qubes/Fedora than I know about.

Best wishes

Mark

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 11, 2016, 3:23:06 PM9/11/16
to Mark Walters, LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 13, 2016, 6:08:38 PM9/13/16
to Mark Walters, LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

Mark Walters

Sep 14, 2016, 5:04:28 AM9/14/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

> Are you going to change that commit, or only do that next time?
> I'm asking because I want to build & upload the package to repository
> and this is the last thing I'm waiting for.

Hi

Sorry I hadn't realised you were waiting on this. I have updated it
now. There were a couple of other minor (typo level) fixes that I did at
the same time. Note both repositories were rebased -- I hope that is OK.

Note you probably don't want the last two commits from the rpm
repository -- they are just so that I, and other users without signing
keys, can build the rpm.

Finally, as I think my git repository layout may be confusing I detail
what I have done below -- if it is not relevant then please ignore.

Best wishes

Mark

There is an awesome repository

https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/awesome-source-for-qubes

with two branches: "master" which has all the split out patches, and
"for-rpm" which has the split out patches squashed into commits which will
form the individual patches in the rpm file. Following your suggestion
the squashed patch contains the git log --oneline output for the
squashed commits.

And there is the awesome-rpm repository at

https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/awesome-source-for-qubes

This is basically a source rpm directory structure, and contains as
individual files the patches generated from the for-rpm repository
described above.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 14, 2016, 7:22:17 AM9/14/16

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:04:21AM +0100, Mark Walters wrote:

> > Are you going to change that commit, or only do that next time?
> > I'm asking because I want to build & upload the package to repository
> > and this is the last thing I'm waiting for.
>
> Hi
>
> Sorry I hadn't realised you were waiting on this. I have updated it
> now. There were a couple of other minor (typo level) fixes that I did at
> the same time. Note both repositories were rebased -- I hope that is OK.
>
> Note you probably don't want the last two commits from the rpm
> repository -- they are just so that I, and other users without signing
> keys, can build the rpm.

That signing code in rpms-* targets is obsolete for a long time, so it's
ok to drop it from there.

Also I've included source verification step, please merge it back (it's
in my repo on github). I can't issue pull requests from github to
gitlab :(

Anyway, I've just uploaded it to current-testing repository for R3.2.
Thanks!

> Finally, as I think my git repository layout may be confusing I detail
> what I have done below -- if it is not relevant then please ignore.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Mark
>
> There is an awesome repository
>
> https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/awesome-source-for-qubes
>
> with two branches: "master" which has all the split out patches, and
> "for-rpm" which has the split out patches squashed into commits which will
> form the individual patches in the rpm file. Following your suggestion
> the squashed patch contains the git log --oneline output for the
> squashed commits.
>
> And there is the awesome-rpm repository at
>
> https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/awesome-source-for-qubes

https://gitlab.com/markwalters1009/qubes-desktop-linux-awesome

> This is basically a source rpm directory structure, and contains as
> individual files the patches generated from the for-rpm repository
> described above.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Mark Walters

Sep 17, 2016, 4:41:52 AM9/17/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, LEVIS Cyril, qubes-devel, andrea...@gmail.com, wo...@invisiblethingslab.com

> Also I've included source verification step, please merge it back (it's
> in my repo on github). I can't issue pull requests from github to
> gitlab :(
>
> Anyway, I've just uploaded it to current-testing repository for R3.2.
> Thanks!

That's great, many thanks.

I have pulled your changes back to the gitlab repository, and I have
added a note there recommending the main qubes one.

Best wishes

Mark