let domU change the displayed cursor

john.david.r.smith

May 28, 2016, 6:18:54 PM5/28/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
hi.
there is a small thing annoying me when working with qubes.
if i want to resize gui elements in an domU window (not the window
itself, but some sidebar similar to the one displayed by the google
groups webinterface), my cursor does not change.
it is ok, when the gui makes it clearly where to put the cursor, but it
does not do that always.

how much work would it be to register cursor change events in domU and
send them to dom0?
what do you think: would that feature improve the usability of qubes
(aka would this feature be worth its work)?

as far as i can see, qubes_gui would need to register the cursor change
events and the selected cursor (e.g. the cursor icon's id) and pass them
to qubes_guid in dom0.
in dom0 we could additionally add a 2 pixel border to the cursor (with
the color of the currently selected domain).
this would add an additional security benefit, since domU can display a
fake window mimicking a different domain, but we could see this by
hovering over the fake dialog, if the domain's colors are different.

so there are two proposes:
1) change the cursor icon according to the currently active domU (to
improve usability).
2) add a 2 pixel border in the color of the currently active domU (to
slightly improve security).

what do you think?

-john

Andrew David Wong

May 28, 2016, 9:36:39 PM5/28/16
to john.david.r.smith, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Chris Laprise

May 28, 2016, 10:20:58 PM5/28/16
to john.david.r.smith, qubes...@googlegroups.com
This has come up before, and there is an issue logged for it. The pixel
border idea is new, though.

Chris