hugh ik solver maya bug?

Rudi Hammad

Aug 13, 2021, 6:22:47 AM8/13/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya

hello,

I noticed something very weird in maya 2018, and 2019 (not in maya 2022).
It is very simple. Let's say we have 2 separate chains or one chain of joints. The goal is to create two iks. So we create on ik as rotate plane solver between joint 1 and 3, and another ik as SC solver between joints 3 and 4 or even in the other chain of joints.
This is literally what is happening. When I change the type of any of the iks, the all become the same type.
In fact, if the first Ik I created was rotate plane solver, and the second a SC solver,  automatically, the firt ik become a SC solver aswell.

¿¿¿???
what could be happening?

vince touache

Aug 13, 2021, 11:22:59 AM8/13/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
i m not in front of my machine, but isnt it just a gui bug?

Rudi Hammad

Aug 13, 2021, 1:49:31 PM8/13/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
I though that at the beginning, that maybe it just displaying scSolver when it actually a RPSolver, but it is not.
I have to complete separate chain. I set the first one as RP solver, and the seconde as SC solver. So far so good. Now, Y go to the SC solver one, change it to RP solver, and again,
back to the SC solver, and the first chain that is completly unrelated and that I am not touching, changes to SC solver too.

Rudi Hammad

Aug 13, 2021, 1:51:47 PM8/13/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
it one of thouse things that if I don't capture on video is hard to believe, but it happened, I promise!! XD

Marcus Ottosson

Aug 14, 2021, 3:30:23 AM8/14/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

I got curious and had a look in 2019. It’s a UI issue.

ikwrong2

Notice how I selected that second joint chain, but am still affecting the first? Bug bug bug.

ikfix

Here it’s “fixed” by copying the AE. Notice how both AEs tell me it’s editing the same node, ikHandle3. When really, that combobox is being naughty.

Rudi Hammad

Aug 14, 2021, 2:42:44 PM8/14/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Great, thanks for capturing the bug.
How weird that this wasn't  noticed by autodesk sin ik solvers are used a lot in rigging. It happens in maya 2018 and 2019. In 2022 it is fixed. Haven't tried 2020 nor 2021