Gearbox H4

russ price

Sep 10, 2019, 9:37:58 AM9/10/19
to Quantum Owners Group
 I have a an H4 with a 2.0 litre silver top, the gearbox is rod operated and the gearlever return spring has failed, which i believe is located deep in the bowels of the g/box, second gear also has a tendency to crunch changing down. I think it will be easier and cheaper to change the box rather than repair it. The question is what is  suitable box. This one perhaps :- ebay g/box
I would have to swap the bell housing as i have a cable clutch but that shouln't be a big deal.
Any observations/suggestions plesase?
Russ

Jim Hearne

Sep 10, 2019, 9:46:24 AM9/10/19
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
The gate and the springs for centring are inside the gearbox.

That gearbox is from a Yamaha Zetec-S engine, it has a different mounting pattern to the other Zetecs, the starter is also in a different position.
The IB5 gearboxes don’t have a separate bellhousing, it’s all part of the gearbox.

The Mk5 Escort 1.6 and 1.8 105ps had the last IB5 gearboxes that are compatible with the silver top Zetec as far as i know.
But be prepared to mess around with the clutch and the release bearings to find a combination that works.
Otherwise, Mk3 Fiesta is the only easy option.

Jim

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/8ee3450d-58c8-40c1-afa4-8ec24fbdfb76%40googlegroups.com.

bill

Sep 10, 2019, 10:42:54 AM9/10/19
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Russ, what gear box is it running now?
I have a couple of gearboxes in my spares store, one from mk3 fiesta the other from a zetec silvertop mk5 escort, I think, I’d need to check, either could be available if suitable at a sensible price,
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

russ price

Sep 10, 2019, 5:04:30 PM9/10/19
to Quantum Owners Group
Jim - Yes i see what you mean it's not at all suitable.

Bill - Thankyou I may well be interested in a gearbox.

I realise now some of the things i have been told about Ford BC  & IB5 gearboxes is less than accurate. I need to look carefully at the gearbox in both cars (i also have a saloon with an ST170 engine with useable but weak gearlever return springs.)
Russ

russ price

Sep 11, 2019, 7:41:06 AM9/11/19
to Quantum Owners Group
The numbers cast on the gearbox  are on the H4- 87 TT 7F 096 AB  on the saloon- 87 TT 060 AA. I'm unable to find these listed anywhere online. Descriptions/images on websites appear contradictory but BC type seems the most likely.
Can anyone decypher the numbers please?
Russ

Jim Hearne

Sep 11, 2019, 7:46:45 AM9/11/19
to Quantum Owners Group
The important numbers for the gearboxes are what is on the metal tag that should be under one of the bolts holding the 2 gearbox halves together..
The number cast on the gearbox is just for that casting, the only useful bit is the 87 which means that part was first used in 1987.
So they are probably both Mk2 Fiesta BC boxes

Not the strongest boxes for a 2.0 or ST170 engine.

There is a lot of confusion on the net over which boxes are BC, B5 and IB5 (Improved B5).

Jim

Sep 11, 2019, 8:01:44 AM9/11/19
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Actually, they could be B5 from 1987, i think when the gearlever gate was moved into the gearbox was B5
Externally the BC and B5 look almost the same.
The IB5 is easier to tell as it has a lot more external webbing as well as even more uprated bearings.

Jim

russ price

Sep 11, 2019, 9:47:16 AM9/11/19
to Quantum Owners Group
I did wonder about 87 meaning 1987 but thought it too much of a coincedence to have 2 gear boxes from the same year, especially as the H4 was supposedly built from a 95 donor car. The metal tags are of course missing on both cars.
The question now is if the BC box is on the weak side, which gearbox(s) should i be looking for?
Russ

bill

Sep 11, 2019, 9:47:51 AM9/11/19
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I’ve just checked on the two gearboxes I have, the tags read
89 WT BA
FOG OC 30C
And
91 WT MB
FOB4 106
To me only the 89 and 91 would make sense, if they denote the year, otherwise?
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

Jim Hearne

Sep 11, 2019, 9:50:44 AM9/11/19
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, they are the year, so those are probably Mk3 Fiesta B5 or IB5 gearboxes.
Even a really tame Ford dealer struggled to decode the rest of the numbers on the tags many years ago.

Jim

Jim Hearne

Sep 11, 2019, 10:00:27 AM9/11/19
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
The strongest box that should fit straight on is from a Mk3.5 Fiesta Diesel.
But, it’s quite high geared so you will get nice relaxed cruising on the Motorway but at the expense of some acceleration.

One from a Fiesta RST with a LSD would also be good but it would only be a B5 not a IB5.

Or, one from a Mk5 Escort 1.6 or 1.8 ps Zetec, the later of these have the starter at the rear of the gearbox but a matching starter and a bit of wiring and it will work.
Not the 130ps 1.8 XR3I as that had the MTX75 gearbox, completely different.
You may have to mess around finding a combination of clutch release bearings and clutch.
And don’t go too late or it will have a hydraulic clutch instead of cable.
1995 was about the latest i think.

My 2+2 ZVH Turbo and Matthew’s (now Roberts) Zetec turbo are both running Escort Mk5 IB5 gearboxes with Mk4 Escort RST LSD’s fitted into them.

Jim

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.

bill

Sep 11, 2019, 10:01:05 AM9/11/19
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Earlier one from xr2i with cvh engine, other from escort I believe with 1.8 zetec
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

Jim Hearne

Sep 11, 2019, 10:07:02 AM9/11/19
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
That would fit.
The older one is probably a B5 and the newer one maybe a IB5, if you compare the 2 you will see more webs in the casting if it’s a IB5

russ price

Sep 11, 2019, 4:10:00 PM9/11/19
to Quantum Owners Group
Bill- Thanks for the part numbers i'll keep them in mind but it looks like i should go with a stronger box if possible

Jim- Is this what i'm looking for? If i understand correctly it maybe from a 2000 car but it's a '96 g/box - ebay

Russ

russ price

Sep 12, 2019, 5:35:55 AM9/12/19
to Quantum Owners Group
Bill- Seems i jumped the gun, is one of the gearboxes you have a an IB5?
Russ

bill

Sep 12, 2019, 6:04:52 AM9/12/19
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I’ll have to take another look Russ, i only looked at it from above, not where extra webbing is
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.

russ price

Sep 13, 2019, 6:53:11 AM9/13/19
to Quantum Owners Group
Bill - Thanks for looking.