Xtreme Tyre Choice

Steve Kodź

Jul 12, 2021, 6:02:07 AM7/12/21
to Quantum Owners Group
I need to replace the front tyres on my Xtreme as they are down to 2mm.
My car gets fast road use, wet and dry, so I need an all round tyres.
Energy saver tyres are out, because the job of a tyre is to stick to the
road, not to have minimal rolling resistance.

The Toyo TR1 sounds like a decent tyre, but wondering if anyone else has
fitted something else that would be recommended. Lots of complaints that
this tyre has soft side walls, but that would be well suited to an
Xtreme, rather than a 2 ton car.

Regards,
Steve

--
h4-turbo.co.uk
quantumowners.co.uk

robert greig

Jul 12, 2021, 6:43:07 AM7/12/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I've been thinking about getting some tyers too.
Was thinking maybe all season!

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.

karl waller

Jul 12, 2021, 7:16:00 AM7/12/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I did all the research a few months ago in replacing Toyo Proxes R888's
I was told by more than one 'expert' the Toyo TR1 are not suitable
I went for Nankang 195 50 R 15 86W XL Street Compound Sportnex NS-2R Semi Slick Tyres
Available from Demon Tweaks direct or via their ebay shop

Hope this helps

Karl

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/quantumowners/580774080.6350821.1626086577291%40mail.yahoo.com.

Steve Kodź

Jul 12, 2021, 7:34:26 AM7/12/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Karl. These are probably more track focused than I would want. It sounds like they need some heat in them to work, which on cold mornings isn't going to happen. What is your Xtreme usage, mostly track or road?

I'd be interested to hear why an 'expert' thinks the TR1 wouldn't be suitable.

Regards,
Steve

Bill Allison

Jul 12, 2021, 8:06:37 AM7/12/21
to 'Steve Kodź' via Quantum Owners Group
Can't claim to be an "expert" (is there any such thing?) but I am very fussy about tyres and have just replaced the nearly new Toyo TR1's on my saloon because they offered very poor grip especially on damp or wet surfaces compared to the previous BF Goodrich gGrip which are now discontinued in my size (195/45/15). I'm now using Contisport Contact 2 which have truly amazing wet and dry grip, but might be too noisy / uncomfortable for some (yyres are a compromise, I prioritise safety). I have, by the way, always found performance to be strongly linked to price. You do get what you pay for.

HTH
Best regards
Bill

Bill Allison
Borders Group of Advanced Motorists
National Observer
(Cars)
07702 739474
01750 22550 (before 21:00 please)

The contents of this message, and any attachments, may include information that is private and confidential and should not be read by persons other than the intended addressee(s). IAM RoadSmart nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to check the email and any attachments. If you have received this email in error, please inform the sender and delete the message from your computer. IAM RoadSmart is a trading name. IAM RoadSmart is a trademark. Charity number: 249002 (England and Wales) SC041201 (Scotland). Registered Address: 1 Albany Place, Hyde Way, Welwyn Garden City AL7 3BT.

Chris Young

Jul 12, 2021, 8:31:50 AM7/12/21
to quantumowners
I had

Toyo Proxes R1R 195/50 R15

When I had the V8 Xtreme, can't recall if they do them anymore.

I was happy with them,  they would aqua plain tho across a puddle, but just a wet road they were prob better than less slick tyres .. ie as long as the rubber can get to the tarmac.

(from my mobile)

bobbycraigis

Jul 12, 2021, 9:25:48 AM7/12/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
I have R1R s on my turbo 2+2 (Matthews old car) these are great for fast road an handle the torque that previous tyres couldn't.  Also done 2 trips to France some in torrential rain and had no problems. 2+2 is a bit heavier than the Xtreme though.

Bob

Sent from my Galaxy

rob hancock

Jul 12, 2021, 2:11:07 PM7/12/21
to 'Martin Hodnett' via Quantum Owners Group
Hi Bill
TR1,s are generally known a "ditchfinders"
Regards Rob

rob hancock

Jul 12, 2021, 2:14:33 PM7/12/21
to 'Martin Hodnett' via Quantum Owners Group
I have r888r,s on my xtreme phenomenal grip in the dry, you will have to ask Paul Fennings what they are like in the wet ,I have never tried them!!
Rob

IMPORTANT NOTE: All information presented herewith is provided on an "As Is" basis, without warranty or the implication thereof. Neither the Quantum Owners Club nor the individuals associated with the Quantum Owners Club or in the preparation of the above information shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the instructions contained within this or related message(s).
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quantum Owners Group" group.

Steve Kodź

Jul 15, 2021, 6:32:19 AM7/15/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com

Karl,

Reviews of those Nankangs sound good and even a positive comment about wet handling. The R888s are definitely too track focused for my requirements, so I was wondering if you have any feedback on the Nankangs in cold wet conditions on your car (an Xtreme?).

Regards,
Steve

karl waller

Jul 16, 2021, 5:21:11 AM7/16/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve
I chose them on the strength of the research I did, only done 2-300 miles on them, none in anger in the wet - we shall see

Karl

Steve Kodź

Jul 16, 2021, 5:23:32 AM7/16/21
to quantu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Karl. My research suggests they should be suitable, but it is such a lottery as no one has the same vehicle, driving style and usage pattern.

Regards,
Steve