XR2 Master Cylinder Repair Kit

Dave the Subbie

Apr 6, 2021, 10:13:43 AM4/6/21
to Quantum Owners Group
Hi all!

Some Good News at last!

The late XR2 Master Cylinders (smooth steel barrelled ones) are unavailable, as most of you will know. And the repair kits available on eBay, etc are for the early, cast items and don't fit. BEWARE: There is one advert on there that is quite adamant that it does fit, but it doesn't - look at the contents. I bought one hoping it was the wrong photo, but it wasn't, so that was £15 wasted..!

The Good News: I have just identified a kit that does the job. It has the correct size piston seals, the reservoir seals (including the strange shaped rear one that the yellow plastic cover on the rear goes into), the O-ring for the yellow plastic cover and the seal for the back of the cover where the piston comes out. It even has the shims that sit behind the piston seals. In short, it's the complete kit!

As it's listed for a different car, I bought one to make sure it was the right thing, and successfully rebuilt the master cylinder on our white Saloon this weekend.

I need another one for my blue 2+2, and a spare, and, as they come from Germany, I have ordered a batch of 10 kits to save on p&p. If anyone is interested, just let me know and I will post you one. Even with postage, they should be less than £20 each.

(Although I did think it might be interesting to put one on eBay to see what an XR2 restorer would pay for it...!) ;-)

Obviously, they are only seal kits, so if the reservoir, plastic cover, bore or piston are U/S then they won't help, but if, like ours, it was just the seals leaking, then it's a whole lot easier than trying to find something similar, modifying the servo brackets/brake pipes, etc.

Well, I thought that it was good news, anyway! And that has to be worth something this year...

Dave.

Andy Heaton

Apr 7, 2021, 3:46:25 AM4/7/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Well done Dave can you send in details to our editor who can then put the info in our mag for those who are not on the net. I also have 2 different sets of seal kits from Germany we ought to compare part numbers.
Regards Andy Heaton

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/04ec727b-6779-4fc0-8e96-dc23325e0a30n%40googlegroups.com.

Dave the Subbie

Apr 23, 2021, 5:52:48 AM4/23/21
to Quantum Owners Group
Yes, will do.

I got the kits last week.  I need one and a spare and I have sold one, so that leaves seven. If anyone wants one then they work out at £16.99 inc p&p. Just drop me a line.

Will put the spare ones on eBay shortly.

Just out of interest, my Series 1 hatch has Mk1 Fiesta MacPherson struts, and, when I rebuilt them, the plastic top hat spacers at the top of them had broken up. I couldn't get them through Ford and so I had some of them made up. There were a few spare pairs of them, if they are any use to anyone. I think the Mk2s are different, so probably not applicable to most Quantums.

My Series 1 (S/N 013) is based on a Mk1 Fiesta, with a bought-in CVH engine and 5-speed box (+ Mk2 XR2 dash!). Which, I believe, makes it eligible to be Tax and MoT exempt, as it's first Reg is 1978. I called DVLA and they were supportive, although I haven't done the paperwork yet.

Has anyone else been down that route?

Dave.

susanandmartin

Apr 23, 2021, 6:26:07 AM4/23/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

My Rickman is now on the Historic Vehicle tax (ie zero cost) – handy after paying out a very large sum (compared to a modern car) for many years! Anyway, as long as it’s correctly registered as Quantum, and not a Q-plate, and the date of registration is over 30 years, it qualifies on 1st April the following year. As for MOT exemption, it needs to be 30 years without any major conversion, so will maybe need careful timing? I haven’t gone the ‘no MOT’ route with the Rickman yet (and it’s worth checking if insurance is still valid) – I may do so, not to avoid a test, (because I think it’s worth getting another pair of eyes inspecting), but so that I can get a fresh MOT every 2 years due to low mileage, and it gives a little flexibility to do repairs without a ‘panic due date’ if the weather is bad and I want to repair outside.  I’m surprised they allowed the no MOT route, but I guess most ‘accidents’ happen due to the nut behind the wheel rather than mechanical failure. Old cars need some ‘extra care’ though……… Old tyres are a particular danger, and one E-type owner on Pistonheads rejoiced in being able to drive on 19 year old tyres because they had plenty of tread left! The Ethanol in petrol destroying fuel hoses needs careful consideration (ask Geoff), and I had one go pop on the Rickman 1 day after if was MOT passed.

Martin Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

bill

Apr 23, 2021, 6:44:33 AM4/23/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin, tax and test exempt is stated for over 40 years old from date of manufacture with no major modifications in the last 30 years. I’ve a motorcycle that was first registered in 1985 but was actually manufactured in 1981, so tax exempt from next year (April) I would be interested to see the details  that would give it tax exemption at 30 years old, what I’ve got from dvla web site although vague doesn’t seem to back up, it would be nice to have it confirmed.
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

susanandmartin

Apr 23, 2021, 7:04:14 AM4/23/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Absolutely – You are correct. I didn’t realise that much time had flown by! My Rickman has registration date 1976, was modified some time between 1988 and 1989, so ok for MOT exemption?

The Quantum date of registration is 2009 (date of SVA), so there’ll probably be no petrol available when it reaches 40 years – and I’ll also be 90 😊

Martin

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

bill

Apr 23, 2021, 7:12:31 AM4/23/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Registered many years before they were first manufactured then 😉 I think mot and tax exemption are both 40 years from first registration or manufacture

Sent from my iPhone

mga...@yahoo.com

Apr 23, 2021, 7:25:36 AM4/23/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

I think I may have identified the downside of choosing to trade in my old 2+2 for the 2½ year old factory demonstrator, which had all the bells and whistles. At the time having a Quantum with a nearly-new registration number seemed like a great idea, compared with my old Q’s donor-era F plate. But that means I have to wait a whole extra decade to save on car tax. Bah.

Matthew

Apr 23, 2021, 7:49:13 AM4/23/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

The registration date for the Rickman is from the donor Ford Escort – it may have the same number as the donor, I don’t know as I didn’t build it. It is correctly registered as Rickman. More recently DVLA would either have the registration date as either the donor or the date it was converted with a kit – there seemed to be no ‘set rule’. By the time of my Quantum SVA it had changed to ‘registration date is when it’s SVA’d’, but it retains the emission regs for the original (1987) fiesta (thankfully). Quantums to avoid buying, of course, are ones still registered as Fiesta.

My Calvy Mitchel has date of registration 1970 and date of manufacture 1971 – very strange!