Pytroll Contributor Week May 2–6 2022

Holl Gerrit

Apr 12, 2022, 11:38:49 AM4/12/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

we are happy to announce the next Pytroll Contributor Week (PCW), which will take place from Monday 2 May to Friday 6 May 2022. The meeting will be held virtually at https://gather.town/i/IVnr7vdD . The gather.town virtual conference venue boasts a tropical beach (by day), a rooftop skyline (by night), fine dining, jukeboxes, comfortable sofas, whiteboards, and, most importantly, Pytroll developers (subject to time zones) — all at your fingertips — so don't miss it! Participation is free of charge.

The PCW is for everyone who wants to learn and/or work with Pytroll modules. The event is tailored for people who are already familiar with Pytroll modules and want to learn more or contribute code or documentation. The interaction with the core developers makes it quicker to form a plan on how to solve an issue or add a new feature.

Over the years many users participated to learn about Pytroll, through installing modules from scratch and running through tutorials (for example, https://github.com/pytroll/tutorial-satpy-half-day). The in-person interaction with the core developers in the past made it easy to ask quick questions to clarify some points that may not be obvious when running the tutorial.

Due to the virtual nature of the event, the interactions in this PCW will be different from in-person events. For those of you who are interested in learning to use Pytroll modules, we encourage you to use our chatrooms on slack to ask questions (a specific #learning channel is available). We can organize a dedicated Q&A session if needed.

In order to give every participant the right permissions for the different tools we will be using, please register your attendance by 23 April by entering your details into this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CURMwBgvBnTMMy2LHa_gSTE0YiG8ymoat-6fKCOcggE/edit?usp=sharing

If you intend to work with improving Pytroll modules, please register issues, pull requests or notes on the issue board set up for the event at https://github.com/orgs/pytroll/projects/10

This way we can follow the progress of everyone and form teams of related interests.

Please tell us if you can't access the board so that we can fix the permissions for you.

Since we won't be physically in the same place, we will have many time zones to cover. We will gather in video-meetings in gather.town at regular intervals for short status updates. The times for these meetings will be:

03:00, 07:00, 11:00, 15:00, 19:00, 23:00 UTC

Of course, we expect participants to only join those meetings that suit their work schedule and timezone. The opening meetings will take place on Monday 2 May at 07:00 UTC (Europe and Asia/Oceania) and 15:00 UTC (Europe and Americas).

In-between status meetings, further meetings can be held as needed on the virtual platform at gather.town. Additional communication can be held on the Pytroll slack.

We are excited to meet many of you in our amazing conference venue at https://gather.town/i/IVnr7vdD between 2 May and 6 May (where else do you have a sunny tropical beach and a city skyline by night accessible by a one-minute walk?). Please do not hesitate to share this announcement with anyone who you think might be interested.

Best regards,
Gerrit Holl (DWD) on behalf of the PCW organizers

--
Gerrit Holl (he/him/his, er/ihn/sein)
Remote Sensing Application Development

Holl Gerrit

Apr 22, 2022, 10:26:56 AM4/22/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

as a friendly reminder, please don't forget to register your attendance to the Pytroll Contributor Week.

Best regards,
Gerrit Holl.

Over the years many users participated to learn about Pytroll, through installing modules from scratch and running through tutorials (for example, https://ofcsg2dvf1.dwd.de/fmlurlsvc/?fewReq=:B:JV07MDU5Oyd3PDMvMSdoZTwxMDsxMCdyaGZvYHV0c2Q8ODJkYGVjZ2diODIwNzU3NWBlMjU5ZTYyNWRlOWNnNzMwMmM0ZTRgMid1PDA3NTg2NjkyMzkncGhlPDMyQkdrUltbMTEzNjI0LDMyQkdrUltgMTEzNjI0J3NicXU8RmRzc2h1L0lubW1BZXZlL2VkJ2I8NDMnaWVtPDE=&url=https%3a%2f%2fgithub.com%2fpytroll%2ftutorial-satpy-half-day ). The in-person interaction with the core developers in the past made it easy to ask quick questions to clarify some points that may not be obvious when running the tutorial.

https://ofcsg2dvf1.dwd.de/fmlurlsvc/?fewReq=:B:JV07MDU5Oyd3PDMvMSdoZTwxMDsxMCdyaGZvYHV0c2Q8Nzc0MjlgYmI0MmBkMWBnNzQ0NTFkNDkwNjk1YzcwOWQ0M2c2ZzdjNSd1PDA3NTg2NjkyMzkncGhlPDMyQkdrUltbMTEzNjI0LDMyQkdrUltgMTEzNjI0J3NicXU8RmRzc2h1L0lubW1BZXZlL2VkJ2I8OTUnaWVtPDE=&url=https%3a%2f%2fdocs.google.com%2fspreadsheets%2fd%2f1CURMwBgvBnTMMy2LHa_gSTE0YiG8ymoat-6fKCOcggE%2fedit%3fusp%3dsharing

If you intend to work with improving Pytroll modules, please register issues, pull requests or notes on the issue board set up for the event at https://ofcsg2dvf1.dwd.de/fmlurlsvc/?fewReq=:B:JV07MDU5Oyd3PDMvMSdoZTwxMDsxMCdyaGZvYHV0c2Q8ZDk1YGNgNDI0NWRkNmc2ZTkxNTYxMmA0N2M4OGcwZDI3NTQ4ODZnZCd1PDA3NTg2NjkyMzkncGhlPDMyQkdrUltbMTEzNjI0LDMyQkdrUltgMTEzNjI0J3NicXU8RmRzc2h1L0lubW1BZXZlL2VkJ2I8NDMnaWVtPDE=&url=https%3a%2f%2fgithub.com%2forgs%2fpytroll%2fprojects%2f10

[...]

Hinweis (DWD): Mindestens eine URL in dieser E-Mail wurde vom Schadsoftware-Erkennungssystem als potentiell gefährlich eingestuft und so umgeschrieben, dass ein Klick darauf diese zunächst auf gefährliche Downloads hin untersucht, bevor Inhalte angezeigt werden. Die Analyse erfolgt ohne menschliches Zutun voll automatisiert. Der Datenschutz ist gewährleistet. Es kann einige Sekunden dauern, bis die Inhalte angezeigt werden.
Der Originalabsender dieser E-Mail ist: pytroll+bncBCK4F3GHRA...@googlegroups.com. Wenn Ihnen dieser unbekannt ist, so sollten Sie die enthaltenen Links nicht anklicken.

lobsiger...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2022, 12:50:08 PM4/25/22
to pytroll
Dear all,

I will not attent this PCW as I'm an old man that has no headset or camera on any of my 30 computers. I made 3 PyCoast PRs. My first PR ever solves a bug that has made it to the agenda of different PCWs in the past. My third PR is about 'cities' overlays. It's kind of big for a standard PR (I have also created a couple of additional symbols that can be used with 'cities' and 'points'). As I have copied most of the code from 'points' yufeizhu600 (as author of 'points') might have a look at that.

Best regards,
Ernst