Skylake on R3.1-rc1

Eric Shelton

Dec 1, 2015, 1:09:06 PM12/1/15
to qubes-devel, marmarek
Marek,

Just a heads up that I think I sorted out what needs to happen for Skylake to work with Qubes:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/UXP8RJffpsY/k15G1txyAgAJ

Also, although not necessary to get things running, attached is a recent patch from xen-devel to get Xen's mwait-idle working for Skylake, in case you want to make use of it.

Best,
Eric

mwait-skylake.patch

Outback Dingo

Dec 1, 2015, 3:50:41 PM12/1/15
to Eric Shelton, qubes-devel, marmarek
Just so everyone is aware, ive got a skylake laptop 264 Gb, and 4K Video with Fedora 23 and XEN 4.5.1 running on it fine, under kde plasma 5/xmonad desktop
I guess qubes itself could bump up a bit even, my audio and video work great, and im using the nouveau driver under XEN on a 4k laptop screen
no problems, also a display port to a 34" LG UWQHD Screen, just have to plug the external monitor in after the system boots or SDDM freaks out.
It would be great to get a "more updated" version of Qubes on it though.

Outback Dingo

Dec 1, 2015, 3:51:25 PM12/1/15
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Outback Dingo <outbac...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 5:09 AM, Eric Shelton <knock...@gmail.com> wrote:
Marek,

Just a heads up that I think I sorted out what needs to happen for Skylake to work with Qubes:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/UXP8RJffpsY/k15G1txyAgAJ

Also, although not necessary to get things running, attached is a recent patch from xen-devel to get Xen's mwait-idle working for Skylake, in case you want to make use of it.

Best,
Eric

Just so everyone is aware, ive got a skylake laptop 264 Gb, and 4K Video with Fedora 23 and XEN 4.5.1 running on it fine, under kde plasma 5/xmonad desktop

Errr correction thats 64Gb memory

Eric Shelton

Dec 1, 2015, 4:18:19 PM12/1/15
to qubes-devel, knock...@gmail.com, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 3:50:41 PM UTC-5, Outback Dingo wrote:

[...]

Most of the headache with running Skylake has been with the integrated GPU.  In your case, since you are running nouveau, I would say that is not a problem.  If you apply the xsave patch to Xen 4.4.3, or add 'xsave=0' to the Xen command line in grub.cfg, I see no reason why you should not be able to run Qubes R3.0 (except that you may have trouble getting the 3.0 installer to run, because 'xsave=0' is not getting sent to Xen - one way around this is to do the initial install on a non-Skylake machine).  I would expect no problems for you on the upcoming R3.1-rc1, whether or not Marek incorporates the above suggestions, since you do not need the integrated GPU to work on your laptop.

Eric

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 1, 2015, 4:24:55 PM12/1/15
to Eric Shelton, qubes-devel

Eric Shelton

Dec 1, 2015, 5:15:59 PM12/1/15
to qubes-devel
The 'i915.preliminary_hw_support=1' option is for the Linux kernel, and is required unless you are running 4.3 (which made Skylake support no longer preliminary).

The 'xsave=0' option is for Xen, and is no longer needed in 4.6, or is no longer needed if you apply the patch against 4.4.3 I provided a few days ago.

Eric

Eric Shelton

Oct 14, 2016, 12:37:56 PM10/14/16
to qubes-devel, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com
After doing a fresh install of Qubes 3.2 on a Skylake system, I noticed that 'xl dmesg' was reporting "mwait-idle: does not run on family 6 model 94".  As I mentioned above, a patch is available to address this.  Since then, the above patch was committed to xen.git (4c6cd64519f9bc270a7278128c94e4b66e3d2077).

There are also commits for mwait-idle updates to Kaby Lake (1008063e1cd15257875b9db18eede710077adea5) and Skylake Xeon (9062fd6bfa5211398582780d89d655cff9f9ed8c).

While you are at it, you might want to pull in a couple of subsequent Skylake-related commits: 5a211704e8813c4890c8ce8dc4189d1dfb35ecd0 ("mwait-idle: prevent SKL-H boot failure when C8+C9+C10 enabled") and 372ad59dd0e7a3df0bd46ec3c8b934d739eb07b5 ("mwait-idle: add a missing __init annotation").

There is another Skylake-related commit unrelated to mwait-idle (c52319642bb9069436d4aec75361049f5fac63ed), but I don't know if this is actually likely to cause any issues.

Eric

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Oct 14, 2016, 11:20:17 PM10/14/16
to Eric Shelton, qubes-devel

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 09:37:55AM -0700, Eric Shelton wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 1:09:06 PM UTC-5, Eric Shelton wrote:
> >
> > Marek,
> >
> > Just a heads up that I think I sorted out what needs to happen for Skylake
> > to work with Qubes:
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/UXP8RJffpsY/k15G1txyAgAJ

> > requires firmware blobs for Skylake, which need to be included in initramfs.
> >
> > Also, although not necessary to get things running, attached is a recent
> > patch from xen-devel to get Xen's mwait-idle working for Skylake, in case
> > you want to make use of it.
> >
> > Best,
> > Eric
> >

> After doing a fresh install of Qubes 3.2 on a Skylake system, I noticed
> that 'xl dmesg' was reporting "mwait-idle: does not run on family 6 model
> 94". As I mentioned above, a patch is available to address this. Since
> then, the above patch was committed to xen.git
> (4c6cd64519f9bc270a7278128c94e4b66e3d2077).
>
> There are also commits for mwait-idle updates to Kaby Lake
> (1008063e1cd15257875b9db18eede710077adea5) and Skylake Xeon
> (9062fd6bfa5211398582780d89d655cff9f9ed8c).

Thanks!

> While you are at it, you might want to pull in a couple of subsequent
> Skylake-related commits: 5a211704e8813c4890c8ce8dc4189d1dfb35ecd0
> ("mwait-idle: prevent SKL-H boot failure when C8+C9+C10 enabled")

Backporting this one to Xen 4.6 is non-trivial, as
xen/include/public/arch-x86/cpufeatureset.h isn't there. And to make
things harder, "CPUID level 0x00000007:0.ebx" values are moved to word 5
from word 7 in the commit introducing cpufeatureset.h, without any
explanation. In fact I'm not sure if that isn't a bug.

So, I'll leave it out, as there is a workaround: either specify
max_cstate=7, or enable SGX in BIOS.

Hmm, but actually this may make things worse: instead of unsupported
mwait-idle, backporting only first patches may result in unbootable
system (unless mentioned workaround will be applied). So, maybe better
do not apply any of those?

> and 372ad59dd0e7a3df0bd46ec3c8b934d739eb07b5 ("mwait-idle: add a missing
> __init annotation").

And this one is a fix for 5a211704e8813c4890c8ce8dc4189d1dfb35ecd0.

> There is another Skylake-related commit unrelated to mwait-idle
> (c52319642bb9069436d4aec75361049f5fac63ed), but I don't know if this is
> actually likely to cause any issues.

This also is tricky to backport to 4.6.

- --
Best Regards,