Running (or not) Xen during installation

78 megtekintés
Ugrás az első olvasatlan üzenetre

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 3. 16:13:332016. 11. 03.
– qubes-devel, Joanna Rutkowska, Wojciech Porczyk

Hi,

Currently Qubes OS installer is starting full Xen + Linux dom0 to
perform installation. On one hand it is good, because it is obvious at
this early stage if hardware is not compatible (especially display
driver and its cooperation with Xen). But on another hand, it is IMHO
much easier to fix such problems having the system already installed.
When even installer does not start, in most cases the only alternative
is trying other installer (in extreme case - building custom
installation image). Also, starting Xen for installation require some
effort when preparing the installer (see below).

Initially running Xen was needed because all qubes tools crashed when
running without it - for example most of the tools do check running VM
list and of course there is no such thing when running without Xen.
But since Qubes OS 3.0, it is no longer the case - we have introduced so
called "offline mode" to perform those few tasks (create initial
qubes.xml, register installed template(s) etc) without need to launch
libvirt daemon in chroot environment there. All the tasks really
requiring Xen running are performed during first boot.

Long story short - technically Xen is no longer needed during
installation of Qubes OS. Or at least is very close to such state.

So, now the question - do we want to keep launching Xen for
installation, or launch just plain Linux?

Benefits of keeping Xen:
- earlier (negative) confirmation of hardware compatibility
- possibility of (re-)introducing later something that require Xen running
during installation
- rescue mode have Xen running (but not libvirt), which may ease some
tasks
- no need to change anything related to ISO build, at least not right
now

Benefits of dropping Xen:
- no longer limited to 32MB of initrd for UEFI boot[1]
- easier starting installation in non standard environment (network
boot, non standard installation media)
- ability to use almost any tool to write USB installation image (most
of them, like unetbootin, generously setup a bootloader to launch
_linux_ image found in the ISO image)
- better changes to install on not perfectly compatible hardware and
easier way to adjust the system afterwards (like - get at least
command line access and upgrade the kernel)
- less work when upgrading to new installer version (as part of
upgrading dom0 distribution)

[1]
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/794#issuecomment-135988806

PS I'm writing this exactly because of the ticket linked above - I hit
this problem again when building some Qubes OS 4.0 test images...

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Andrew David Wong

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 3. 16:24:272016. 11. 03.
– Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-devel

Trammell Hudson

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 3. 16:26:482016. 11. 03.
– Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-devel, Joanna Rutkowska, Wojciech Porczyk
On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 09:13:26PM +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> [...]
> Benefits of dropping Xen:
> - no longer limited to 32MB of initrd for UEFI boot[1]
> - easier starting installation in non standard environment (network
> boot, non standard installation media)
> - ability to use almost any tool to write USB installation image (most
> of them, like unetbootin, generously setup a bootloader to launch
> _linux_ image found in the ISO image)

One other option is to use a minimal Linux image that can then kexec
Xen/dom0/initrd without any of the UEFI limitations. This also addresses
the various interesting alternate installation techniques -- if Linux
has a driver for the NIC/filesystem/etc it is possible to use it to
fetch, verify and invoke the next stages.

--
Trammell

Trammell Hudson

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 3. 16:31:122016. 11. 03.
On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 02:26:28PM -0600, Trammell Hudson wrote:
> One other option is to use a minimal Linux image that can then kexec
> Xen/dom0/initrd without any of the UEFI limitations. This also addresses
> the various interesting alternate installation techniques -- if Linux
> has a driver for the NIC/filesystem/etc it is possible to use it to
> fetch, verify and invoke the next stages.

Additionally, as axon pointed out:
> By far one of the most common problems new users encounter (as reported on
> Twitter, Reddit, and qubes-users) is getting a blank screen with a blinking
> cursor when they initially try to install Qubes.

Using a normal Linux kernel before jumping into Xen would allow
testing of the hardware prior to kexec'ing the hypervisor.

--
trammell

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 3. 16:33:392016. 11. 03.
– Trammell Hudson, qubes-devel, Joanna Rutkowska, Wojciech Porczyk

7v5w7go9ub0o

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 3. 16:40:262016. 11. 03.
– qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 11/03/2016 08:24 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> On 2016-11-03 13:13, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
>> So, now the question - do we want to keep launching Xen for
>> installation, or launch just plain Linux?
>>
> By far one of the most common problems new users encounter (as reported on
> Twitter, Reddit, and qubes-users) is getting a blank screen with a blinking
> cursor when they initially try to install Qubes. I'm guessing this is Xen
> failing to launch due to less than perfect hardware compatibility (in some
> cases, probably outright incompatibility). If you think avoiding this would
> be valuable, then that's one thing in favor of dropping Xen during
> installation.
>
> - --
> Andrew David Wong (Axon)

+1; please drop it.

Trammell Hudson

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 3. 16:51:482016. 11. 03.
On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 09:33:34PM +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 02:26:28PM -0600, Trammell Hudson wrote:
> > One other option is to use a minimal Linux image that can then kexec
> > Xen/dom0/initrd without any of the UEFI limitations. [...]
>
> That's indeed interesting and in fact I was trying something like this
> when initially fighting with this UEFI problem. But every attempt to
> kexec Xen from Linux failed. How to do that?

I posted patches to the Xen list that remove dependencies on legacy BIOS
things like EBDA, although I don't think they have been (nor will they
be?) merged. kexec of Xen was broken between Xen 3.1.0 and 3.1.3 almost a
decade ago and apparently no one else was sufficiently impacted by the
change to track it down:

https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-08/msg01195.html

If there is an actual BIOS the VGA patches might not be necessary;
all of my test machines thus far are using coreboot with no legacy
support, so I haven't explored the minimal patch set to Xen.

> And how to pass dom0 kernel + initrd there?

kexec of a multboot kernel (like xen) allows multiple modules including
the kernel (and parameters) and the initrd. You can see my Qubes
start script (run from Linux-as-bootloader in ROM) here:

https://github.com/osresearch/heads/blob/master/initrd/start-xen

> Will dom0 kernel started that way have access to UEFI
> runtime services - which is needed to setup bootloader parameters?

I'm not sure about that. Again, none of my test machines have any
legacy firmware nor any traditional bootloaders, so I haven't explored
how it interacts with those pieces.

--
Trammell

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 3. 23:29:462016. 11. 03.
– Trammell Hudson, qubes-devel, Joanna Rutkowska, Wojciech Porczyk

Trammell Hudson

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 4. 4:48:162016. 11. 04.
On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 04:29:41AM +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> [...] Ok, this (and that Xen don't care about kexec) means we don't want to
> do this.

I'm worried that they didn't follow up on the report from 2008.
It does make me question how many users kexec into new kernels.

> [...] Using kexec from Linux
> payload of Coreboot may be really cool, but not for large variety of
> hardware.

There is nothing special about the Linux kernel or kexec binary
I'm using. Those are both stock; the two line Xen patch skip the
EBDA probe is the only custom code. Perhaps if it were wrapped up
to be part of the 'no-real-mode' command line option they would merge it
(although the probe happens prior to command line parsing right now).

--
Trammell

Zrubi

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 4. 5:13:172016. 11. 04.
On 11/03/2016 09:13 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> Long story short - technically Xen is no longer needed during
> installation of Qubes OS. Or at least is very close to such state.
>
> So, now the question - do we want to keep launching Xen for
> installation, or launch just plain Linux?

I would say we should drop Xen.

However in this case we may have to include a basic hardware
compatibility check module to the installer.

--
Zrubi

signature.asc

Holger Levsen

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 4. 6:49:022016. 11. 04.
– qubes-devel
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 09:13:26PM +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Long story short - technically Xen is no longer needed during
> installation of Qubes OS. Or at least is very close to such state.

given the benefits you described, I think it makes sense not to use Xen
during installation _as long as_ there is a live image one can use
to test ones hardware with Xen/Qubes.

--
cheers,
Holger

Ivan

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 4. 8:07:092016. 11. 04.
– qubes...@googlegroups.com
Seconded - there should really be a way to test hardware compatibility
before installing. The live image could be a smallish qubes install with
test reports during boot as the "full" usb live image may be useless if
users can't access the test report because they're stuck at a blank screen.

Ivan

Matteo

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 4. 13:01:422016. 11. 04.
– qubes...@googlegroups.com
I think that an option to check compatible hardware is useful,
and as far as i know since the installer starts xen this is a good way
to check if Qubes OS is compatible (not perfect because here installer
starts good but stops when creating net-vm because of wifi driver problem)
for example, if i buy new pc i will:
-get model info at the shop (and mostly online)
-ask someone at the shop "can i plug this usb key and boot?"
-->checked if Qubes is compatible

what about removing xen (which seems that makes many tasks easier)
and add a boot option "check compatibility" which starts xen and
display: "hello from xen: it works; vt-x present; vt-d missing; tpm
missing;"
forgive me if what i'm asking is no-sense and if this is too much
off-topic, i'm new to mailing lists

Andrew David Wong

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 4. 22:14:282016. 11. 04.
– Matteo, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 5. 0:13:302016. 11. 05.
– qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/03/2016 08:13 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Hi,
> [...]
> So, now the question - do we want to keep launching Xen for
> installation, or launch just plain Linux?

You're asking us about something whose answer you already know.

And we agree with you.

If there is no security benefit from launching the installer under Xen,
then kill Xen in the installer.

Just make a note during the install that the first boot may fail, and
provide a prominent link to a page where users can go AFTER the install
is done, to diagnose why their system does not boot.

That last part is really important!

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 5. 0:16:572016. 11. 05.
– qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/04/2016 12:07 PM, Ivan wrote:

> Seconded - there should really be a way to test hardware compatibility
> before installing.

A menu entry right under "Test and install the image" during the
installer GRUB boot?

That would be very nice, actually. Donno what the menu entry should do,
but it should probably try to boot into Xen, then into Linux, then run a
/sbin/init that is a Hello World program, which accepts any key to reboot.

(We'll sell those Any Key USB peripherals to make ourselves REAL RICH!)

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Joanna Rutkowska

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 5. 4:46:132016. 11. 05.
– Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-devel, Wojciech Porczyk

Chris Laprise

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 6. 18:14:372016. 11. 06.
– Joanna Rutkowska, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-devel, Wojciech Porczyk
On 11/05/2016 04:46 AM, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:

> In the long term, we would like to maintain *full* isolation of most of the PCIe
> devices (so DMA and MSI capable) from the TCB (perhaps except for the MCH pseudo
> devs).
>
> This should be maintained throughout the whole boot process, starting from the
> reset vector. I don't think running Linux would allow us to achieve that. So, we
> should aim at keeping Xen, and in the future, when we have better firmware to
> work with (Coreboot?) make sure that at no point in time any of the untrusted
> PCIe, such as your WiFi NIC, can interfere with the boot process.
>
> joanna.

Speaking of long-term, it would be interesting to know if ITL could
consider specifying a hardware platform where Qubes or a Qubes-like OS
could operate with greater consistency. The Qubes community currently
spends most of its time and effort trying to reconcile the OS with the
whims and priorities of Windows PC vendors.

Even if its not realistic to build such a PC in the near term, having a
hardware (and firmware) specification that supports the objectives of
Qubes could be educational and garner interest from more
hardware-focused people and projects. It would also serve as a reminder
of how (comparatively) problematic most PCs are.

Chris

Andrew David Wong

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 6. 22:20:002016. 11. 06.
– Chris Laprise, Joanna Rutkowska, qubes-devel

Chris Laprise

olvasatlan,
2016. nov. 7. 12:44:052016. 11. 07.
– Andrew David Wong, Joanna Rutkowska, qubes-devel
On 11/06/2016 10:19 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> On 2016-11-06 15:14, Chris Laprise wrote:
>> On 11/05/2016 04:46 AM, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
>>> In the long term, we would like to maintain *full* isolation of most of the PCIe
>>> devices (so DMA and MSI capable) from the TCB (perhaps except for the MCH pseudo
>>> devs).
>>>
>>> This should be maintained throughout the whole boot process, starting from the
>>> reset vector. I don't think running Linux would allow us to achieve that. So, we
>>> should aim at keeping Xen, and in the future, when we have better firmware to
>>> work with (Coreboot?) make sure that at no point in time any of the untrusted
>>> PCIe, such as your WiFi NIC, can interfere with the boot process.
>>>
>>> joanna.
>> Speaking of long-term, it would be interesting to know if ITL could consider specifying a hardware platform where Qubes or a Qubes-like OS could operate with greater consistency. The Qubes community currently spends most of its time and effort trying to reconcile the OS with the whims and priorities of Windows PC vendors.
>>
>> Even if its not realistic to build such a PC in the near term, having a hardware (and firmware) specification that supports the objectives of Qubes could be educational and garner interest from more hardware-focused people and projects. It would also serve as a reminder of how (comparatively) problematic most PCs are.
>>
>> Chris
>>
> What you're describing sounds like the required specifications for Qubes-certified hardware beginning with R4.0:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2016/07/21/new-hw-certification-for-q4/
>
> Or did you have something different in mind?
>
> - --
> Andrew David Wong (Axon)
> Community Manager, Qubes OS
> https://www.qubes-os.org

Something else entirely... Like specifying CPU features, instruction
sets, bus characteristics, etc. using currently available open hardware
designs as a starting point. I think Joanna would be able to do or at
least oversee much of this planning. It would have a high-level aspect
stating the minimal hardware features at a macro level, but more
importantly it would drill way down to the hardware logic and would
serve as a guide for specific implementation plans used to fabricate
chips and motherboards.

So, ultimately, systems built for non-x86 Qubes could be planned openly
down to the last logic gate.

There would also have to be an establishment of procedures to serve as a
"reasonable" guide for auditing manufacturing processes (e.g. help
ensure chip fabrication delivers product without surprises).

An opportunity exists here to introduce a truly proper replacement for
"regular PCs", which I think are a poor match for the kind of security
Qubes is trying to deliver. Currently its like taking an old hotel
building and trying to turn it into a rocket gantry.

Chris
Válasz mindenkinek
Válasz a szerzőnek
Továbbítás