Thought's on Dr. Wolfgang Smith.

Gregory

Jun 4, 2018, 7:41:24 PM6/4/18
to Quaestiones Disputatae: The Ite ad Thomam Forum
Before I discovered the River Forest movement I started reading the writings of Dr. Smith. He is a Platonist and has some theological errors such as the belief that angels are corporeal. I was wondering how the river forest people feel about his works. I know Fr. William Wallace gave a positive review of the quantum enigma, but there are times in his writings that I feel uneasy. In his discourse with Malachi Martin, he mentioned how he fells Hans Urs von Balthasar was a great theologian.

A. A.

Apr 3, 2019, 7:41:37 PM4/3/19
to Quaestiones Disputatae: The Ite ad Thomam Forum
Yes, he's influenced by "eastern philosophies" etc. He's not known to be a Thomist in the sense that, e.g., Dr. Ed Feser is.

Heloísa Gusmão

Apr 3, 2019, 10:40:43 PM4/3/19
to quaestione...@googlegroups.com
What about the influences of perennialism in his teachings? Isn't he a perennialist as René Guénon was, Schuon was , Coomaraswamy was etc.?
What about his relation with the brasilian philoaopher Olavo de Caravalho? And the doccumentary about the concept of "miracle" that he appers with Mr. de Carvalho?
Is Dr. Smith a real catholic scientist or is he a gnostic one?

A. A.

May 28, 2019, 8:10:58 PM5/28/19
to Quaestiones Disputatae: The Ite ad Thomam Forum
Wolfgang Smith is actually professor of mathematics.

Br. Ansgar Santogrossi

May 30, 2019, 7:33:57 PM5/30/19
to quaestione...@googlegroups.com
Wolfgang Smith is heavily influenced by Gnosticism, especially the French gnostic Rene Guenon, who became a Moslem and considered that all the widespread and major religions are expressions of an original "Tradition".  Smith's critique of Teilhard de Chardin had much of value in it, but much of his original work is shot through with Gnosticism, which has deceived a certain number of Catholics in France over the years. People should be warned.
Br Ansgar Santogrossi, OSB
Adjunct Professor
Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary (FSSP)