Qubes 4.1 upgraded to Fedora 32 in dom0

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 27, 2020, 9:57:26 AM5/27/20
to qubes-devel

Demi M. Obenour

May 27, 2020, 12:30:55 PM5/27/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2020-05-27 09:57, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've mostly completed updating dom0 in Qubes 4.1 to Fedora 32[1]. For
> those already running Qubes 4.1, a manual upgrade is necessary:
>
> cp /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0-fc32.repo
> sed -i s/fc31/fc32/g /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0-fc32.repo
> qubes-dom0-update --action=upgrade -y qubes-release
> # qubes-release 4.1-0.24 should be installed
> # now make sure all .rpmnew files are handled, especially those in
> # /etc/yum.repos.d/
> rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-32-primary
> qubes-dom0-update --action=distro-sync \
> --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing --clean
> reboot
>
> There are a few changes and also some known issues:
> 1. Qrexec policy is migrated to the new format[2], not it lives in
> /etc/qubes/policy.d/. Old location still works.
> 2. Various software is updated
> 3. domains widget doesn't work (it crashes on startup, flashing)[3]
>
> [1] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5763
> [2] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4370
> [3] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5854

Is Qubes 4.1 suitable for use as a daily driver yet? Just wondering.

Sincerely,

Demi

signature.asc

Foppe de Haan

May 27, 2020, 3:03:30 PM5/27/20
to qubes-devel

Is Qubes 4.1 suitable for use as a daily driver yet?  Just wondering.

Sincerely,

Demi

I've been doing so since january, or thereabouts. Works fine, here.

Dylanger Daly

May 27, 2020, 11:37:06 PM5/27/20
to qubes-devel
How did you install? You build yourself an iso?

Sounds like it's basically stable, I've been on 4.0 for a long time now

Foppe de Haan

May 28, 2020, 1:23:34 AM5/28/20
to qubes-devel

Foppe de Haan

May 28, 2020, 2:21:57 AM5/28/20
to qubes-devel

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 3:57:26 PM UTC+2, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

Hi all,

We've mostly completed updating dom0 in Qubes 4.1 to Fedora 32[1]. For
those already running Qubes 4.1, a manual upgrade is necessary:

    cp /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0-fc32.repo
    sed -i s/fc31/fc32/g /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0-fc32.repo
    qubes-dom0-update --action=upgrade -y qubes-release
    # qubes-release 4.1-0.24 should be installed
    # now make sure all .rpmnew files are handled, especially those in
    # /etc/yum.repos.d/
    rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-32-primary
    qubes-dom0-update --action=distro-sync \
        --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing --clean
    reboot

Hi Marek,

Firstly, thanks for your and everyone's work. :)
Second, what do you mean by 'handling' the rpmnew files?
Update went fine, as far as I can tell. After updating, I am however left with a bunch of python2-backports packages from fc31 that dnf refuses/d to autoremove. Can I just manually remove those?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 31, 2020, 8:18:57 PM5/31/20
to Foppe de Haan, qubes-devel

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:21:57PM -0700, Foppe de Haan wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 3:57:26 PM UTC+2, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Foppe de Haan

Jun 1, 2020, 2:10:27 AM6/1/20
to qubes-devel
When you upgrade a package that ships a new configuration file that you
also have modified, rpm will place the new file with .rpmnew extension -
to not override your changes. You should at least review those files -
some part of the new files may be important. You can find all of the
with:

    find /etc -name '*.rpmnew'

If you have many of them, there is a `rpmconf` tool that helps with this
task (you need to install it with qubes-dom0-update first).

Thanks. :)

> Update went fine, as far as I can tell. After updating, I am however left
> with a bunch of python2-backports packages from fc31 that dnf refuses/d to
> autoremove. Can I just manually remove those?

Can you say which exactly? Maybe we've missed to remove python2 from
somewhere...
fedora-obsolete-packages
pythons2-futures
python2-iniparse
python2-msgpack
python2-nose
python2-pycurl
python2-pygpgme
python2-systemd
python2-backports
python2-zmq
python2-backports
python2-chardet
python2-crypto
python2-qubesadmin
python2-singledispatch
python2-backgports_abc

All are listed under 'removing dependent packages' when running qubes-dom0-update, yet all are left in place.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 2, 2020, 9:50:22 AM6/2/20
to Foppe de Haan, qubes-devel

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 11:10:27PM -0700, Foppe de Haan wrote:

> > When you upgrade a package that ships a new configuration file that you
> > also have modified, rpm will place the new file with .rpmnew extension -
> > to not override your changes. You should at least review those files -
> > some part of the new files may be important. You can find all of the
> > with:
> >
> > find /etc -name '*.rpmnew'
> >
> > If you have many of them, there is a `rpmconf` tool that helps with this
> > task (you need to install it with qubes-dom0-update first).
> >

> Thanks. :)
>

> > > Update went fine, as far as I can tell. After updating, I am however
> > left
> > > with a bunch of python2-backports packages from fc31 that dnf refuses/d
> > > autoremove. Can I just manually remove those?
> >
> > Can you say which exactly? Maybe we've missed to remove python2 from
> > somewhere...
> >
> fedora-obsolete-packages

This package should obsolete all the below. But for some reason dnf very
much doesn't want to install this package. qubes-dom0-update downloads
it into a repository in dom0, and then whatever I try, I get things
like:

[user@dom0 ~]$ rpm -q fedora-obsolete-packages
package fedora-obsolete-packages is not installed
[user@dom0 ~]$ sudo dnf install fedora-obsolete-packages
Qubes OS Repository for Dom0 3.7 MB/s | 3.8 kB 00:00
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

No amount of debug/verbose etc options give any more details.
But installing it directly with `rpm -i` works, and then `sudo dnf
autoremove` in dom0 cleanup those obsolete packages.

Does anyone have some idea?

> pythons2-futures
> python2-iniparse
> python2-msgpack
> python2-nose
> python2-pycurl
> python2-pygpgme
> python2-systemd
> python2-backports
> python2-zmq
> python2-backports
> python2-chardet
> python2-crypto
> python2-qubesadmin
> python2-singledispatch
> python2-backgports_abc
>
> All are listed under 'removing dependent packages' when running
> qubes-dom0-update, yet all are left in place.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab