gnome bloat breaks ssh

pixel fairy

Oct 12, 2016, 8:21:09 AM10/12/16
to qubes-devel
gnome-keyring runs in template VMs, breaking ssh on newer keys. see

and

it seems silly to me to even be running all that background stuff. can we do without it? maybe a simple x session just running qubes window manager and ssh-agent?

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Oct 12, 2016, 12:27:28 PM10/12/16
to pixel fairy, qubes-devel
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:21 AM, pixel fairy <pixel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> gnome-keyring runs in template VMs, breaking ssh on newer keys. see

(Sorry for duplicate reply, 1st email forgot to CC the list)

relevant: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2351

As best I can gather, gnome-keyring is currently being hard-coded to
autostart because it is perceived as a dependency of nm-applet:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-gui-agent-linux/blob/master/appvm-scripts/usrbin/qubes-session#L43-L45

That said... I am running without gnome-keyring and nm-applet still
works fine... so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pixel fairy

Oct 12, 2016, 11:18:18 PM10/12/16
to qubes-devel, pixel...@gmail.com
On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 12:27:28 PM UTC-4, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:21 AM, pixel fairy <pixel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> gnome-keyring runs in template VMs, breaking ssh on newer keys. see

That said... I am running without gnome-keyring and nm-applet still
works fine... so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

how did you disable it? just comment it out in your template? do you have ssh-agent working?

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Oct 12, 2016, 11:39:44 PM10/12/16
to pixel fairy, qubes-devel
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 11:18 PM, pixel fairy <pixel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> how did you disable it? just comment it out in your template?

Yes. And remove the xdg-autostart entry for it too.

> do you have ssh-agent working?

Yes. I am starting it via xdg-autostart using a wrapper which writes
the reported SSH_{AUTH_SOCK,AGENT_PID} env vars to
/tmp/qubes-session-env, which then gets sourced on shell init by
/etc/profile.d/qubes-session.sh.

pixel fairy

Oct 13, 2016, 12:18:04 AM10/13/16
to qubes-devel, pixel...@gmail.com
i was going to ask for your scripts, but, why not pull request it? just change the call to gnome-keyring-daemon to leave out ssh and gpg (for sake of the split-gpg thing)

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Oct 13, 2016, 12:41:22 AM10/13/16
to pixel fairy, qubes-devel
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 12:18 AM, pixel fairy <pixel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i was going to ask for your scripts, but, why not pull request it? just
> change the call to gnome-keyring-daemon to leave out ssh and gpg (for sake
> of the split-gpg thing)

See
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2351#issuecomment-251553023
and
https://github.com/jpouellet/qubes-gui-agent-linux/commit/e0d8bf974dbb340a7db6674ed6b9d8cb82c8a0bc

But I still don't understand the interactions of all relevant
components well enough to be confident I'm not breaking things for
other people.

I like to know what I'm doing before trying to upstream stuff. I'm
slowly reading my way through the qubes docs, various
design/architecture rationale threads, and the implementations of
various qubes subsystems, but free time remains eternally scarcer than
one might wish ;)

pixel fairy

Oct 13, 2016, 4:33:12 AM10/13/16
to qubes-devel, pixel...@gmail.com
Im glad you did as much as you did. i applied your patch, but instead of deleting the call to gnome-keyring, i just added "--components=secrets,pkcs11" to make it ignore ssh. just did it, just rebooted some qubes, sshed using the ssh agent with an ed25519 key to make sure it all works.